Ordered a Stella 125 automatic and new to the forum

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Elder Scoot

Ordered a Stella 125 automatic and new to the forum

Post by Elder Scoot »

I've been riding since 1964 and have owned many, many (maybe too many) bikes of different types and makes. About 6 years ago I got into scooters and I am hooked. I currently own a BMW C600 Sport and found myself so covered up in high tech I missed the simpler path. I always loved the Stella but did not enjoy the hand shifter. When I found out that Genuine might import the 125 auto I ordered one from my dealer. He told me last week he had placed the order and I should be seeing the bike in a month or two - Candy Apple Red. I saw the order form and new dealer book and yes they are being imported. Oddly - nothing yet on Genuine's site. I look forward to swapping information with y'all (I live in Texas).
Last edited by Elder Scoot on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hackett

Post by hackett »

Welcome aboard. I'm curious to hear how the automatic Stellas turn out.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I actually enjoy shifting, but can certainly see where others would not. I believe that the auto option will increase Stella sales.

Please keep us in the loop, and let us know how it works out.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I think these will sell well for Genuine, I own a pair of 2T shiftys, but I'm actually excited to ride the stellato.

Similar story here, been riding since 72; I have ridden a few scooters over the years, but about 4 years ago really started to enjoy them and some of the people that ride them ( maybe less attitudes and hangups then the motorcycle guys)...but I have to disagree there is no such thing as TOO MANY motorcycles and bikes ;)...the garage is a little thin these days at only 19...4 scoots 15 bikes .
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I've watched some of the videos of the European version of it, and it seems to work ok. It sounds more like a buddy than a Stella, but then again the 4t doesn't sound like it has a motor.
I hope they keep the shifty around for a while, but the stelletto is a logical progression. Bring it on. More Stellas is more stellas.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

viney266 wrote:I think these will sell well for Genuine, I own a pair of 2T shiftys, but I'm actually excited to ride the stellato.

Similar story here, been riding since 72; I have ridden a few scooters over the years, but about 4 years ago really started to enjoy them and some of the people that ride them ( maybe less attitudes and hangups then the motorcycle guys)...but I have to disagree there is no such thing as TOO MANY motorcycles and bikes ;)...the garage is a little thin these days at only 19...4 scoots 15 bikes .
I agree with everything you said - especially the "attitude" part. Riding with a scooter club is a whole bunch of fun with much less attitude per mile than riding with my old Harley group.

I have other hobbies that demand substantial space in my garage (e.g. woodworking, gunsmithing, etc.). If I win the lottery I'll buy a bigger garage for sure.
jmp111181

Post by jmp111181 »

Curious, how much did it run you? When will they be readily available?
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

jmp111181 wrote:Curious, how much did it run you? When will they be readily available?
I haven't gotten a final price yet - but it's supposed to be less expensive than the Stella 4T. Delivery should be in January.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

By the way - Genuine is now offering the bike in Metallic Black. I changed my order yesterday.
jmp111181

Post by jmp111181 »

Ah cool. What colors is it available in?
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

jmp111181 wrote:Ah cool. What colors is it available in?
Candy Apple Red, Blue, and Ivory.
jmp111181

Post by jmp111181 »

Awesome! I think candy apple red's going to be the big winner for me! Can't wait! This is going to be my first scoot. Was going to get the Buddy, but always loved the asthetics of the Stella. Didn't want the manual though, so glad they're coming out with an auto.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

jmp111181 wrote:Awesome! I think candy apple red's going to be the big winner for me! Can't wait! This is going to be my first scoot. Was going to get the Buddy, but always loved the asthetics of the Stella. Didn't want the manual though, so glad they're coming out with an auto.
From what I've read this bike has been well received in Europe. A lot of folks (like me) have been waiting for a CVT version of the Stella. This could definitely broaden the market here in the U.S.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Elder Scoot wrote:By the way - Genuine is now offering the bike in Metallic Black. I changed my order yesterday.
Um, mind if I ask what country you're in since you don't have your location listed?

Because while the LAST thing I need is another motorbike payment, a metallic black Stellato might be too much to resist.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ravenlore wrote:
Elder Scoot wrote:By the way - Genuine is now offering the bike in Metallic Black. I changed my order yesterday.
Um, mind if I ask what country you're in since you don't have your location listed?

Because while the LAST thing I need is another motorbike payment, a metallic black Stellato might be too much to resist.

Ravenlore be prepared to get out your checkbook. I am from the United States of Texas. Just close your eyes and imagine the classic lines of a Stella in gloss Metallic Black entering your life.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's cool that you ordered one!

I'm chomping at the bit to ride one of these. 2014 could be a very cool year for Genuine.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ericalm wrote:It's cool that you ordered one!

