How to tighten mirror?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gng

How to tighten mirror?

Post by gng »

Sure this is going to be a dumb question, but how do I tighten the mirror? One mirror is fine, swivels nice and snug, but one vibrates at stop lights and is loose. I tried to turn the mirror itself, then the little piece that connects to the stem, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Note that it is not loose at the point where it attaches to the handlebar, but loose at the swivel part on the mirror. I did a search and someone said you remove the mirror gently, but I can already see a broken mirror in my future if I try to pry it off. Will the dealer fix this? It goes into the shop for first service next week.
Last edited by gng on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkelsch

Post by jkelsch »

My wife laid the scooter down once and it dislodged the mirror, you screw down the entire assembly until it stops, then back it out until its in the correct position, then use a crecent wrench to tighten the lock nut to prevent it from moving, the lock nut doesn't feel like it can turn with your hads but it does with a wrench.
gng

Post by gng »

jkelsch wrote:My wife laid the scooter down once and it dislodged the mirror, you screw down the entire assembly until it stops, then back it out until its in the correct position, then use a crecent wrench to tighten the lock nut to prevent it from moving, the lock nut doesn't feel like it can turn with your hads but it does with a wrench.
Sounds like you are talking about the entire mirror assembly being loose. My problem is the part that swivels, the part that is connected to the mirror.
jkelsch

Post by jkelsch »

ah yeah, I was talking about the entire assemply not just the mirror part, sorry.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I don't remember seeing a good solution to that issue here. I remember a thread where someone said that there's a little rubber gasket in there that keeps the mirror tight and if, somehow, that comes loose, the mirror does what you are saying.

If nothing else, it could be a warranty replacement (which will likely depend on your dealer- they can make that happen) or the dealer can fix it, but as I said, I've not seen a method of fixing it yourself posted here.

If it's going in next week can you just use a bit of electrical tape to hold it still until you can get it to the dealer? Again, a good dealer would just swap you one right there if one's available.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

First get a small screwdriver. GENTLY push the rubber gasket behind the glass. Take your time and push all the gasket behind the glass. The glass is held in place by a single blob of silicone. GENTLY pry the glass off the silicone. Behind it you will find an 8mm nylock nut. Simply tighten the nut to the desired friction. It is possible to overdo it and lock the mirror housing in position. I used a drop of superglue on the silicone to reinstall the glass. Put the gasket around the glass and GENTLY press it back into position.
ksalen

Success, finally!

Post by ksalen »

olhogrider wrote:First get a small screwdriver. GENTLY push the rubber gasket behind the glass. Take your time and push all the gasket behind the glass. The glass is held in place by a single blob of silicone. GENTLY pry the glass off the silicone. ...
2008 Italia 150

I just fixed this exact problem today... at least I hope I fixed it. (I wish I had found this thread before digging into my mirrors; I would probably not have to replace one of them now... :oops: )

The trick for me was to use two jewel screwdrivers. I worked under the rubber and pried gently up on the rubber around the mirror. I guess I went by feel, because I could just imagine breaking the glass with any more pressure. I worked my way around the glass until the glass/rubber combo popped out.

The nut was under there just as Olhogrider suggested. Interestingly, there was nothing holding the mirror glass in except the friction of the rubber ring against the housing.

Putting the glass/rubber back in was a trick. I couldn't do it by hand, since I was afraid of putting so much pressure on glass with my fingers.

The easiest way I found was to remove the mirror stalk, place the glass/rubber face down on a flat surface (garage floor) with thin cloth under it to protect it, then press the round housing evenly onto the glass/rubber until the glass/rubber popped into place. I found pressure in the center of the housing helped the mirror pop into place.

So far so good. Now I need to keep an eye out for a replacement mirror face, since my early experimenting determined that the rubber and glass face were inseparable...
gng

Post by gng »

My solution turned out to be buying a new mirror for $20. I was going to argue with them that this should be covered under warranty, but decided life is too short.
dorian

Post by dorian »

olhogrider wrote:First get a small screwdriver. GENTLY push the rubber gasket behind the glass. Take your time and push all the gasket behind the glass. The glass is held in place by a single blob of silicone. GENTLY pry the glass off the silicone. Behind it you will find an 8mm nylock nut. Simply tighten the nut to the desired friction. It is possible to overdo it and lock the mirror housing in position. I used a drop of superglue on the silicone to reinstall the glass. Put the gasket around the glass and GENTLY press it back into position.
Virtual high-five!!!! Thanks for the fix!
Veruca

Re: Success, finally!

