Found great deal on new 2 stroke Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bornintheussr

Found great deal on new 2 stroke Stella

Post by bornintheussr »

I know 2t model no longer in production and was calling some dealers to see what leftovers they have and at what price. One official dealer in NJ offered new 09 Stella for $2150 no Tag fees plus tax + $300 gift certificate. From what I see it's a great deal considering msrp now is like $3500. What you guys think, should I buy it?
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

At that price it is no longer a sale......it is a steal!

Essentially a new machine for the price of a used machine with no warranty.

Whatcha waitin for?.........get it and don't look back.

Rob
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Run fast! Buy quick!
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Buy that sh@t!
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

a VERY GOOD deal!!! jump on that quick! I thought I did good back in August...leftover '09 Stella 2T -- $3295 MSRP tag, $2695 SALE tag...paid $2195 minus the $1000 I got on trade-in; just be aware these damned things 'have character right out of the crate' as someone recently told me ;)
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Go. Get it!

I kick myself for not buying a NOS '09 Stella last year for $2800 OTD. Bought a '79 P200 that was NOT all what it was sold as...
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Sounds like a great deal!

The later 2T Stellas are definitely improved over the earlier ones, especially the '05 models!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
viney266

Post by viney266 »

smoking deal, and it is new so you still get a warranty...GRAB it before the world ends!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

thats very similar to the deal I got on my 08 when I bought it in 2010.

Go get it!
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

The later 2T Stellas are definitely improved over the earlier ones, especially the '05 models!
Thats good news for those of us with '09 models ..... because I know the anti-siphon valves in the '09s typically fail, as do the kill switches, as do the wiring harnesses on the left side handlebar. Oh yeah, the headlight bezels fall off, and the mirrors they come with only allow you to see your own shoulders.

Are the crankshaft/bearing troubles of the earlier years' corrected in the 09's - because most of my riding is at 35-45 mph and I'm expecting a rear wheel lockup and pitch into the ditch or oncoming car at some point.

I can't believe the NTSB or some other govt group hasn't raised h*ll with the cheap Chineese scoots or even these Stella's. If any car or street motorcycle had anywhere near the systemic problems or mirrors these do, they would have been pulled from the showrooms. Somehow scooter manufacturers get by with this BS.

Don't get me wrong I still ride my Stella more often than my Triumph, and I don't want to die old anyway.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Warranty fixes the motor esploded problem. Legshield mirrors are cool. They have cracked down on Chinese scoots a little. Kill switches are for wussies. Cables break because mere steel cannot handle the pure awesomeness of a twist shift. If it doesn't leak it's empty.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If you want a "classic" scooter you have to deal with the design of a "classic" scooter.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

fisher1 wrote:
Thats good news for those of us with '09 models ..... because I know the anti-siphon valves in the '09s typically fail, as do the kill switches, as do the wiring harnesses on the left side handlebar. Oh yeah, the headlight bezels fall off, and the mirrors they come with only allow you to see your own shoulders.

Are the crankshaft/bearing troubles of the earlier years' corrected in the 09's - because most of my riding is at 35-45 mph and I'm expecting a rear wheel lockup and pitch into the ditch or oncoming car at some point.

I can't believe the NTSB or some other govt group hasn't raised h*ll with the cheap Chineese scoots or even these Stella's. If any car or street motorcycle had anywhere near the systemic problems or mirrors these do, they would have been pulled from the showrooms. Somehow scooter manufacturers get by with this BS.

Don't get me wrong I still ride my Stella more often than my Triumph, and I don't want to die old anyway.
The bearings on the later models seem to be made of sterner stuff, but it's all relative. I rebuild 'em using Italian bearings only. The biggest engine differences are the flywheel and stator, which are very similar to the Vespa PX part and built a bit better than the early stuff.

The left hand wiring will get sawed up no matter if it's a Vespa or a Stella. Thankfully, that harness is available as a separate part and is easy to replace. I've noticed factory-installed zip ties that may put extra strain in the harness; you might remove a tie if it's straining the harness. File off any noticeable serrations on the shift tube window if you can too.

I was under the impression that '05 was the Year of the Falling Headlamp. It's the only year I've seen it happen to (three times). If it concerns you so, they sell stone guards for PX-series that fit close to the lens, keeping stones out and possibly glass in.

As for an engine seizure, the solution is simple: Motor seizes, pull clutch. It works like a charm and will get your wheel turning again. Of course, the only holds true if the gearbox doesn't fail...

These bikes aren't any dodgier than the machines they were derived from. Worry less about what could happen and enjoy the ride.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Check where the scooter was in regards to where the storm flooding was in NJ.