I'm chomping at the bit to ride one of these. 2014 could be a very cool year for Genuine.
Every test that I've read has given the bike excellent reviews. It's supposed to be faster and better balanced than the 150. If Genuine markets the bike properly it could be a real player in that market segment.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Did you ever find out if it has a spare tire? I think it does by the pics. It's just on the right side and not on the left....
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

It is styled to look as though it has a spare...it doesn't and the front and rear wheels are not interchangable.

Rob
viney266

Post by viney266 »

ericalm wrote:It's cool that you ordered one!

^^ I feel the same way, very exciting year, and looking forward to riding a stellato myself!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I am looking to buy either a 2012 stella w sidecar hardly used or this new auto.
any thoughts which would be a better choice. There is a sidecar not
a cozy light weight fiberglass (80lbs( which may fit on the auto but not sure how that would work on a non shifter.
I like the cozy but when test riding the shift 2012 it was really banging in
the shift handle and slipping out of gear and banging, maybe only needs a
cable adjusting the scooter only has 80 miles but blinker and neutral light did
not work so think wiring issue already beginning, so have to decide either non warranty hardly used or new 2014 auto with warranty with questionable
sidecar option.
thanks for any input.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

50CC Cape Cod wrote:I am looking to buy either a 2012 stella w sidecar hardly used or this new auto.
a cozy light weight fiberglass (80lbs( which may fit on the auto but not sure how that would work on a non shifter.
not work so think wiring issue already beginning, so have to decide either non warranty hardly used or new 2014 auto with warranty with questionable
sidecar option.
thanks for any input.
The 'banging' in and out of gear could be an easy fix and or maybe a slight getting used to shifting a shiftie....
The neutral light and turn sigs are easy fixes too.
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

50CC Cape Cod wrote:I am looking to buy either a 2012 stella w sidecar hardly used or this new auto.
sidecar option.
thanks for any input.
The 'banging' in and out of gear could be an easy fix and or maybe a slight getting used to shifting a shiftie....
The neutral light and turn sigs are easy fixes too.
Good luck
J H
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I have shifted other stella 2 & 4 strokes all shifted slightly different
probably just how cable adjustment, and shifting smoothed out quickly. But on this one had to use both hands to actually help twist the shifter into 1st when stopped. Then when did get into
the gears on upshifting did get a bang in the handlebar shifter. Sure part of problem was my shifting technique but seemed very difficult in comparison.
Did not know if the seller maybe caused a clutch problem as well.
Regarding electrical not know if was dealer took time to set up properly
checking wire routing, pinching etc tightening connections which I have heard
being proactive will help keep these problems in check.
Easy fix would this be usually just clutch cable adjustment, electrical open headset check wires routing pinching and tighten any specific connections.
Would usually see loose unconnected or frayed wires from rubbing?
thanks
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I have shifted other stella 2 & 4 strokes all shifted slightly different
probably just how cable adjustment, and shifting smoothed out quickly. But on this one had to use both hands to actually help twist the shifter into 1st when stopped. Then when did get into
the gears on upshifting did get a bang in the handlebar shifter. Sure part of problem was my shifting technique but seemed very difficult in comparison.
Did not know if the seller maybe caused a clutch problem as well.
Regarding electrical not know if was dealer took time to set up properly
checking wire routing, pinching etc tightening connections which I have heard
being proactive will help keep these problems in check.
Easy fix would this be usually just clutch cable adjustment, electrical open headset check wires routing pinching and tighten any specific connections.
Would usually see loose unconnected or frayed wires from rubbing?
thanks
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Forgot to mention trying to get into or out of neutral with the ignition key on
engine not running, when noticed the neutral light did not work.

to get in or out of gear had to move the scooter a little to get the get in or out of gear twisting the gear shift handle is that usual for the stella
that s why I was wondering about the banging noise when upshifting when
riding?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

