Genuine is introducing two new scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Genuine is introducing two new scooters

Post by ucandoit »

I got an email that Genuine is introducing two new scooters. The Brio 50i and Urbano 50i. Both are 4 stroke, electronic fuel injection, dual disc brakes, and wisely, IMO, they have 12" tires. I think they look pretty nice. I'll stick with my Buddy 125, but wish it had 12" tires.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Yeah, do they really need 10 models in the 50cc universe? I sure don't get it.

I'd also agree that 125+cc scooters aren't really well-suited to 10" tires.
Rayc11949

Post by Rayc11949 »

I recently went down with my scoot and one of the riders with me blamed it on my 10 inch wheels.
I ride a 125 and have ridden over 7k miles in the last 2 years and never even thought that was an issue. But after some investigation I found that there does seem to be some co relationship to that idea.
Anyway I would like to see Buddy come out with a bigger scooter
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

My 170i is very well suited to 10" tires. That & the short wheelbase is why it's nimble. It's fun to ride because it's nimble. Also the reason most motorcycles now have 17" wheels instead of 18 & 19".
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Dont 50cc scoots still outsell all larger scoots combined?
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
personality

Post by personality »

I don't know why anyone would buy a 50cc scooter when they can get an electric bike for less but go almost as fast and store it inside
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

You referring to ebikes-aka: electric bicycles? I had a Pedego CityCommuter and I'm in the process of replacing it. Leaning towards either a Rad Runner (base model) or a AddMotor M-66 R7. Why do I point this out? I have a Yamaha Zuma that was taken apart for a carb swap, and its been sitting ever since. I lost interest in the scooter. Don't get me wrong, mopeds still have their purpose, like no range anxiety, most will hit 35-45mph and they have plenty of take-off power and can haul a passenger. But ebikes are catching up, and they to may need to be registered and tagged if they keep increasing in top speed.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

sc00ter wrote:You referring to ebikes-aka: electric bicycles? I had a Pedego CityCommuter and I'm in the process of replacing it. Leaning towards either a Rad Runner (base model) or a AddMotor M-66 R7. Why do I point this out? I have a Yamaha Zuma that was taken apart for a carb swap, and its been sitting ever since. I lost interest in the scooter. Don't get me wrong, mopeds still have their purpose, like no range anxiety, most will hit 35-45mph and they have plenty of take-off power and can haul a passenger. But ebikes are catching up, and they to may need to be registered and tagged if they keep increasing in top speed.
Not just because of speed alone, but also the corresponding increase in newly-minted e-diots who think that "It's only a bicycle, so "hey, how much harm can it do?". Wait'll the injuries and lawsuits start to pile up. It's like everything else in the 2-wheel world, the imbecility of the few outweighs the diligence of the many.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

As with many things, the laws haven't kept up with the technology. There are also unscrupulous vendors who love to say "it's just a bike".

As far as I'm concerned, if it operates at the same speeds as a 50cc moped or scooter, it should be subject to the same laws. but a lot of states have laws that don't even accept the existence of electric scooters, or they do, but vendors don't bother telling buyers that it needs to be registered. Just a mess.
tenders

Post by tenders »

By my count Genuine now has 11 options in the small-scooter lineup, 8 gas and 3 electric:
* Venture
* Rattler
* Roughhouse (2 versions, regular and sport)
* Buddy (2 versions, regular and International)
* Brio
* Urbano
* NIU (3 versions)

Is this a strategy, or is this the absence of a strategy? Do dealers like this extensive lineup, and is it supportable with parts, etc., or does it just lead to decision paralysis when somebody walks in looking for a scooter? My sense is that auto manufacturers have moved AWAY from this approach.
Last edited by tenders on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I would think that as long as the motors are the same, a dealer would be ok with the different models. You have a scooter for a tall customer, short, old school style, racer, etc. But if each engine is different-one has a carb, one has EFI, one is GY6 "based", one is "exclusive", etc. then it becomes a pain in the butt. Then again I'm not a dealer and am kinda curious as to how they feel.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

tenders wrote:Is this a strategy, or is this the absence of a strategy? Do dealers like this extensive lineup, and is it supportable with parts, etc., or does it just lead to decision paralysis when somebody walks in looking for a scooter? My sense is that auto manufacturers have moved AWAY from this approach.
I think it's a good strategy. When a potential customer looks at the Genuine lineup there is a good chance they will like the look of at least one of these scooters. I believe that's a big part of why scooters often come in so many colors. These scooters have different dimensions so different sized riders can find one that is comfortable. Also, Genuine is giving customers a good range of prices.