Post by Veruca »

ksalen wrote:
olhogrider wrote:First get a small screwdriver. GENTLY push the rubber gasket behind the glass. Take your time and push all the gasket behind the glass. The glass is held in place by a single blob of silicone. GENTLY pry the glass off the silicone. ...
2008 Italia 150

I just fixed this exact problem today... at least I hope I fixed it. (I wish I had found this thread before digging into my mirrors; I would probably not have to replace one of them now... :oops: )

The trick for me was to use two jewel screwdrivers. I worked under the rubber and pried gently up on the rubber around the mirror. I guess I went by feel, because I could just imagine breaking the glass with any more pressure. I worked my way around the glass until the glass/rubber combo popped out.

The nut was under there just as Olhogrider suggested. Interestingly, there was nothing holding the mirror glass in except the friction of the rubber ring against the housing.

Putting the glass/rubber back in was a trick. I couldn't do it by hand, since I was afraid of putting so much pressure on glass with my fingers.

The easiest way I found was to remove the mirror stalk, place the glass/rubber face down on a flat surface (garage floor) with thin cloth under it to protect it, then press the round housing evenly onto the glass/rubber until the glass/rubber popped into place. I found pressure in the center of the housing helped the mirror pop into place.

So far so good. Now I need to keep an eye out for a replacement mirror face, since my early experimenting determined that the rubber and glass face were inseparable...
This is great! I just did this, and the tip on using a jewel screwdriver, plus, how to pop the mirror/gasket assembly back into the housing easily was super helpful. THANKS!!

I just got my Buddy125 (black) yesterday and was sad to think I'd have to take it back already to fix my wobbly mirror. Now I don't and I'm good to go again, mirror-wise.

(Btw, my glass mirror was also not glued to the housing at all, just held in place via the gasket.)

New to this forum - this site is great!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

You're welcome. :wink:
RonF

Post by RonF »

One of my mirrors did the same thing and the dealer called in a replacement part under warranty. Surprisingly Genuine sent mirrors for both sides in about 3 days at no charge. Hard to believe they were so fast sending a replacement.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Thanks so much for posting this fix.

I just fixed this problem myself quite easily.

• Detached the mirror from scooter.
• Used just my thumbnail to push the black gasket to the outside of the mirror, kind of tucking it under the chrome.
• The mirror then just popped up and out with no assistance needed. If needed, gently helping it loose with a small thin screwdriver would definitely do the trick.
• Once the mirror is out, remove the rubber gasket (it is not attached to anything) and replace it back around the outside of the mirror. Set mirror/gasket aside.
• Tighten the nut as needed to stiffen the mirror housing movement to stay in position securely.
• I removed the old silicon and replaced it with a fresh dab.
• I placed the mirror/gasket back in position, turned the assembly face down on my kitchen counter (or any firm, non-scratchy surface will do) and applied gentle, even pressure around the outside edge to squeeze the mirror/gasket back into place. It slipped back in place without issue.

Done. And as good (or better) than new.

Sorry I didn't take pictures. Duh. Only occurred to me after. I'll take some next time when my other mirror starts to slip.

Thanks again olhogrider for posting this fix!
rodneydnelson

Post by rodneydnelson »

I did this myself tonight and I agree with Skootz Kabootz's guide above. However, I did not completely remove the mirror from the housing. I simply reached in behind the mirror and tightened the nut. So I didn't need to replace the silicone that holds the mirror in place. Worked great.
tekrek

Re: How to tighten mirror?

Post by tekrek »

gng wrote:Sure this is going to be a dumb question, but how do I tighten the mirror? One mirror is fine, swivels nice and snug, but one vibrates at stop lights and is loose. I tried to turn the mirror itself, then the little piece that connects to the stem, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Note that it is not loose at the point where it attaches to the handlebar, but loose at the swivel part on the mirror. I did a search and someone said you remove the mirror gently, but I can already see a broken mirror in my future if I try to pry it off. Will the dealer fix this? It goes into the shop for first service next week.
That's not a dumb question. All questions by their very nature are dumb. How do you think one achieves true wisdom, Grasshopper? Now you can rest at ease tonight.

