New Buddy 50 Owner

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bollert

New Buddy 50 Owner

Post by bollert »

Down at Bike Week on the Harley, and my sister was bumming with no ride. We were walking around dealers and they had 2 Buddy 50s just came in on trade, and sold them good price. 2014s one with 57 miles “blue” and the other 131 “orange”. Dealer said they serviced them, but 57 miler “blue” seized today...

It freed up but won’t start. I have never disassembled a 2 stroke but I think I want to go through both when I get back to Dallas.

Looking for some suggestions. I’m thinking these bikes have original oil and may even original gas in blue. Before I spend more than I paid for them at a dealer, would like some help finding info on parts and process. I am mechanically inclined.

Thanks!!
tenders

Re: New Buddy 50 Owner

Post by tenders »

What does “dealer serviced them” mean exactly, if they still contain original fuel?

Oil is no big deal as the two-stroke oil doesn’t really have a shelf life, assuming the two-stroke oil tank isn’t somehow empty, and the first transmission gear oil change doesn’t need to take place until about 500-600 miles.

This is a classic case of having to check for the presence of fuel, compression, and spark. What were the symptoms of the seizing? With new old scooter like this I would strongly consider carb gunk problems, possibly related to gunk from the tank and fuel lines coming from upstream, before worrying about seizing. Remove the carb, drain and flush the tank to confirm clean fresh fuel throughout by holding open the vacuum petcock, disassemble and clean the carb and jets meticulously, and see what happens.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Were you following the break in instructions in the owner's manual when the scooter seized?
Buddie50LI

Post by Buddie50LI »

I wonder if the OP will ever come back and update us on the issue. Seized could mean any number of things, from running out of gas to running without oil and melting the piston.