"warm up" for flasher to work? WTF?!?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

"warm up" for flasher to work? WTF?!?

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Ok, maybe this has been asked before...

my '12 4T has the black thermal flasher unit (according to the station shop manual p. 33 there are blue, green and black ones) and it lights, buzzes but takes 5-10 minutes to start to flash and if I shut it down even for a few minute it won't flash again...WTF?!

On the multimmeter I get a rising resistance (148ish to start and it climbs into the 190's then drops into 160's)...

I'm getting a might peeved at this point. :?
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Replace it?
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Backordered....

But it looks like my "new" battery (less than 1 1/2 yo) is bad, won't charge past 75% and was at 33% when I pulled it...

Looks like (by the wiring diagram) they run off the battery that in turn gets recharged by the stator.... not directly from the scoots system.

Damn that means new battery....agm?
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

I had an issue that was draining my battery... A faulty LED rear bulb had corroded and I guess shorted. I would charge my batt, and it would only be good for a few days before all my blinkers sounded near-silent and were dim.

Replaced my rear brake and light bulbs with some decent incandescent ones, charged my batt and all is well after a week.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

i'm still stock on all the bulbs...I'll look into swapping those out

thanx for the idea, hadn't thought of those.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

You should be able to find a new flasher at any auto parts store, they are pretty universal. Genuine ain't gonna be stocking those parts anymore.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

the genuine part has an odd shape, larger square than most and a ridge the rubber strap goes against....otherwise it's a two pin.

I'd have to figure out a way top hang a generic replacement...motorcycle ones do have a clip-thingy on their sides....hmmm, I can find a place for that one...
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

I just wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around the top of an after market one and it keeps it in place.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

I haven't met a Stella owner without a pack of zip ties in their glovebox, you may be the first! :P
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011B ... UTF8&psc=1

and for curiosity these too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018G ... UTF8&psc=1

had a gift cert...so it ended up being free for me.
figured what the hell, lets give it a try :)
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I cantt get your links to work for nuthin.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Awesome, I am going to try this out thanks for posting.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

there is a little gap between the new flasher and the frame, but a bit of foam rubber to fill it (and put a little tension on the band) should take care of it.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Careful with the LEDs, been a while since I looked at the wiring diagram, but I know some of the lights (taillight, stoplight, and running light for certain) switch from the DC circuit when the engine is off (so they can run on battery power) to the AC circuit when the engine is running (so the battery has more juice to charge). I don't remember if the turn signals do or not, but AC is not good for LEDs.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Careful with the LEDs, been a while since I looked at the wiring diagram, but I know some of the lights (taillight, stoplight, and running light for certain) switch from the DC circuit when the engine is off (so they can run on battery power) to the AC circuit when the engine is running (so the battery has more juice to charge). I don't remember if the turn signals do or not, but AC is not good for LEDs.
The wiring diagram has it running off the battery then it recharges as it runs, doesn't look like a direct circuit to the stator.

but so far it's been working with out problems...