Stella 2T vs. 4T Sidecar & Shifting Technique

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

50CC Cape Cod

Stella 2T vs. 4T Sidecar & Shifting Technique

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I test drove a Stella 2T and it noticed itdoes take a little getting used to the hand shifting gear positions. On down shifting I saw on some posts you can roll through the gears what actually is this and how is it done. Starting in first with feather the clutch out before throttle was easy enough to get, but then upshifting seemed to jump ahead of a gear with shifter positioning, and downshifting could feel the scoot grab a little even with trying slightly incresae the rpm when letting the clutch out. Also am looking about a sidecar and one sidecar supplier indicated the 2T would be no problem since been around awhile but the 4T does not have a track record yet and may not have enough power for a sidecar in the long run?
Overall want to test a 4T as well but want to get the right Stella for sidecar use. Thanks for your help.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Shifting dynamics is going to vary a lot between scooter to scooter, whether 2T or 4T. Much of it can be adjusted to your preference. I don't think either is better suited to a sidecar than the other. I guess the 2T might be preferable because there are more performance and other options to get you more power to haul that sidecar around.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
talindsay

Post by talindsay »

In stock form I'd expect the 4t to be better than the 2t - it's got a better performance curve and overall more power. But of course there's very little you can do to get more out of the 4t, so a built-out 2t engine could certainly provide a much better sidecar experience.

I agree though, the shifting issues you're describing sound like a matter of how the clutch and shifter cables are adjusted on the scooter you tried out. There's also differences at different wear levels - when I got the new 4t I'd forgotten how stiff the shifting is when the gears and cruciform are all brand new.
2012 Creme Stella (4T)
2005 Mint Green Stella - 166cc, mazz race crank, boyeson reeds, 24/24e, Sito+
2005 Triumph Bonneville -*- 2008 Trek 1.5 -*- 2012 Fiat 500 Sport -*- 2010 Mazda 5 Sport
1976 Caucasian Legs good for 10 MPH
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Thanks, am looking to basically keep either one as stock set up.
What is the technique for rolling through the gears for downshifting, and is the transmission synchronized? Thanks.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

50CC Cape Cod wrote:is the transmission synchronized? Thanks.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry...I couldn't help that! No the transmission has absoulutly no synchros except your ears! It is an extreamly primative system that will clunk into gear. The only thing that helps soften the blow is the cush drive.

On 2Ts it is generally a bad idea, even with oil injection, to downshift for engine breaking. I know the 2T ...and I think...the 4T is going to be a dog with a sidecar. That's fine if you're not looking to go above 45 mph or so.

Personally I wouldn't run a hack without swapping to a P200 motor (preferably 79!)
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are many 150s out there with sidecar rigs and I know they're selling a lot for new Stellas these days. So it's definitely doable. Whether it's practical depends on your needs.

As for downshifting, you can go straight to second from fourth if slowing for a turn or straight to neutral when coming to a stop. You don't need to fully engage every gear in between. It's all about selecting the right gear for your speed and what you're doing. You'll almost never downshift into first while moving.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

BuddyRaton wrote: On 2Ts it is generally a bad idea, even with oil injection, to downshift for engine breaking.
I really still don't understand why people think this is the case. I have put a combined 15k miles on my two Stella by now, 6k of which have been with a completely modded engine, and I have downshifted for engine braking the entire time I owned it due to being used to it with manual cars. It has been nothing but extremely reliable.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

No the transmission has absoulutly no synchros except your ears! It is an extreamly primative system that will clunk into gear. That's fine if you're not looking to go above 45 mph or so.
)[/quote]

That tranny sounds like the one I have in my King Midget, thought it seemed similar when test driving the delaer indicated if can not get into gear just slightly move the scoot and will line the gears up to drop into place like you have to sometimes in the King Midget. The side car vendor
also indicated the 2T would have the power and will do up to 45MPH without any issues.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

ericalm wrote:There are many 150s out there with sidecar rigs and I know they're selling a lot for new Stellas these days. So it's definitely doable. Whether it's practical depends on your needs.

As for downshifting, you can go straight to second from fourth if slowing for a turn or straight to neutral when coming to a stop. You don't need to fully engage every gear in between. It's all about selecting the right gear for your speed and what you're doing. You'll almost never downshift into first while moving.
Thanks for the info regarding both questions. That makes downshifting seem a lot easier just match the rpm with the speed and avoid 1st while moving. Is this what was meant in the posting regarding rolling the gears to make shifting easier?