How to tighten mirror?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Spannerx wrote:
PeteH wrote:Wait a sec.... Don't we have mirror stems with left-handed _and_ right-handed threads???
I don't know about any other manufacturers, but I do believe that Yamaha does it that way.
The Buddys (and other PGO/Genuines) are as well.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I haven't had to futz with mine yet, but in the windshield installation PDF in the library ( http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddywindshield.pdf ) there's mention of SX and DX bolts, which I take to mean sin and dex, or left and right threaded.

Guess I should wrench and see.
TVB

Re: Lefties

Post by TVB »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Because when the wind pushes on the mirror on the left it unscrews it, where as on the right side it holds it tight. So simple, but so true. :wink:
Except that the threads go the opposite way, which cancels that out.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Spannerx wrote:
PeteH wrote:Wait a sec.... Don't we have mirror stems with left-handed _and_ right-handed threads???
I don't know about any other manufacturers, but I do believe that Yamaha does it that way.
I think you are right, well it made sense in my head...
Green Gloves

Post by Green Gloves »

I remembered this thread this morning on my way to work, when my left mirror first started wobbling, very loose at the swivel part on top.

Then on my way home after work before I even had a chance to search out the thread, off popped the mirror (yes, the left one) and away it rolled away into oncoming traffic. DOA.

I feel sort of bad making a warranty claim on it (one-year-old Buddy 1200 miles), given the bumpy commute I have every day but someone earlier mentioned a $20 replacement. Does anyone know where I can find that? All I see is the pair for $54. If I'm only given the choice of buying the pair, I'll request warranty replacement.
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

I remembered the gist of this thread when the right hand mirror swivel got loose on dear Wife's MB 150. My solution was a bit different in that I used a soap solution (dish wash detergent) in a spray bottle and soaked everything liberally. Flat screwdriver blade and fingernails got the rubber out with the mirror following. 8mm nut removed and LOCTITE red on the threads followed by snugging nut for friction. Put the black "rubber" thingy on the glass and gently pushed it back into the metal back. Went back in easier than out! Thanks to all of YOU here I am now waiting for the left one to get sloppy!

Karl
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Since my last attempt with left mirror ended up badly (thankfully the new one was already on it's way from scooterloungeonline) I decided not to mess with the righ side mirror and using mucho tape instead. My dealer says he ordered right mirror form Scooterworks but they were out for a while (back ordered) and its has been good 3 weeks.
With the left mirror when I did get to the bolt the reason I could not remove the mirror like everyone else here was able to is because it had tons of that gel glue under it. It just was not coming out in one piece. So it is tape for now. Not the best solution but hopefully at some point I will get replacement and then look for something that has bolts on the outside.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
powerslave65

Post by powerslave65 »

I just did this and you really have to push the black rubber outwards towards the rim of the mirror back so the mirror can clear the rubber when being lifted out. The cuticle analogy is correct but I still managed to nick mine all to hell before everything was said and done. The mirror is nice and sturdy now though. :shock:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

powerslave65 wrote:I just did this and you really have to push the black rubber outwards towards the rim of the mirror back so the mirror can clear the rubber when being lifted out. The cuticle analogy is correct but I still managed to nick mine all to hell before everything was said and done. The mirror is nice and sturdy now though. :shock:
You'll find now that you've done that mirror once, should it loosen again (make that when it loosens again), it will be much easier to push the rubber back the second time. It gets a bit easier with each time you do it. I just did one of mine again for about the fourth time. Takes me all of 3 minutes to finish the job now.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
afsmw516

It worked! (Floppy Mirror Syndrome fix)

Post by afsmw516 »

Many thanks to Olhogrider and SkootzKabootz for their step-by-step tutorial on how to tighten that nut behind the mirror. My goodness, it works! I just did it! If a late-50s, female, college music professor can do it, ANYONE CAN! (There's not a mechanical bone in my body, but I can sing real purty.)

BTW, it was my left mirror, too--someone commented on how it seems to be the left mirror more than the right.

What a great forum! I really appreciate the support and help, guys! :D
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" ~ Mark 8:36
afsmw516

AAARGH! Again!

Post by afsmw516 »

So no sooner do I successfully tighten the left mirror, than the right one goes the same route--hangin' like a limp dishrag. I did the right one just now, 24 hours after doing the left one--let's hope this does the trick for longer than a few days!
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" ~ Mark 8:36
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I had the same thing happen within weeks if not days. First left mirror (which I messed up fixing and ended buying another one. then right mirror went south. :cry:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
pcameronbrooks

Post by pcameronbrooks »

Thanks for all the help tightening my mirror........saved me buying a new one. It only took a couple of minutes.
rooster8d

Yay!!

Post by rooster8d »

I know this is an old thread, but I must thank all of you for your suggestions. They worked PERFECTLY!

Thanks again.
Diblit

Post by Diblit »

olhogrider....saw your pic and laughed!! so, i thought i'd show you what's on my buddy.....only hangs on with a magnet, but has stayed on at 50mph!!

buddy troll by diblit, on Flickr[/img]
And I shall call her "Fiona."

jd

Post by jd »

Yep, this is an old thread but it's a gift that keeps on giving. Was just about to order a new LH mirror for my Buddy 125, due to the looseness between the mirror and the stem, when I stumbled across yet another invaluable tidbit on Modern Buddy. Five minutes later, I have a tight mirror assembly and a feeling of accomplishment. I used a thin screwdriver and my thumbnail to push back the mirror "cuticle" and the kitchen counter to re-seat the mirror and gasket.

And I saved 30 bucks, too! :D
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I recently had this problem with my left mirror hanging limply at the connection to the stalk. Here's my experience: It took quite a while to ever so carefully push the black rubber gasket surrounding the mirror, back into the housing. I used a tiny screwdriver (the kind to tighten glasses) and even with that I chipped some of the mirror edges. After getting that gasket pushed back, the mirror was very difficult to get out. When I finally did, using a suction cup to manipulate it, I noticed that it was securely glued to the interior housing by two large goops of silicone. Some people report they had no silicone and that the mirror came out easily. After tightening the 8 mm nut, I sadly split the mirror putting it back in. This was my fault. Next time I would use the method mentioned above about placing the mirror on a table. I went out and bought a 4 inch mirror at the store for $1.49. It was too big. I attached it anyway, with glue, etc.. How naive. I did not realize that a hand mirror is for close up objects, so it did not work well on a scooter; things were blurry. I will reinstall my split mirror for now.
It isn't often that nut needs to be tightened, but I think the design should accommodate that occasional need. It's wasteful to throw out a whole mirror setup because of one loose nut. I could not find a way to contact Genuine to ask if I could buy just the mirror. I think now I could install it without breaking it.
jd

Post by jd »

Better yet, just replace it with this.

I replaced both sides with these and they are superior in every possible respect. Much better rearward vision and better build quality. Have never had mirror problems again since.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

jd. Does that mirror fit the Buddy 125 without any adaptations? Is there a right and left?
jd

Post by jd »

Absolutely no adaptations. Same thread. Just screw it in.

Here's the one for the right side.

Wished I had done it much sooner. Always hated those tiny Buddy mirrors.