New R50, need some help

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

alexvuk82

New R50, need some help

Post by alexvuk82 »

Hi there everyone, good to meet you all!

Proud owner of two R50's unrestricted. One Matte black, one red.

My red headed step child ran like a BULLET out of the gates but after about 3 weeks I started to have some issues. Man I loved it

Performance loss ( girl friends matte black pulled on me slightly now )
High pitch "whizzing" sound while accelerating and engine braking. Sound is coming from the engine. Also on a cold start the bike will not accelerate from a stop for about a second, just hesitates then takes off. Sound still remains when bike is warmed up but and rides better but not great.

Dealer diagnosed the clutch was bad, problem remains and they do not not what the problem is.

Fuel drips from the filter box once the bike is off no matter if I'm at a full tank/half tank etc.

I'll take a video of the issue and submit tomorrow.

Its been back and forth with the dealership here in vegas, so I might be stuck fixing it myself.

Got this bike back last time and they didn't tighten the CVT cover bolts to spec so now I'm missing some, also pinched the carb drain line behind the CVT cover... :shock: yeah...

Anyway any advice would be appreciated. I know you all wont be truly able to diag without a sound profile, so I'll have that up tomorrow.

Matte Black R50 still runnin like a bullet!
White R50
Matte R50 NCY Variator 6.5g rollers
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Ok, well here is the video

https://youtu.be/mOqVwtOLWU0

Thanks!
White R50
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Well, I haven't heard a sound like that before. Did they replace the entire clutch assembly or just the clutch itself?

Unbolt the CVT cover and see what's going on. Don't forget the bolt behind the kickstarter. You can run the engine with the cover removed, this might give you a better idea of where it's coming from.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

aves-

Yeah dude, no one has according to the dealership. This is a "new thing"

According to the dealership they replaced part number P112351000 Outer Body Clutch.

I'll take the cover off this weekend and possibly get more sound clips, Might also bust out the stethoscope so I can isolate the sound.
White R50
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Your dealer told you the clutch bell was shot and needed replaced at 1,600 miles? You need to find a new dealer. No way on earth that thing needs replaced at 1,600 miles.

You need to take off the variator cover. Real easy, 6 - 8mm bolts. I suspect you will find your belt shredding, or something going on with your clutch carrier assembly.

Run it with the variator cover off, rev it up, and see what the belt is doing. There are plenty of youtube videos showing what what should be going on. As you rev your engine, the belt should be going out on the front variator and going in on the rear clutch.

Next step is to remove the clutch and take a look at the pads. I'd run the engine with the belt and clutch removed just to verify the noise is no longer there with the belt un-installed.

Did they replace the bell under warranty?

Is it acting the same way as before you had them work on it?

Your fuel issues sound like a problem with the carb float or petcock.

Is your scooter under warranty? Any other dealers in town?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Here is a short video I made on my C3 clutch removal. The holder can be made with a scrap of plywood and $3.00 worth of hardware from Ace:

https://www.facebook.com/abner.bjorn/vi ... 127105475/
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Yep, these guys don't know what they are doing, and made the problem worse in the process and this has been going on for months now ( October ).

Yes, they did replace the bell under warranty but the same problem shown and described still remains and its getting worse with the acceleration hesitation and all.

Scooter is under warranty, and no...I kinda have to deal...with this so called "dealer"

Thanks for the explanation and the advice. I'll check out this video and do the diag on during the weekend when I have some time and post the results.
White R50
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You're dealing with these guys: Scooter Nation? They get good reviews on Yelp.

Put a post in the general section looking for someone who knows buddy 50's in Vegas. Same engine. If you were in my town, I'd gladly help you out.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Don't let the reviews fool you, obviously right?

I just called them today, they fired their store manager...again! Pretty nasty on Google reviews too.

I'll take that into consideration, kinda afraid to take it back to the dealership!

:shock:
White R50
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Do remember that you can take it to any Genuine dealer for warranty service. So if you have the means and availability, haul it to another dealer.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Update for today

So after having a long talk with the owner of the dealership, the guys seemed much for willing to help me out with my scooter.

They swapped out everything behind the cvt cover. Clutch assembly, belt, variator fan, variator, and even the start gear ( not sure what its called but its behind the variator ) from a BRAND new r50 ( same color even LOL) 2 miles on the odo.

STILL the FREAKIN noise remains!!! So, the mechanic deemed it an engine problem and now I'm waiting to for owner to get back to me...think I'll ask for a new bike.
White R50
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

alexvuk82 wrote:Update for today

So after having a long talk with the owner of the dealership, the guys seemed much for willing to help me out with my scooter.

They swapped out everything behind the cvt cover. Clutch assembly, belt, variator fan, variator, and even the start gear ( not sure what its called but its behind the variator ) from a BRAND new r50 ( same color even LOL) 2 miles on the odo.

STILL the FREAKIN noise remains!!! So, the mechanic deemed it an engine problem and now I'm waiting to for owner to get back to me...think I'll ask for a new bike.
At least all this this isn't costing you a dime (At least it better not be, as everything described seems to be WARRANTY).
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I am going in a different direction since the "diagnosis/repair" didn't solve your problem. Have you checked the exhaust? Specifically the gasket between exhaust port and engine and the muffler gasket. Sounds more like an exhaust leak than a clutch problem.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Yalzin- Very true and I plan on taking full advantage of the warranty, hence thats what we all paid for.

Agro- I will have them check that also! Didn't think about that one, so thanks.