On the other hand if you look at Honda 50cc scooters you only have two choices the Metropolitan or the Ruckus and each comes in two colors. So if you doesn't like one of those four options you will have to look somewhere else.

Genuine is covering a lot of options in the 50cc market, gas or electric, carburetor or fuel injection, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, small wheels or big wheels, etc. A good salesperson will be able to talk the customer through all those options and help them find the right scooter.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I kind of like the NIU line, but the fastest, the GT, only gets to 45mph, and you better not do that too much, or you get a mere 30 miles of range.

Also, not all Genuine dealers carry NIU; mine doesn't :(
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I would just stick a 50cc engine kit on my bicycle.
Working on them is very easy, and you can put the savings aside for a bigger scoot in the future.
ahorsewithnoname

de-restrict

Post by ahorsewithnoname »

How do you de-restrict an urbano 50i?

Great-gran-pop
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Instead of a few more 50cc models, I'd welcome another 125cc model and a 200cc liquid cooled scooter. Fine to get them in the door with a 50cc offering, but lets give them something to step up to. :wink:

And yes, another electric Genuine is needed. One that has the speed and range of a Buddy 125. Then you're talking!
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I would like to see Genuine start upgrading current models in addition to bringing out new models. In particular I would like to see them start offering ABS or at least front wheel ABS. Overseas the Royal Alloy has ABS as does the Buddy Kick so it would be easy to bring it over here. As for the regular Buddy I can't see it being that hard to add front wheel ABS.

A Buddy with a 200cc engine, NCY suspension, and front wheel ABS might just be my perfect scooter.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Genuine Cruiser FTW!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
personality

Post by personality »

Syd wrote:Genuine Cruiser FTW!
What's that?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

personality wrote:
Syd wrote:Genuine Cruiser FTW!
What's that?
OMG! That is a long story. One version of the origin story is that Back in the Day, when scooter-mania roamed the earth, a certain entity, who shall remain nameless to protect the guilty-as-hell, may or may not have (definitely did) started a rumor that a "cruiser" scooter was imminently forthcoming from Genuine. Rumors of this mythical beast grew in size and intensity until it took on a life of its own and pretty soon photos of bigfoot riding the mythical scooter were circulating the blogosphere. Our fearless leader even produced an image of a superhero riding one. And the mania grew more and greater until it became manifold. Et Cetera. Et Cetera. Et Cetera.

Versions of the origin story are legion, but regardless of where it came from, the story took on a life of its own based entirely on wishful thinking with pretty much as many different sets of specifications as there are members on the board. To crib a phrase from Robert M. Pirsig, the "cruiser" myth became a culture carrier of our tiny micro-culture.

Here is ericalm's still-unconfirmed image of the mythical beast.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

It's interesting that Genuine is adding 50cc models when Yamaha has recently discontinued all their 50s in the US market. 2018 was the last year for the Vino 50 and 2019 appears to have been the last year for the Zuma 50F/50FX. Yamaha's website currently only lists 3 scooters: Zuma 125cc, Smax 155cc and Xmax 292cc

Neither the Vino and Zuma 50 had had much of an update since the addition of fuel injection in 2012/2013, but having a newer Vino in the family and currently owning a C3 (which has the same engine and the last Zuma 50) I can say they were still quite nice scooters.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

350kmi wrote:It's interesting that Genuine is adding 50cc models when Yamaha has recently discontinued all their 50s in the US market. 2018 was the last year for the Vino 50 and 2019 appears to have been the last year for the Zuma 50F/50FX. Yamaha's website currently only lists 3 scooters: Zuma 125cc, Smax 155cc and Xmax 292cc

Neither the Vino and Zuma 50 had had much of an update since the addition of fuel injection in 2012/2013, but having a newer Vino in the family and currently owning a C3 (which has the same engine and the last Zuma 50) I can say they were still quite nice scooters.
I believe the Japanese can no longer compete profitably in the 50cc market. So why should they try?