About that mirror, you can take it to the shop if you want but you'll get a manly feeling if you fix it yourself. And, I might say the ladies will treat you a differently in bed too. But a mirror is kind of like a nut. Just give it a twist one way or the other. I prefer to just grab it at the base and twist until I get my nut off or on. I don't know which nomenclature you like to use it really doesn't matter the result is the same unless you get too exuberant and lose you nut. This seems to be a common malady of beginners but once the novice mechanic becomes an "old hand" greater control is achieved. And you may find you like the feeling you get doing it yourself. But be careful asking your shop mechanic to do it for you as he may misunderstand the type of service you reference. But, that's a differnt matter completely. Happy wrenching.
"I'm your Huckleberry."
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

tekrek wrote: All questions by their very nature are dumb.
Are you trying to be funny? It is not working. Why are you here anyway? You don't own a Buddy. If you read any of the responses to this question, you would know that you can't simply tighten the nut.
Attachments
troll.JPG
troll.JPG (27.9 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
tekrek

Post by tekrek »

olhogrider wrote:
Are you trying to be funny? It is not working. Why are you here anyway? You don't own a Buddy. If you read any of the responses to this question, you would know that you can't simply tighten the nut.

Now, feel better.
"I'm your Huckleberry."
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

tekrek wrote:
olhogrider wrote:

Now, feel better.
Tekrek, this is getting kind of old and you've been told that in a few threads now.

I agree with olhogrider in not really knowing why you're here... but I'll quote what our forum admin told you in your first thread here:
tekrek, if you plan on remaining a ModernBuddy member, I strongly suggest read the Guidelines and that you frame your discussion in a manner less condescending and insulting to the forum and its members. If you have a sincere question, ask it. If you're here to start shit, take it elsewhere.
Bobltc

Post by Bobltc »

Just had the same thing hapen to me. I called the dealer and they exchanged it without a question. My buddy had only 300 miles on it.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

tekrek wrote:But be careful asking your shop mechanic to do it for you as he may misunderstand the type of service you reference.

Ironic statement, considering you didn't pay attention and answered in a way that did not apply to this scenario. It had already been stated that they were not talking about the mirror assembly as it attached to the scooter.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I was going to use the detailed information in this thread to repair my left mirror as it had taken to wobbling so badly that it would slump every few hundred feet and give me a view of the potholes on Dean Street.

I stopped in my local shop to check if they had another left side mirror just in case I did something stupid when I was trying to repair mine, and was told, "just bring it in and we'll exchange it for a new one...it's a warranty item". In disbelief I said, "It's just a stupid floppy mirror and I don't think it'll be that difficult to fix", but the person who was helping me replied "That's why you buy a new bike...to have things covered under warranty". Well, how awesome is that?! I got a new mirror and saved an hour of my time (and possibly spared myself 7 years bad luck) all because I opened my mouth and asked.

I highly recommend to anyone having Floppy Mirror Syndrome (FMS) to ask your shop to cover it under warranty.

Oh by the way...shout out to Javaspeed in Providence. They treat you right (and always have good conversation on tap).
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Now that I have a dealer in my town I may try that. Riding 20 miles each way for a minor fix wasn't worth it. Great you got it fixed.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Looks like this is a common problem, thanks for this thread.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

See? This is why I love MB! I encountered Wobbly Mirror Syndrome today, immediately logged onto MB and voila! Thank you, Olhogrider and SkootzKabootz.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Just payin' it forward :)

WMS. Be the cure.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

My first DIY buddy project :lol:
dzilla

mirror repair

Post by dzilla »

awesome, fixed wobbly mirror thanks to all
Skootz Kabootz

Re: mirror repair

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

dzilla wrote:awesome, fixed wobbly mirror thanks to all
:+!: WMS. Be the cure. :+!:

:)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

**BUMP** I swear, I can't push that thick black stuff anywhere. Really? Some folks just used their finger nails? I push and push and it doesn't budge. What now? I stuck a rubberband around the back and that's holding it a smidge bit better but since my other mirror apparently came all the way off the bolt, I'd really like to figure out how to fix the left before the same thing happens. Did you all lube it up some way?
TVB

