Buddy 50 totally dead - been sitting for years in garage

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jpdatl

Buddy 50 totally dead - been sitting for years in garage

Post by jpdatl »

Hi All, I'm new to the forum. I have a 2007 Buddy 50. It's always been garaged so it's in very good shape. I haven't used it for years and it's totally dead. I want to work on it myself. I know the gas in it is no good and I'm kind of stuck there. If it's been years, can I add some treatment to it and then top it off? Or should I plan to drain it somehow? Once I'm past the gas issue, I'm planning to pull spark plug and thinking battery may be dead too. Any suggestions for a newbie mechanic to get started on this project?
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

At a minimum, you are looking at draining the gas tank, fuel line, replacing the fuel filter and removing the carb to clean it. Also you will be replacing the battery. I am no expert on this concern, but there are many threads that cover this very topic. Good luck and keep us posted. :wink:
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If this has sat for more than 6 months, you should pull the gas tank and clean it, and you will need to pull the carb and do the same. The jets are surely clogged. Gas will turn to varnish if left very long.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My Pink Buddy thread covered almost everything you will encounter. The stale, nasty gas gummed up the tank and I had to ultra-sonic the carb. Nothing is terribly hard. The carb bowl screws like to round out because they call for a special screw driver (forgot name-JIS?) but you can replace the bowl bolts with allen heads from a hardware store. Also, be careful removing the bowl. Don't let it catch on or bend the float seat height.