The Honda Metropolitan is the last Japanese 50cc left. MSRP is $2500. At least here, dealers charge full MSRP, plus a $400 doc fee, plus a $400 "setup fee". That makes it a $3300 bike, before tax.

Meanwhile, there are 10 Chinese scooter dealers in town that will happily sell you a 50cc scoot for a grand, with a $20 doc fee.

And in the middle, you can buy a Taiwanese 50cc from Genuine or Lance or Sym.

The problem with a $3300 Metropolitan is well, that it's $3300. There are very few people who are willing to spend that kind of dough on a 50. And aside from the Honda reputation, there's no good reason to.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Japanese manufacturers have continued to export 50cc scooters to the US as long as they have.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I think the Japanese manufactures agree it's hard to profit on the smaller scooters here and have moved some of their manufacturing out of Japan as a result. I first noticed this on my friends 2006 Yamaha Vino which according to manufacture's VIN/info sticker was manufactured by Yamaha Hong Kong.

Out of curious I just checked the manufacture's listed manufacture sites for some of my families other Japanese brand scoots:

2001 Honda Elite 80cc: Honda of Mexico
2003 Yamaha Vino 50cc: Yamaha of Japan
2009 Yamaha C3 50cc: Yamaha Hong Kong
2010 Honda Elite 110cc: Guangzhou Honda (China)
2013 Yamaha Vino 50cc: Yamaha Hong Kong
2016 Honda Metropolitan 50cc: Honda of Japan
2019 Honda Super Cub 125cc: Honda of Thailand

I haven't notice a whole lot quality differences between the different sources.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Interesting. I don't think it's a secret that Japanese manufacturers have had out-of-Japan operations for a while. But color me skeptical that Yamaha is actually "manufacturing" ANYTHING they make in Hong Kong, let alone Vino scooters.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

Yeah, I pretty much assumed Yamaha Hong Kong actually means somewhere mainland China.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

eggsalad wrote:
350kmi wrote:It's interesting that Genuine is adding 50cc models when Yamaha has recently discontinued all their 50s in the US market. 2018 was the last year for the Vino 50 and 2019 appears to have been the last year for the Zuma 50F/50FX. Yamaha's website currently only lists 3 scooters: Zuma 125cc, Smax 155cc and Xmax 292cc

I believe the Japanese can no longer compete profitably in the 50cc market. So why should they try?

The Honda Metropolitan is the last Japanese 50cc left. MSRP is $2500. At least here, dealers charge full MSRP, plus a $400 doc fee, plus a $400 "setup fee". That makes it a $3300 bike, before tax.

Meanwhile, there are 10 Chinese scooter dealers in town that will happily sell you a 50cc scoot for a grand, with a $20 doc fee.

The problem with a $3300 Metropolitan is well, that it's $3300. There are very few people who are willing to spend that kind of dough on a 50. And aside from the Honda reputation, there's no good reason to.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Japanese manufacturers have continued to export 50cc scooters to the US as long as they have.
i agree...the cheap chinese scooters are taking over and no one wants a 4 slow 50cc 4 stroke honda or yamaha so i can see why they are not selling...here people buy cheap 2 stroke chinese scooters and swap the engines out or modify them...or they look for 2 stroke pre-bugeye 50 cc zumas, honda dios and honda elites which are highly sought after...i'm thinking its due to aftermarket parts availability to make them go faster and cheaper cost while still be registered as a moped
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

eggsalad wrote:

Where is the Honda Ruckus made? The Ruckus is really popular around here and it sells for $2749 +$190 destination fee + Doc +Setup.

In my area there are also tons of 50cc Vespas and those start at $4,000 plus fees. I get that it's a Vespa and metal but it does show that people are willing to spend money on a 50cc.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

scootERIK wrote:In my area there are also tons of 50cc Vespas and those start at $4,000 plus fees. I get that it's a Vespa and metal but it does show that people are willing to spend money on a 50cc.
No, they are willing to spend $4k for a Vespa. I don't think that idea is transferable. After all people are also spending the better part of $8K on a 300 Vespa. (and I own one, so that isn't a throw away comment :) )

And it certainly depends on the product. I am a Honda fan from my very first scooter, a Honda 50 (a Cub), many years ago. I rode a Honda Metropolitan once. I felt like a monkey riding on a basketball.....slowly.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

The couple Ruckus I have looked at said the were made in Japan.

