yet another electric bug...

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

yet another electric bug...

Post by EvilNerdLord »

So far my '12 stella has been pretty bug free free in the electrics. A pinched/broken horn wire and the turn signal bulbs sockets in the speedo that popped out has been about it.

But now my turn signal seem to occasionally won't blink...I hit the switch, they come on (either side, not both sides at once) and just glow, no blinky no annoying sound...I think I have it traced to the front left socket not having a good connection to the wires because when I pull the socket fron the lens and wiggle the connections a bit, it blinks again...I have the rubber boot pulled off the socket and slid up the wire out of the way.

Wonder if a 'hard' solder connection would be better or new plug ends or new plastic socket would be the best fix? Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place and there is another pinch/short somewhere?

I still love my stella, and being able to 'tinker' is actually quite therapeutic...
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Start with the grounds first. When in doubt - clean them.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

right...
I had a feeling I was overlooking something.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

I had that problem. It was loose fittings at the signals. I tightened them and all's been fine.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:I had that problem. It was loose fittings at the signals. I tightened them and all's been fine.
That's what it turned out to be alright, and I too tightened them, both sides to make sure. Then "tested them" by taking a 2 hour ride through farm country and I can safely say the cows I passed where aware of my intentions to change lanes. :P
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

EvilNerdLord wrote:
BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:I had that problem. It was loose fittings at the signals. I tightened them and all's been fine.
That's what it turned out to be alright, and I too tightened them, both sides to make sure. Then "tested them" by taking a 2 hour ride through farm country and I can safely say the cows I passed where aware of my intentions to change lanes. :P
Are you talking about the wire hookup or the actual fixture assembly?
Please clarify and pics would be nice too
Thanks
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

jimmbomb wrote:
EvilNerdLord wrote:
Are you talking about the wire hookup or the actual fixture assembly?
Please clarify and pics would be nice too
Thanks
The plug where the wires attach to the bulb socket (that twists into the lens housing)...tightened both positive and ground, Left and Right sides.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

looks like it's back...

anyone want to guess what I'll be doing this weekend? :)
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

looks like it's the front left... :?

for some reason THAT one wants to be the problem child :?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Now that you've narrowed it down, youre in good shape.
Just wait till 1 of your rear cowel connectors looses its tip.. Thats when the fun starts.
Good luck
J H
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

jimmbomb wrote:Now that you've narrowed it down, youre in good shape.
Just wait till 1 of your rear cowel connectors looses its tip.. Thats when the fun starts.
Good luck
...just like the 'old days' of my CAD work using windows 95 when the software was written for windows 3.x, I had to keep one arm elbow deep in the OS (and learning it's workings) and the other doing my work or the whole thing would roll over and blaze in a blue screen of death :lol: OK, maybe not THAT extreme, but I have to joke about this hide-n-seek game the scooter gods are playing with me. :lol:
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I noticed on your avatar picture your white Stella has black cowel covers? Are those the leather type covers that have the genuine logo embossed on them? Those are very hard to find
J H