Stella 2T & 4T Test Drive Questions

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

50CC Cape Cod

Stella 2T & 4T Test Drive Questions

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I test rode both a '12 4T & new leftover '09 2T. I noticed the 4T idled smooth
and shifted from 1st easy etc. The 2T idled rough the bike vibrated more could actually see the mirrors vibrating. and shifted more like a motorcycle clutch especially starting off in 1st.
Is that usually how they are? Once in 2nd they both seemed alike except for the sound and little exhaust smoke from the 2T.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Yeah, the vibrations are unavoidable on the 2T.
Idling rough might again be down to the difference between 2T and 4T or perhaps the 2T wasn't tuned properly (depending really on what constitutes 'rough').

The clutch on the 4T is definitely smoother than the 2T as you have noticed. I'm not sure what clutch they put into the 4Ts but I have installed a cosa clutch on my 2T and in my opinion it shifts much better than either of the stock ones.

The 2T also definitely has some rough spots at higher revs. Mine for example vibrates pretty strong between 35 and 50 MPH.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I am looking at the 2T since would like to add a sidecar in the future and have heard that for a 2T should be OK, and the 4T mave have some issues in the long run since not a track record yet for that set up. Regarding the 2T how is the vibration with a passenger? Will most likely be using in the range of 35-50MPH driving. How many miles on your scoot and how has the repair or regular yearly maintainance been. My other 2T Kymco usually just a plug and winterize and keep fluid in check. Want to get a Stella but just comparing both set ups.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Regarding the tune up the dealer indicated on a 2T the carb etc has to be cleaned out etc and gone over from the factory setup before delivery.
I know there are some wiring potential problems which can be avoided.
Also would like to have the Sito pipe and larger jet. Not sure how much of an increase in performance will add but again on the forum for sidecar use seems like that is waht most posted.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Just curious what the opinion is for the price range of a new leftover '09 2T. Stella?
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

My 2T was extremely reliable except for a few small electrical issues that were all straightened under warranty.

I put 9k miles on the stock engine with a sito+ in less than a year of ownership. At this point I decided to rebuild with a performance crank and kit the top end, I have put an additional 6k miles on that, including a 2k miles round trip from Virginia to Wisconsin over four days and have not had any mechanical issue with it.

If you are looking at a sidecar you will definitely need a better pipe + rejetting. Possibly even look into kitting like I did because the sidecar (especially with a passenger) is going to be a huge drag. If you have a shop do the work replacing the top end and crank will run you around 1.5k (10 hours labor + parts).

As far as new old stock... I have just bought a second 2009 2T stella for the frame (got into an accident, harvested old engine) and paid 1900$. The bike had a full set of chrome (which the owner got for free with the holidays event) and it had sat for 3 years with only 50 miles on it.
Now, I got super lucky in finding this (it was the same color as my old one!) so don't expect to get such a low price from a dealer, however I wouldn't pay more than 2500$ considering people have been getting the 4T for 3100$.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

That was what I thought as well. The price was told was 2700-2900.
saw KBB was listed at 1525 excellent.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Unless there is a concern about the frame of the 4T not being strong enough for the sidecar I dont see why a 4T couldn't pull one. My 4T feels like it has lots of Torque.

There is a cylinder kit, pipes and carb upgrades available for the 4T.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

50CC Cape Cod wrote:That was what I thought as well. The price was told was 2700-2900.
saw KBB was listed at 1525 excellent.
I think you may have been looking at the wrong year, last I checked the 09 was still valued around 2500 on the KBB

John, if I had a sidecar I would want a 2T myself. Yes there are performance parts for the 4T but I would be surprised if they managed to crank out more power than the ones available for the 2T (which are also a lot cheaper).
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Sorry I hit the wrong number key was $2525 not 1525.
I was wondering about the vibration on the 2T since the sidecar some have indicated need to add a steering damper as well so did not know if the vibration to begin with would even increase with a sidecar but the overall input appears to be a 2T over 4T for sidecar use. Also saw posting regarding the rough idle etc of the 2T vs. the 4T so will have to look closely at which set up would be best in the long run.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'll acknowledge that there is not yet much history with the 4T Stella with sidecar but I really don't think there is any reason to avoid the 4T as a sidecar tug. The 4T Stella seems to be more powerful as well as smoother than the 2T bike. I would honestly think that the 4T would handle the load better as well. Sure, a 200 4T would be an even better choice if it ever reaches our shores, but a performance tuned 2T seems like it would have too narrow a power band for best performance with a sidecar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

2T is always going to idle a bit "rough". Every compression is a power stroke for one thing. Also the timing is static and generally set for higher rpms. Get it up to 4 - 5 K rpms and it will smooth out.

It's one of the things I love about 2Ts...you can FEEL what the motor is doing!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL