Anyone tried to strap things on back of Buddy without rack?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gng

Anyone tried to strap things on back of Buddy without rack?

Post by gng »

Since I can't seem to find a rear rack, I was wondering if anyone has ever just strapped a milk crate on the standard back rack of their Buddy? It seems big enough - wouldn't it be just as solid as the rear rack? Any serious downsides? I like the look of the bike without the rack anyway, so if this would work then perhaps all my problems are solved.

On a related topic, I was thinking of getting a front rack just to hide the punch outs (unless someone has a better idea) but wondering if the front is actually useful or not. Not that I can find a front rack either, of course :x
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Honda Ruckus front rack and the dual headlights will be killer on the Buddy.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i attatched a basket to the plastic piece that comes on the buddy, all i did was drill a few holes in the plastic piece and run some small carriage bolts through there then some big washers to hold the basket on. maybe you could do something similar.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

topic3015.html

on the second page you can see some big stuff that i carried without a rack
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Yesterday I wanted to pick up some extra things that were going to be pretty heavy so in addition to my rear rack, saddlebags, and Chico bags I put a long milk crate (more rectangular than square) on the back of my seat.

I am assuming you could do the same thing with any sort of crate or box on the back of your seat. Since the box was actually sitting on the back of my seat I didn't have to worry about the weight and it made a nice back rest. :) I suppose you would have to sit on your seat and see how that might work for you, but basically first I ran a bungee under my seat before I closed it so the ends were hanging out on either side (I use the regulation round bungees, but you could use one of those flat ones, and that might be even better!). Then, before I hooked those up I took two more bungees underneath and over the crate (parallel to the sides of the scoot) and hooked them to my rear rack. For extra security, when I pulled the bungees over the top I crossed or "X'd" them before hooking them. I am assuming you can hook those to your back plastic thingy that is there. Then I pulled up the bungee ends that were sticking out from under my seat and hooked them to the sides of the crate.

This was a pretty good system so I could get home three gallons of water, two 12 packs of soda and lots of canned goods, heavy melon and peaches, and stuff like that.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Good luck with whatever you try! :)
~Celebrate~
cabingirl

Post by cabingirl »

Just FYI, the rear racks (black and chrome) are in stock at Scooterworks today. I placed an order on Monday expecting it to be backordered, but I guess they got some in just yesterday.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Yeah, its no big deal. I strapped a $6000 Fiber Optic Switch to the back of my buddy this morning with bungee cords for my commute to work. I don't think it would have actually fit on the rack, as it had to overlap the seat by a bit before I was comfortable with it staying put.
sotied

Post by sotied »

I had my girlfriend on the back once to go see 4th of July fireworks and another time to go to breakfast.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

1st day I had the scoot. 6 large pepperoni pizzas from little Caesars. no rack. bungees and a greasy scooter seat.
cabingirl

Post by cabingirl »

sotied wrote:I had my girlfriend on the back once to go see 4th of July fireworks and another time to go to breakfast.
Did you strap her down with bungees? :D
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Kaos wrote:Yeah, its no big deal. I strapped a $6000 Fiber Optic Switch to the back of my buddy this morning with bungee cords for my commute to work. I don't think it would have actually fit on the rack, as it had to overlap the seat by a bit before I was comfortable with it staying put.
Niiiiiiice!
LibrlDemo

Post by LibrlDemo »

Before getting my rear rack, I used bungees to secure a wicker basket to the seat and rear bar. Worked great. You should be careful though. The basket did scratch the rear bar.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

siobhan wrote:
Kaos wrote:Yeah, its no big deal. I strapped a $6000 Fiber Optic Switch to the back of my buddy this morning with bungee cords for my commute to work. I don't think it would have actually fit on the rack, as it had to overlap the seat by a bit before I was comfortable with it staying put.
Niiiiiiice!
Hey, isn't your avatar from the traffic light "Walk" signals used in Berlin, Germany?
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Last edited by Ronin on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

LibrlDemo wrote: You should be careful though. The basket did scratch the rear bar.
On my 50cc I bungeed a milk crate to that rear piece....I don't know what the gizmo is called. To keep the crate from scratching it, I cut out a section of that rubberized "kitchen shelf liner" stuff that you can get from Lowes or the grocery store, a little larger than the area it needed to cover. It served two purposes...it kept the milk crate from sliding around and it protected the gizmo that it was strapped to from getting scratched. Worked fine until I got a rear rack and my basket. Actually, the milk crate held a lot more than my new basket.
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

I just got a chrome rack this week - I think it says it has a weight limit of 11 lbs. Have any of you had trouble with the rack weight limit?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I cable-tied a black Sun bicycle basket to the grab bars on the rear of my Psycho.

I first had covered the rear grab bar surface with rubber from bike tire innertubing also zip-tied on.

I can still open the seat easily for storage there and with the basket I can attach some soft small bags, bottle holders, and fly a hi-viz flag off the back of the scoot.

I also have soft black equine saddle bags that I can toss on for extra carrying space.

I will try to post a pic later.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Some cool ideas here. I like the soft pack idea. I think I want a soft pack that collapses flatish when not in use(99% of the time), and expands and can be bungeed down when full of stuff.