Buddy 170i speedo issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ssyorkie

Buddy 170i speedo issue

Post by ssyorkie »

Well, my speedometer was not working on and off...but if I did a sudden deceleration and laid off the throttle it would kick back in. Now it has completely stopped working...which also obviously means that my odometer is no longer logging miles. Any ideas? Is it common at close to 8000 miles, which is what I should roll over in another 125 miles...but I won't until it is repaired. What should I check first? I don't have a super reliable scooter repair place close, so should I remove the front plastics to see if it has actually disconnected or ??????

Thanks everyone in advance!
DeeDee

Re: Buddy 170i speedo issue

Post by DeeDee »

3 possible causes, speedo hub at the front wheel, 2 speedometer, 3 speedo cable. Easiest is to pull the cable connection at the hub, check the end of the cable. Is it solid, check the hub where it fits. How does it look? I've seen the square end snap off the rest of the cable. Try this, report back. I'll give you step 2.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Remove the cover on top of the handlebar(the part that holds the speedometer) and see if the speedometer cable is still connected to the speedometer.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Pro tip: it is much easier to tighten or loosen the knurled knob that screws the cable into the speedometer under the handlebar cover, ie, at the top of the cable, if you FIRST disconnect the cable from the wheel sensor, ie, at the bottom of the cable.

Disconnecting the bottom gives you just a bit of extra room at the top that lets you get your fingers in for manipulation.
ssyorkie

Post by ssyorkie »

DeeDee wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:30 am 3 possible causes, speedo hub at the front wheel, 2 speedometer, 3 speedo cable. Easiest is to pull the cable connection at the hub, check the end of the cable. Is it solid, check the hub where it fits. How does it look? I've seen the square end snap off the rest of the cable. Try this, report back. I'll give you step 2.
Turned out that the speedo cable was indeed completely disconnected at the top under the speedo housing/behind the headlight. I am proud to say that I got all of the plastics removed and headlight out of the way...screwed the cable back into its housing...and managed to put her all back together again. The speedo is working properly. Thanks all!!!!
tenders

Post by tenders »

Congratulations.

Also, congratulations, congratulations, and congratulations.
ssyorkie

Post by ssyorkie »

Thanks! I was pretty proud of doing it all myself...even though it wasn't really a "mechanical" issue. Still saved myself some money in labor and got her all back together again myself...including the headlight housing as it had to be dangling over the front of the scoot to get enough room to screw that cable back in!