I would guess the popularity of 50cc scooters depends a lot on local and state regulations. In Wisconsin (where I and I believe scootERIK live) if a scooter is under 50cc it does not require a motorcycle license to ride. The dealers I have talked to say there are a lot of people who don't want to bother getting the cycle license.

One advantage the modern Honda and Yamaha 50cc scooters have over most, if not all, of the new China 50s is that they are water-cooled 4-strokes vs. the air-cooled 4-strokes. (Does anyone know if you can still a buy a new cheap road legal 2-stroke scooter? The dealers around me only sell 4-strokes now. I'm not counting the Buddy 50 as its not $1000 scooter new) The water-cooling does allow for a modest bump up in power. I have ridden a few China air-cooled 4-strokes and they had a very hard time making it up to 35 MPH and drop to 25 on hills with my 195.lbs on board. While it's is still nowhere near a 125cc speed, my water-cooled Honda and Yamaha 50s will get up to a GPS 40 MPH and on the same hills will maintain 32-35 MPH.

It is a fair question if 4-5 extra max MPH, slight more acceleration and hill holding power is worth the extra dollars. For a lot of people looking for a 50cc scooter likely not. Perhaps if you are limiting your engine size to 50cc for regulatory reasons, aren't interested in modding your scoot, want a brand you are familiar with and associate with quality it might be worth it.

I will note I didn't pay full price for either my C3 ($700 off Craigslist during the winter) or Metropolitan (new, but a previous model year, bought during the winter from a rural dealer with a $400 rebate from Honda, $200 off from dealership, and no prep/doc. fees)
tenders

Post by tenders »

There were a couple of states, Florida and South Carolina among them, that didn't require driver's licenses at all to drive 50cc scooters. They were treated the same as bicycles, basically. This created a particular source of demand for 50cc scooters: people who had lost their licenses.

Apparently this is a pretty big market. So big that, when South Carolina changed their law to require a license with 50ccs, a scooter shop with a significant online parts operation that many of us here have probably done business with moved out of Charleston altogether and into lower-cost Arkansas.

It would not surprise me in the least if that market of buyers sought out the brand recognition, reliability, and low drama of Honda and Yamaha scooters to solve their situations. And that their removal from the market was the tipping point for 50cc machines from those manufacturers.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

350kmi wrote:One advantage the modern Honda and Yamaha 50cc scooters have over most, if not all, of the new China 50s is that they are water-cooled 4-strokes vs. the air-cooled 4-strokes. (Does anyone know if you can still a buy a new cheap road legal 2-stroke scooter? The dealers around me only sell 4-strokes now. I'm not counting the Buddy 50 as its not $1000 scooter new)
I understand you leave out the Buddy 50 for reasons of cost relative to the point you are making. On the other hand, if PGO continues to build a 2T 50 that can be legally imported to the US, hard to understand why no one else can manage it.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

tenders wrote:By my count Genuine now has 11 options in the small-scooter lineup, 8 gas and 3 electric:
* Venture
* Rattler
* Roughhouse (2 versions, regular and sport)
* Buddy (2 versions, regular and International)
* Brio
* Urbano
* NIU (3 versions)

Is this a strategy, or is this the absence of a strategy? Do dealers like this extensive lineup, and is it supportable with parts, etc., or does it just lead to decision paralysis when somebody walks in looking for a scooter? My sense is that auto manufacturers have moved AWAY from this approach.
For the sake of being Pedantic, the rattler was a one year only "Special edition" that isn't being produced anymore (try and find a 2020 rattler). There is only one buddy 50, international is just a color package. My guess is that Genuine is trying out a fuel injected 50, which seems like a safe bet vs carbs for your average "I don't know which end of the screwdriver to hold" type of rider. With Yamaha out of the 50cc game, they are probably trying to grab the market that was previously occupied by the Yamaha fuel injected zuma. Who knows if it's a profitable market though, since Yamaha did abandon it. That being said, it's been what....four years since they launched a new model (ignoring electrics)?
tenders

Post by tenders »

Interesting. I haven't been inside a Buddy dealership in years that had any inventory to speak of, and was going by what was on their website...which is what a potential customer would see.

