Bay Bridge Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jess

Bay Bridge Buddy

Post by jess »

I had the opportunity (and necessity) to ride my wife's Buddy across the San Francisco Bay Bridge this weekend. Legalities aside, it was an easy ride. As it happens, I had ridden my wife's LX150 the other direction across the bridge earlier in the day, and the Buddy was actually a good deal faster and more responsive. It hauled ass, actually, even if it was a bit twitchier than the LX.

Just curious -- has anyone else ridden a Buddy across the SF Bay Bridge yet?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

jess,

I don't live anywhere near there, so never ridden the bridge, but your post sparks some questions...
  • How many scooters does your wife have, or do you have more than one wife?
    Which was 1st, the LX150 or the Buddy?
    Which scooter does she prefer?
Just wondering... :?
Kevin
AYPWIP?
jess

Post by jess »

lobsterman wrote:How many scooters does your wife have, or do you have more than one wife?
Two. One stays in Oakland and one stays in San Francisco.
lobsterman wrote:Which was 1st, the LX150 or the Buddy?
Not sure if you mean which one did she buy first, or which one did I ride first. The answer to both is the LX150.
lobsterman wrote:Which scooter does she prefer?
She says she loves them differently. The LX150 is a really nice rally machine, tricked out as it is in kind of a traditional style. The Buddy is definitely more utilitarian with little more than a basket on the front.

Still, the Buddy is faster.
vitaminC

Re: Bay Bridge Buddy

Post by vitaminC »

jess wrote: Just curious -- has anyone else ridden a Buddy across the SF Bay Bridge yet?
I don't even like going across that bridge in the car! I always end up with visions of collapsed spans going through my head :shock:
jess

Re: Bay Bridge Buddy

Post by jess »

vitaminC wrote:I don't even like going across that bridge in the car! I always end up with visions of collapsed spans going through my head :shock:
Only one or two road panels from the Bay Bridge collapsed during the Loma Prieta quake. The nasty damage was on the Cypress structure (in Oakland) where the whole damn upper deck collapsed.

That probably doesn't help, no?
JuliaGrace

Post by JuliaGrace »

I was a bit concerned about that trip, so I'm glad you and Hobbes made it across unscathed! :D

One day I may be nervy enough to cross the Golden Gate - I REALLY need a bridge patch! Meanwhile, I will continue to practice simple street-crossing. :lol:

- Julie Jr.
jess

Post by jess »

JuliaGrace wrote:Meanwhile, I will continue to practice simple street-crossing. :lol:
:oops:

I think I should shoulder some of the blame or that. It was my brilliant idea to sneak through San Francisco's rather random traffic restrictions by walking our scooters across the street. Sorry...

But thanks for letting me do the gymkhana / slow race on your Buddy!
ferretstew

Post by ferretstew »

Having successfully ridden my 125 a couple miles down I-280 out of necessity (though I sure won't make a habit of it!), I'm interested in crossing the Golden Gate bridge, which would open up all of Marin to my SF-bound Buddy. Anybody done this? I've never really looked at the road surface from a scootering perspective...
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Anyone that's braved the interstate should not have a problem on the GG, as the speed limit there is much lower. It's got some funny grating on it, but it's unlikely to be an issue, or else we'd be hearing a lot more about motocycles crashing as they go across. I would like to ride across, but it's just such a PITA to get up there from here without using the interstate, that it becomes an all-day proposition just to cross a bridge- no thanks.
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

jess wrote:
lobsterman wrote:How many scooters does your wife have, or do you have more than one wife?
So tell me, does the wife in Oakland like the weather there better than the wife in San Fran?

-ducks and runs- :lol:
jaded

Post by jaded »

hermitgirl wrote:
jess wrote:
So tell me, does the wife in Oakland like the weather there better than the wife in San Fran?

-ducks and runs- :lol:
Jess, aren't you proud of me for not being the one to make this comment?
And, believe me, I was tempted. :twisted:
brat

Post by brat »

hrmmmm, yes Jess. Do answer that one. :) I also was temped to ask that.
jaded

Post by jaded »

JuliaGrace wrote: Meanwhile, I will continue to practice simple street-crossing. :lol:

- Julie Jr.
oh, crap! sorry, really sorry :oops: