Whitewall tires on New Buddy Scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

New2Scoots

Whitewall tires on New Buddy Scooters

Post by New2Scoots »

New Buddy scooters with whitewall tires; what brand are they? They used to be Maxxis & now they're either Prima, Shinko or Continental I think. Which is best? I want whitewall tires but I want all the grip I can get.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

350kmi

Re: Whitewall tires on New Buddy Scooters

Post by 350kmi »

I believe the new Buddys come with Prima "RII" whitewall tires. I ordered some in the 100/90-10 size from Scooterworks last year and they are the same tread pattern as what the new scooters have. I am happy with how they handle and would say they are very comparable to good blackwall tires I have run and likely as good if not better than the Maxxis whitewalls that came on my '14 Buddy.

It is a little confusing because there are two different tread patterns for the Prima whitewall. This is the older tread pattern which is NOT what the current new Buddies come with which looks like this: https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Tire ... all-350-10 I wasn't able to find a picture of the newer tread, but I can take a picture of mine later and post them. I asked Scooterworks about it when I picked up mine up it sounded like the 100/90-10 size is the new pattern and 3.50-10 is still the old pattern. I believe the older tread doesn't have a specific model name but the newer ones have "Prima F11" printed on the side wall. Scoooterworks hasn't updated the pictures on their site for the 100/90-10 - which is the size the new Buddys with whitewalls use.

I have tried both the Shinko and Continental whitewalls in the past and found them to be ok but not very sporty. Of the two I preferred the Shinkos by a fair bit. It's also worth noting that tire Continental whitewalls were only available as a tube type tire, added a tube can be done but it is a hassle. The Shinkos are available as either tubeless or tube type, so you need to be sure to order the right ones.
Last edited by 350kmi on Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New2Scoots

Re: Whitewall tires on New Buddy Scooters

Post by New2Scoots »

Thanks, I'll get the Prima 100/90-10 tires.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X