They position the Buddy and the International as separate models - probably to anchor people to the lower price and then upsell them on the two-tone color and whitewalls. I get that, but it just feels to me like the number of options is overwhelming.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Around my area, the 2 main Genuine dealers only carry the 50cc range, and thats the Buddy 2-stroke and the Rough House 2-stroke. At the start of the year they may have one Buddy 125 and/or a 170cc at once its gone its all 50cc 2-strokes. Both dealers say they are good sellers and reliable.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

sc00ter wrote:Around my area, the 2 main Genuine dealers only carry the 50cc range, and thats the Buddy 2-stroke and the Rough House 2-stroke.
I would venture that *most* scooters sold in the US are in the 50cc class, so that's what dealers stock.

Many/most states do not require an MC endorsement to ride a 50. Some states do not require a license at all. (We used to call 50cc scoots "DWI mobiles".)

I don't know about insurance laws, but having lived in 5 states, I've never lived anywhere that required insurance on a 50.

Likewise with registrations. Some states don't register 50s, some have a one-time registration, and even in the states with annual registrations, it's cheap.

Step up to anything over 50cc, and in virtually all of the states, the rider is in for the same obligations of a full-dress Harley. MC endorsement, annual registration, and insurance. It's a real commitment to ride a bigger scooter, and many people don't want to be bothered, or they figure if they go that far, might as well ride an actual motorcycle.

I think that's why you don't see a whole lot of effort from manufacturers or dealers in the midi- and maxi-scooter arenas. (edit: In the USA, I mean.)
Point37

Post by Point37 »

tenders wrote:There were a couple of states, Florida and South Carolina among them, that didn't require driver's licenses at all to drive 50cc scooters. They were treated the same as bicycles, basically. This created a particular source of demand for 50cc scooters: people who had lost their licenses.

Apparently this is a pretty big market. So big that, when South Carolina changed their law to require a license with 50ccs, a scooter shop with a significant online parts operation that many of us here have probably done business with moved out of Charleston altogether and into lower-cost Arkansas.

It would not surprise me in the least if that market of buyers sought out the brand recognition, reliability, and low drama of Honda and Yamaha scooters to solve their situations. And that their removal from the market was the tipping point for 50cc machines from those manufacturers.
MA as well...<30 mph moped all you need is a drivers license/permit...>30 mph<40 mph limited use you need a drivers license...

https://www.mass.gov/doc/limited-use-ve ... t/download

moped
A moped must have an automatic transmission, an
engine capacity that doesn’t exceed 50 cc and can
not go faster than 30 miles an hour. A moped needs
a registration sticker and a plate from the Registry of Motor
Vehicles to operate on the roads, and can be parked
on a sidewalk.

limited use
The new law that takes effect July 31 includes
an additional category of two- to three-wheeled
vehicles, called “limited use� vehicles. These vehicles
can go faster than 30 mph and reach a top speed
of 40 miles an hour. Unlike mopeds, these vehicles
need to meet federal safety certification, be titled,
inspected, insured and registered with the RMV
which now has a distinctive plate for limited use
vehicles. An operator of a limited use vehicle must
have a driver’s license unless it is federally certified as
a motorcycle, then a motorcycle license or permit is
required.

motorcycle
A two- or three-wheeled cycle that goes faster than
40 miles an hour can be registered as a motorcycle.
An operator needs a motorcycle license to operate,
and the motorcycle must meet federal safety
certification for a motorcycle, be titled, insured,
inspected and registered with a motorcycle plate.
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
TTaM

Post by TTaM »

My guess is emissions is going to kill the Buddy 50 eventually. I imagine a 4T is was easier to be compliant, so I'm glad to see Genuine introducing more 50cc scoots.

What I don't understand is pricing. The Buddy is $100 more than the new Brio and Urbano. How is a carb'd 2T rear drum scoot with 10" wheels more than a FI 4T with dual discs and 12" wheels? I guess that's the Chine vs Taiwan price difference.

And there is the Venture, I've never seen one in person, but its also $100 less than the Buddy, and its 4T with dual disc brakes and 16"/14" wheels, though the US market seems rough for big wheel scooters.
PottsVision

Post by PottsVision »

charlie55 wrote:Not just because of speed alone, but also the corresponding increase in newly-minted e-diots who think that "It's only a bicycle, so "hey, how much harm can it do?". Wait'll the injuries and lawsuits start to pile up. It's like everything else in the 2-wheel world, the imbecility of the few outweighs the diligence of the many.
This is happening... while cycling I came across a healthcare professional and she chastised me for not having a helmet on - citing the recent uptick in cycling related injuries she has come across...