IMHO, its very hard to get a Stella in and out of neutral WITHOUT the engine running.. Any Stella..
Dont fight it.. Why stop the motor with it in gear anyways??
Always slip into neutral while the bikes motor is running and the bike is ROLLING!
Its the easiest way.. comming to a stop light.. downshift to second as you slow down.. still rolling.. roll into neutral while still rolling.. Easy Peasy!
Then clutch into 1st gearbefore you take off..
You neutral light trouble could be as easy as wiggling the only wire(Black) that goes into your shift selector box.
you knnow the box where you adjust your shift cables?? there only 1 wire there & it's your neutral sending units wire..They come loose and it doesnt look like it either...
If not.. then it could be the bulb.
Your turn signal... iis the front working?? just the rear is out??
Does the working one blink fast??
IS the bulb good?? what about the pin in the cowl?? is it broken?? is the little tip of the pin come off??
dont try to shift with the motor not running.. you'll just get frustrated..
good luck with your new bike
J H
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I would personally be leery of putting a sidecar on an auto Stella, at least until someone else had done it first and reported no problems :wink: . I say this because a sidecar is quite an extra load on a small engine CVT scooter. It is a pretty good load on the manual shift Stellas too for that matter, but the manual transmission seems to handle the load better. Attempts to put a sidecar on a Buddy have reportedly been unsuccessful. The small CVT Vespas also struggle with a sidecar, though the 250/300 Vespa with CVT seems to handle a sidecar better FWIW.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking to buy this stella and this is what happened with the test ride.
The gear box shifter with the black wire is that on the bottom of the scooter where the shift arm is located? not up on the handlebar shifter. When the handle bar shifter
was hard to move even with the engine running but not rolling trying to get into 1st from a dead stop thought something was strange.
The blinkers both front and rear on one side are out no flashing lights or sound at all when push the lever to that side. I did check the cowl
contact points etc seemed clean and making contact. The other side works fine.

The sidecar is only 80lb fiberglass not a cozy rocket type and has been used on some 50cc CVT scooters like Honda metropolitans or ruckus. Know depending on the load will tax the 50cc autos but thought maybe a 125cc would have better results not as good as a shift 150cc scooter.

Just trying to get some input prior to buying the used 2012 since will not have a warranty compared to a 2014 auto with warranty but then sidecar
may not be an option on the auto.

Last question the cozy rocket sidecar was not attached to the stella but the mounting bracket etc is. Is it complicated have to realign, adjust etc if just reattaching the side car to the scooter brackets?
Boo_Lew

Post by Boo_Lew »

Curious about the dealer you ordered from? You said Texas, but which part? Thanks!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Metallic Black is official per Scooterworks twitter.

I need to ask my boss for overtime or sell plasma or something.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ravenlore wrote:Metallic Black is official per Scooterworks twitter.

I need to ask my boss for overtime or sell plasma or something.

I have confidence you'll do what you need to do. :lol:
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Boo_Lew wrote:
Curious about the dealer you ordered from? You said Texas, but which part? Thanks!
My dealer is ScooterSmith in Houston, Texas. The owner, Steve, is an avid scooter rider and the shop is a great place to buy a bike and for service.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

We have had the auto LML's over here in the uk for a few months now. There have been a few teething problems -

-Scooters being difficult to start or cutting out while on the move.

There hasn't been a definitive fix for this yet although some people have found that cleaning the carb and adjusting the idle speed has helped.

-ECS (electronic carb system) warning lights flashing.

This seems to be down to a whole load of dodgy sensors and LML have assured the uk importer that it's nothing to worry about and simply means that the scooter is polluting the environment a little bit more than the suits in the EU would like it to.

-Failing brake light switches (generally back brake)

-Difficult to use centre stand.

A uk dealer developed their own replacement stand after many owners a complained the standard stand is very tricky to use.

Apart from that Auto owners seem very please and hopefully some or all of these issues will be ironed out before the scooters reach your shores.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Tipper wrote:We have had the auto LML's over here in the uk for a few months now. There have been a few teething problems -

There hasn't been a definitive fix for this yet although some people have found that cleaning the carb and adjusting the idle speed has helped.

This seems to be down to a whole load of dodgy sensors and LML have assured the uk importer that it's nothing to worry about and simply means that the scooter is polluting the environment a little bit more than the suits in the EU would like it to.

A uk dealer developed their own replacement stand after many owners a complained the standard stand is very tricky to use.

Apart from that Auto owners seem very please and hopefully some or all of these issues will be ironed out before the scooters reach your shores.

Would you please be so kind as to identify the U.K. dealer who developed a replacement stand? Getting a bike onto its center stand should be the least of one's problems.

Thanks.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Elder Scoot wrote:
Tipper wrote:We have had the auto LML's over here in the uk for a few months now. There have been a few teething problems -

Would you please be so kind as to identify the U.K. dealer who developed a replacement stand? Getting a bike onto its center stand should be the least of one's problems.

Thanks.
Indeed,it was scooter moda in Preston, I am sure they would be happy to help.

http://scootermoda.com
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

Tipper wrote:We have had the auto LML's over here in the uk for a few months now. There have been a few teething problems... and hopefully some or all of these issues will be ironed out before the scooters reach your shores.
Thanks for the heads-up on these, Tipper!
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I had noticed in the photos that the stand is mounted further to the rear than the P series and Star , Stella.
I would be tempted to put a side stand on it. .
J H
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

The stand is further back to lift the rear off the ground I'm guessing the reason for this is so the scooter doesn't drag the owner down the road if they over rev it when they fire it up.

Still,several uk owners have fitted side stands without any issues.