Yeah, obviously not a drive train issue at this point, we've got that ruled out.
White R50
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Be patient and let the warranty process work itself out before you cause a stink. Genuine has a great team and they'll get it fixed up. Asking for a replacement scooter just hurts the dealer (been there :( )
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I was thinking clutch bearings or an issue with the clutch sheave itself. I don't think the noise is coming from the engine itself. It would be constant. It sounds like a bearing noise. The transmission gear cover could be pulled in about 15 minutes. A gasket is $6 or so. I would pull it and check the bearings. There are six inside the case.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Right. I'm not out to burn any bridges or start trouble. Now that the owner is involved with this issue and seems to be serious about this I'm going to be patient like you said.

Guess I'm just a huge advocate for doing things right the first time.
White R50
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Just like avescoots. I have worked on quite a few RH50's and have never heard that noise.

This will sound silly, but I would ride the bike up a hill and ride it down engine off and see if it still does it. You ( or the dealer) needs to isolate just where that noise is coming from. I do feel its in the engine, but can't be sure.

The good news? The RH50 is one tough scoot, and Genuine is a great company for taking care of their customers. They will get it worked out.

Does it only do it when throttle is off on decel or on the throttle,too?

Let us know what they find. I hope to never hear that noise, but would love to know what it is.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Listened again, check in the fan housing. It could be something hitting the plastic fan...

The mechanic in me wants to come out and fix it. LOL
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

With the owner of the dealership now involved hes pretty insistent to take care of everything now, which is good because I really don't have the time :)

But, I do check the this forum and continue to feed them information on what to do so I do appreciate all commentary.

The whizzing noise is present during acceleration and decel at the lower end of the rpm band.

I have isolated the sound and it IS coming from the cooling fan area, and made SURE they were aware of this at the dealership.

No one truly knows what this weird sound is, could be something stupid like a fan baring which is what I though it was to begin with like you said viney.

I will be calling them everyday, so I'll keep you all posted
White R50
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Update for today;

So I got some bad news :cry:

Compression test was performed per tech at Genuine. Failed 30 PSI/140!!!

Uh, how was the bike even running?

Tech at the dealership also pulled the plug, from what he could tell I blew a seal/motor damage etc. Wish I had a pic.

So now waiting for the warranty company again...told the owner I wanted a new bike or my money back hah
White R50
peterp2

Post by peterp2 »

Take your scooter to Vegas Motorsports, Chris is a pro they used to be the genuine dealer in the area. A2z is a bunch of losers-by far the worst shop in vegas. There is no way your scooter would run if you only had 30 psi compression.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Engine blown at 1,600 miles? My question is... HOW
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Damn, thanks peterp2.

I don't know wtf is going on over there with those guys, but I totally agree with you.

I'm going over there today after work to see whats up.
White R50
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Yeah.. it wouldn't run at all with 30psi of compression. They need at least 110ish to halfway run. Unless they're saying that to get a new engine from Genuine. Who knows
vegasbud

Post by vegasbud »

Scooter Nation pays for reviews ! If your Rs needs repairs Vegas Motor Sports , they where the dealers be for Scooter nation was... Chris is the one you need , He has built twostroke motors for Years not days like scooter Nation ! lol

That tech that told you your motor had 30 psi of compression has no clue ! Hey in the early 90's Chris built and raced Banshees here in Vegas and on the Mickey Thompson races , and won ! He bult all the motors so he does have some experience .. The only way they will fix it is if Genuine gives them a Motor!! Don't ask them to rebuild it , you think you have problems just wait ! Just talking from experience here go see VMS they even built goped motors for me infact his son was number 3 in the world in Goquad racing at the world finals ! Who do you think built it ?

I just hope you get it fixed ,with only 1600 miles that sucks
peterp2

Post by peterp2 »

How did you make out?
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Sorry folks, been hella busy workin.

Anyway, I should be getting my bike back from the dealer tomorrow.

Turned out the cylinder head was bad, tried to say I ran the bike out of oil. Which I obviously never did, so no worries there.

I'll get back to you guys after I get the bike back for the final verdict.

But yeah who would of known they needed to replace the top end right?

Hope it fixes the issue.
White R50
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

What kind of oil were you using?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

RoaringTodd wrote:What kind of oil were you using?

Oh boy, that thought crossed my mind.
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Motul Scooter 2 cycle...

Bike is still in the shop...been a month now, stay away from scooter nation. A2z closeouts.
White R50
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Motul Scooter Expert 2T Motor Oil

For all scooters and also for the latest generation of 2 stroke direct injection scooters, sport scooters and replicas
100% synthetic
For engines that meet the new Euro II standards : AP I TC, JASO FC, ISO-L-EGO
White R50
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Well, had another long talk with the owner of Scooter nation here in fabulous las vegas.

I pretty much gave the guy three options, give me a new bike, give me my money back or we go to court.

He agreed to give me a brand new rough house so I go in today and finalize the transaction, hopefully he lives up to his word.

I'll keep yall posted.
White R50
FromHereToThere

alexvuk82 wrote:Well, had another long talk with the owner of Scooter nation here in fabulous las vegas.

I pretty much gave the guy three options, give me a new bike, give me my money back or we go to court.

He agreed to give me a brand new rough house so I go in today and finalize the transaction, hopefully he lives up to his word.

I'll keep yall posted.

Can't go wrong there.
alexvuk82

Post by alexvuk82 »

Nope, and I just got back home with a brand spankin new roughhouse with a no BS policy included.

Back in the game folks!
White R50
FromHereToThere

alexvuk82 wrote:Nope, and I just got back home with a brand spankin new roughhouse with a no BS policy included.

Back in the game folks!

Fantastic news! Break her in right! Pics!