Post by TVB »

jijifer wrote:**BUMP** I swear, I can't push that thick black stuff anywhere. Really? Some folks just used their finger nails? I push and push and it doesn't budge.
Are you pushing it away from the center of the mirror, pushing it under the rim? It's kind of like fingernail cuticle, and needs to be pushed back out of the way to let the mirror pop forward.
jcmbruce

$$$$

Post by jcmbruce »

Thanks, I was jus about to buy a new mirror when I searched for "buddy mirror thread size" and came across this discussion. I actually didn't feel like getting my tool box and used the spatula from my George Foreman Grill. It worked great w/o my fear of breaking it. :D
The journey is the reward
Croatoan

Post by Croatoan »

Damn.

Tried this.

Was too impatient.

Split my mirror in two.
redblacktree

Post by redblacktree »

Speed City Scooters in Indianapolis claimed that this was NOT a warranty item.

I have emailed Genuine to ask their opinion. It seems others have had no problem.

Do you think they're just trying to make a buck by denying the claim?
redblacktree

Post by redblacktree »

I'll spare you all the whole email thread, but this is the final resolution. Mirrors with this issue ARE covered under warrant. Genuine is treating me really well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dustin,

Rather than you do that, I would like to speak directly to Speed City regarding this issue.

Please provide me your shipping address where you can receive UPS packages and which side mirror you need replaced. I will send the mirror directly to you.

Best regards,

Roy Park
Genuine Scooter Company
tscheidler

Post by tscheidler »

gng wrote:My solution turned out to be buying a new mirror for $20. I was going to argue with them that this should be covered under warranty, but decided life is too short.
What was your source for $20 mirrors?
tscheidler

Post by tscheidler »

redblacktree wrote:I'll spare you all the whole email thread, but this is the final resolution. Mirrors with this issue ARE covered under warrant. Genuine is treating me really well.

Hi Dustin,

Rather than you do that, I would like to speak directly to Speed City regarding this issue.

Please provide me your shipping address where you can receive UPS packages and which side mirror you need replaced. I will send the mirror directly to you.

Best regards,

Roy Park
Genuine Scooter Company
Roy,

How can I make a similar arrangement? I tried emailing 'info@genuinescooters.com' but haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

that was an e-mail, to Dustin, from Roy @ Genuine.....
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

tscheidler wrote:
redblacktree wrote:I'll spare you all the whole email thread, but this is the final resolution. Mirrors with this issue ARE covered under warrant. Genuine is treating me really well.

Hi Dustin,

Best regards,

Roy Park
Genuine Scooter Company
Roy,

How can I make a similar arrangement? I tried emailing 'info@genuinescooters.com' but haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks.
Who's your dealer?
In general, dealers are responsible for any warranty claim. If the mirror is bad right out of the box, the dealer should fix or replace it. There tend to get dinged around and loosened in shipping, so this is not entirely uncommon.

Before going to Genuine corporate, contact your local dealer and explain the problem. If necessary, let them know Genuine has honored the claim for other owners. If your dealer is NoHo Scooters, they'll probably just tell you to bring it in and get a new one.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
tscheidler

Post by tscheidler »

Wheelz wrote:that was an e-mail, to Dustin, from Roy @ Genuine.....
Ah! That makes more sense. Thx.
tscheidler

Post by tscheidler »

ericalm wrote:
tscheidler wrote:

Hi Dustin,

Best regards,

Roy Park
Genuine Scooter Company
Roy,

Thanks.
Who's your dealer?
In general, dealers are responsible for any warranty claim. If the mirror is bad right out of the box, the dealer should fix or replace it. There tend to get dinged around and loosened in shipping, so this is not entirely uncommon.

Before going to Genuine corporate, contact your local dealer and explain the problem. If necessary, let them know Genuine has honored the claim for other owners. If your dealer is NoHo Scooters, they'll probably just tell you to bring it in and get a new one.
I'll give my dealer a call.