No surprise at all - I live in Asheville/heart of the Appalachian mountains... lots of 10%+ grades, lots of gravel/potholes/rocks etc... lots of blind corners... lots of drivers who dont care - and many more people who don't know their way around the side streets so they try to stay on the mainstreets and wobble their way uphill at 5mph while traffic is going 40... recipe for disaster - COVID has encouraged thousands of people to ride bikes, and E-Bikes make the problem even worse as they increase speeds. Cornering/traction etc they dont even think about... they hit a patch of wet leaves and its a hard lesson.

This phenomena will be short lived - most give up after that first fall, or "stick to the trails" and slow it down. After a BIG increase in cyclists I've noticed it curtail... I've seen these goofballs get pulled down because they are trying to ride with their dog leash attached to the handlebars - multiple occasions, I even stopped and told people how foolish it was (must have been a FB meme that told them to ride/walk to dog a few months ago??)... thats almost a guaranteed broken collarbone, particularly if you are completely oblivious and dont even try to limit the damage of your fall...

I've been at it for over a decade, some time as a bike messenger in Chicago - some time as a racer who won some races (both here in the mountains and in Chicago)... and haven't had a car for about that long - my scooter is as close to a car as I've gotten in this time... and I truly realize the dangers of this mode of transportation and respect it 100%... I wear "protective equipment" as the speed warrants it - but always paying 100% attention and never cornering at the limits... very pro-active regarding road hazards (or the possibility thereof)... and new riders are absolutely not going to have that level of wherewithal - the E-Bike situation is exacerbating this "problem"... in cities I can imagine more people are getting doored (I've been doored, NOT fun... can be deadly...) as they are going too fast and the people getting out of their cars are obsessed with their phone/not paying attention...

Though, as well, those who have what it takes may just find love - I've gone through the rather painful rites of passage and such tribulation has only increased my enjoyment as I learn and grow.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I am just glad that Genuine didn't decide to produce a Grom clone.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

A recent addition to the San Francisco scooter scene is the appearance of a new electric scooter rental company. Placed all over the city, these Revel electric scooters are available to rent via an APP through your smart phone. The scooters themselves look really nice and well made. I'm tempted to rent one just to try it out. The reason I mention this is because these scooters are made by NIU.
Since the appearance of Revel, I've been seeing less and less of the Scoot scooters that normally litter the streets. I'm guessing it's because the Revel scoots are much better than the (crappy) Scoots.

It costs US$1.15(?) to start the ride then US$0.35 per minute thereafter. To add a passenger costs an extra US$1.00. To make it easier for those deprived of math skills, that's US$21.00 per hour. Their speed limit is governed to 30 MPH. Your ride is automatically liability insured at no additional cost. You can pause your ride (but not stop the rental) at anytime and you won't get charged for the pause time. Pause as in stopping to go shopping, to go to a friends house, whatever.

I'd upload pictures of the scooter but apparently I've permanently reached my upload limit. No more How-To's and other tech postings for me I guess.

They are in several cities at the moment with more coming, I assume.

Here's their website: www.gorevel.com
Last edited by babblefish on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

babblefish wrote:I'd upload pictures of the scooter but apparently I've permanently reached my upload limit. No more How-To's and other tech postings for me I guess.
Have you looked into a photo hosting site like https://postimages.org
That's how I post pictures to this site.

They seem to do a decent job, though they do sometimes add extra links to the pictures.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

scootERIK wrote:
babblefish wrote:I'd upload pictures of the scooter but apparently I've permanently reached my upload limit. No more How-To's and other tech postings for me I guess.
Have you looked into a photo hosting site like https://postimages.org
That's how I post pictures to this site.

They seem to do a decent job, though they do sometimes add extra links to the pictures.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. The only thing I'm concerned about when using a hosting site is that if they go away or their policy changes then all of the photos I've posted goes away. That's already happened on some of my early postings.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I am still in the Genuine Cruiser camp. Phil is gone, long live Phil!

I wonder if the cruiser was Phil's undoing?
The majority is always sane - Nessus