Can't remove air filter guard - howdya do it?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

phenomenalworld

Can't remove air filter guard - howdya do it?

Post by phenomenalworld »

After clearing 10,000 miles on my Buddy 125, I've decided, per suggestion, to replace the air filter. So I just went to unscrew the cover - pulled out all 5 or 6 screws - but it shows no signs of coming loose, is basically as secured as much as before removing the screws, leaving me with no idea what next to do to even begin to pry this sucker loose. Anyone know how to get this thing off? Is it snapped on somehow?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Did you get to the screw through the hole in the lower body panel?
phenomenalworld

I don't think so. Am not sure what you're referring to. Can you clarify, DeeDee?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

See that dime size hole in the plastic body panel? Straight up from the far left point of the airbox.... You have to put a phillips screwdriver through that hole, insert into the screw head and rotate to the left.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 7.50.27 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 7.50.27 AM.png (71.55 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 7.59.26 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 7.59.26 AM.png (57.45 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
phenomenalworld

Hey DeeDee, thanks for clarification and photos. The screw from that lower body panel happens to be missing. I also looked closer and the parts don't seem to really touch. You are sure they're connected?
But, yeah, no screw there, nut I appreciate your input. Am hoping somebody can enlighten me on some level. Does the filter cover usually come off super easy after pulling the screws out? Mine definitely does not. Almost have to wonder if previous owner glued it shut....I have no idea what to do.
phenomenalworld

P.S Oh!!! I just reread your description and...get it! You are saying that the hole accesses a screw BEHIND it attached to air filter? I will go check right now...
phenomenalworld

Ok, so, yes, I got the cover off thanks entirely to your gem pointer! Thank you so much for that. And it finally explains what that dime size hole's purpose is.

Yet I'm not out of the woods...Now I can't figure how to undo the hose from the filter. I'm sure it's not rocket science, but for 5 minutes I toyed with it without success and every effort involves pulling on the hose and I don't want to break/ruin it. Can you tell me how to...de-clamp...the actual hose?

Incidentally and for the record, for a bike ridden 10,000 miles, the old filter doesn't look as terrible as suspected, and I could've probably cleaned it with a compressed air (as many people do) and saved $20+ and not had to decouple the hose.
Last edited by phenomenalworld on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You have to remove the single phillips screw holding the filter into the housing.
Gently pull it forward. You will see a 1.25" hose connected to it. It's held in place by a spring clamp. If you remove the seat bucket, it's easier to get to. Replace the fuel filter while you are back there.
phenomenalworld

Going back to the backyard now...Just to clarify: yes, i saw the hose clearly, that's what I couldn't unclamp from filter. Are you are saying there's a screw within the spring clamp? Am probably misunderstanding, as I don't know how a spring clamp works.
Will check my phone for any more messages when down there in the bowels. Hopefully I can get this all screwed back together within the hour in time for work...
You've been a great guide thus far, DeeDee. Thanks much!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The single screw holds it into the housing. You have probably removed that by now. Get a pair of pliers and squeeze the prongs of the spring clamp together. I think it is a little too stiff do do with your fingers. When you squeeze the prongs together, this removes the tension on the clamp. The filter should fall right off the hose.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 2.38.20 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 2.38.20 PM.png (92.15 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
phenomenalworld

Hey DeeDee. I got your message just as I was wrapping up the bike, re-screwing it all too, then headed to work. I missed your bit about the spring clamp, which makes a lot of easy sense once you pointed it out. What I did instead was pull off the actual hose from the clamp on the back end of things, and then reinsert it. It looked like it was secure enough. But your suggestion would've been safer - I hope what I did doesn't leave me sorry. But, yeah, now I'm back in business with a fresh new air filter. Again, thanks so much for your input, it helped a lot!