Thx.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

bumpity bump...

i just tried following the instructions but i guess i'm either not understanding it, or am doing it wrong, because i can't seem to get the rubber part out of the way to pry the mirror out.

anyhow, my left mirror is super-loose as well, like many on this thread. i just stopped by my dealer yesterday and they said that it's not covered under warrantee (i bought the set of mirror last year) but to check back because sometimes they'll have a mirror lying around that they can just give me... this is all fine and well but in the meantime i still need to have my left mirror working...

so... is anyone who know how to apply the mirror fix in/around the denver area? if so can you maybe give me a hand?

i'm using electrical tape to hold it (somewhat) in place for the time being so i can ride.

thx.

:cry:
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

tscheidler wrote:
ericalm wrote:
tscheidler wrote: Roy,

Thanks.
Who's your dealer?

I'll give my dealer a call.

Thx.

Yeah, this should be no problem at all with your dealer. I had already replaced both my mirrors under warranty. One was the wobbly mirror where the nut inside the glas came loose, the other one was that for some reason the threads on the stem were bad and the stem would not stay in place. So bottom line I got 2 new mirrors on my blackjack and the dealer was very helpful and gave me no problem at all. I can imagine that these are common problems and they (Genuine and Dealers) know about it and replace them without questions asked.
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

Hellvis wrote:Yeah, this should be no problem at all with your dealer. I had already replaced both my mirrors under warranty. One was the wobbly mirror where the nut inside the glas came loose, the other one was that for some reason the threads on the stem were bad and the stem would not stay in place. So bottom line I got 2 new mirrors on my blackjack and the dealer was very helpful and gave me no problem at all. I can imagine that these are common problems and they (Genuine and Dealers) know about it and replace them without questions asked.
+1

I had to have my left mirror replaced the first day I rode. It just hung there like a sad little gimp. The dealer said there was a batch of bad mirrors so they gave me replacements for both as a precaution. No problems since :)
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

great thread thanks!
superseagulls

Post by superseagulls »

A little tip to keep the threaded part snug in your handlebars!
I was tired of always having to tighten the fitting so, I used a M8 flat washer and a M8 spring washer on the mirror thread. stays there like a charm now!

Put the Spring washer on first, then the flat washer.
pineapplemice

Lefties

Post by pineapplemice »

Anyone else notice that it seems to be a left-sided problem? When I first got my buddy (10-10-09. Yes, I remember the exact date. :P) my left mirror was a bit loose and the vibrations from scooting would cause it to spin around. The whole mirror arm would. I couldn't manage to get it to tighten at the base at all - by hand or with tools. I don't remember how I ended up fixing that, but it may have been the dealer's shop after the 300 mile check or however many.

Now I'm having the other problem (still with the left mirror), where the mirror wobbles around at the ball joint at the top. I used electrical tape for a while, but it just isn't doing the job anymore. I've run around town for some way to fix it, but no luck and the one motorcycle shop in town was out of the one mirror that -might- work and for some reason the shippers couldn't get them in. My scooter dealer is too far to easily get to without a big hassle (find someone with a truck for the highway or scoot around a lake for 2-3 hours :P), but the mirrors are oddly expensive online.

Anyways, I'm going to give the above solution a try, so thanks for the help. Still, interesting that it seems to be only (mostly?) left mirrors. I wonder why?
Communication Design Student. Pet owner. Hookah lover. Scooterist.

Scootin' since October 10, 2009.

Graduating in mid-May and moving to Kirkland, WA. Anyone know any good scooter groups in the area?
TVB

Re: Lefties

Post by TVB »

pineapplemice wrote:Anyone else notice that it seems to be a left-sided problem?
I had more problems with the right mirror before I understood what was going on. Both sides behave fine now that I know how to tighten them properly.
bluebuddygirl

Re: Lefties

Post by bluebuddygirl »

pineapplemice wrote:Anyone else notice that it seems to be a left-sided problem?
Because when the wind pushes on the mirror on the left it unscrews it, where as on the right side it holds it tight. So simple, but so true. :wink:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Wait a sec.... Don't we have mirror stems with left-handed _and_ right-handed threads???
Spannerx

Post by Spannerx »

PeteH wrote:Wait a sec.... Don't we have mirror stems with left-handed _and_ right-handed threads???
I don't know about any other manufacturers, but I do believe that Yamaha does it that way.