Stella 2011 with Sidecar- looking for input. Thanks

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

50CC Cape Cod

Stella 2011 with Sidecar- looking for input. Thanks

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I am interested in buying a 2011 with sidecar with only 60 miles on it.
Long story short original owner hardly used it. I remember not sure if the 2011's had mechanical issues or not. There is no warranty at this time so
my questions are what should be done to get back on the road?
Anything mechanically should be done to a stock 2011. Not looking to upgrade just have a stock mechanically sound ride. The wiring connections have been changed out by the dealership in the steering head area the owner was being proactive since the wiring I think had quality control issues.
Any idea of what a reasonable price range would be for this type of set up?
Last question for those with scooter and sidecars overall are you satisfied
and what is the average speed etc can expect. As long as can do 45-55mph
with rig and approx. 300lbs (2 passengers total).
Looking to do some regular maintenance services fluids, plug, etc myself
but not get into anything that a professional mechanic is preferred for.
Has anyone had anything with major problems with this type setup and at what mileage did they happen. Thanks for any input and help.
Lenny
viney266

Post by viney266 »

a 4T will need help to go 45-55. I would recommend a GPR pipe and a carb upgrade for a little more oomph. I have done both on a friend 4T sidecar. It helped.
I have a 2T sidecar rig, a little faster, but the 4T is better around town. It is a lot of fun, but you can't be in a hurry.

Change the oil more often, go easy on the clutch.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Thanks Vinny
Do you recall if the 2011 had mechanical issues like cranks, or electrical?
Also would want to add the VW steering damper if you know the item #.
Also any idea what a realistic price range for this set up would be?
Lenny
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

I have a 2013 4t with a sidecar that's fairly stock (I have a windscreen and rear luggage rack on the bike, and added lights on the sidecar). Expect about 40ish mph on average around town. Mine will get up to 50 mph on a good day with no wind, and no hitting stop lights on a straightaway. ;) I have the Cozy steering damper on and it does a decent job in calming down the steering shake at certain speeds. I would recommend a canvas bag with some sort of ballast in it for when riding passenger-less (75lbs is a decent amount of ballast for around-town riding).

Not sure what the finicky issues are on a 2011 model.

Change the oil, drain the gas tank, clean the spark plug, check the tightness of the clutch and gear cables. Check the choke cable to be sure when you pull it the air-intake flap is full open. Also look at the rear tire wear, it tends to wear out fast on a sidecar setup.

I love the crud out of it, I get questions and compliments everywhere I go, with lots of requests to ride in the sidecar from pretty ladies. It's also very economical compared to my V8 Thunderbird - I get around 50-80 mpg around town, and put about $5 worth of gas in it every week.

After set up fees, tax, title and license I paid about $8200 for mine in 2014 with 30 miles on it.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Steering damper
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 428&jpid=0

then you need to figure out how to mount it. The best way on the front fork is a 36mm clamp. Shindy still makes one.

Issues on the bike? Not really, change the oil and drive. Its a Stella, so expect some quirky stuff.

The rig? The last one I built for a customer was about $7200 with a damper and a few other accessories.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Argon thanks for the input.
I want to keep stock as well and if can do 40-45mph just stay up with traffic
that would work.
Do you have any pictures of the Cozy steering damper mounted on the scooter and the sidecar lights.
How many miles have you put on your Stella with sidecar and what type of
riding do you mostly do? How long have you had it and amount of maintenance service or repairs have you had?
Thanks
Lenny
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

You'll stay up with the tail-end of traffic. :) I'll take some pics and post later today of the Cozy-supplied dampener.

I bought it with about 30 miles last year and I have 2200 on her now. I mostly drive her around down with stop and go traffic.

Things I've done:

Changed oil, cleaned sparkplug and carb, checked points
Replaced inner clutch cable
Replaced rear tire
Replaced fuel overfill cutoff valve (plastic one under seat at rear of tank)
Tightened brake and shift cables
Replaced some small rubber bits that deteriorated and cracked

I keep mine parked outside with a scooter cover. The sidecar will get little bits of rust on some of the seams and some weld spots, but seems to be holding up well enough here in central Texas. I eventually want to get a better exhaust, cylinder upgrade kit and a performance carb... But after the warranty gives out.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Thanks Argon that info really helps. Sounds like how I want to use the set up as well. I have done some mechanic work limited and saw the video
on just the oil change for the 4T and seemed rather involved. Do you have to remove the sidecar and rear wheel just to do the oil change. A genuine dealer is not close and if this set up will need frequent oil changes wanted to get an idea of what to expect. The other maintenance things you did are
what I would be interested in doing as well. If you have a pic of the sidecar
light please send as well. Thanks for all.
Lenny
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Here is a link to the damper setup I used on my stella/sidecar.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/post200218#200218
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Argon,
Did you have any issues getting the replacement oil filter?
Regarding rust Rust-O-leum paint should help quite a bit.
When you had to replace the clutch inner cable did it snap or had a problem
on the shifter end?
The Stella with sidecar looks great but seems to be a high maintenance scooter that goes with the territory if one wants one.
As long as the fixes can be done without having to depend on dealership
visits.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Here is a pic of the Cozy-supplied steering dampener:

Here are pics of the lights I've installed on the sidecar:

No issues at my dealer in getting the replacement filter. You don't have to take the sidecar off to do an oil service, but you do have to remove the rear wheel. The inner clutch cable frayed down by the clutch lever under the engine... It got real loose shifting and I checked there to notice the pinch bolt was hanging on by a thread! Indeed the Stella isn't a twist-and-go, it demands some TLC and someone who knows how to turn a wrench. But I love working on stuff like that. I will say it also handles like nothing you've ever ridden. It is a hand-full on the road, and I love every second of it.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Nice job the sidecar looks great. I saw the small amber at Summit where did
you find the headlight and tail light?
Glad you are positive and enjoying your ride when you put your own into it
makes it the more rewarding.
Will see about moving forward with my pursuit.
Thanks again.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Thanks!

The taillight I got off of ebay. The headlight I found here: www.nfieldgear.com

But I do not think they make them any more... :(
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

The cozy-supplied dampener is a total P.O.S. that not only requires you to drill both the headset and legshield, it is fairly ineffective after about a year when the rubber block wears a little. The bolts through the headset will eventually wear through the wiring harness causing something to short out (in my case it was the brake lights). A much better and far more effective approach is to fabricate a steering dampener following the directions on this forum, it works extremely well. I did a short run of 5 of these dampeners and sold them through Midwest Action Cycle, there may be a couple still available at the time of this post. Send an email to Sherm Lindsey and ask. Otherwise, only one metal plate needs to be manufactured, about $35 from a metal shop. All the other parts are available online. I think the parts list was also origionally posted on modern vespa under the p200 with sidecar thread.
stella 4t 200 cc engine, tasso pipe and timing slider, ram-air filter and sidecar
stella auto, bone stock
stella 4t 200cc with readspeed CDI, unmodified stock engine