What weight variator sliders / rollers are you using?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

personality

What weight variator sliders / rollers are you using?

Post by personality »

Just switched from stock on my 170i to 12 gram sliders from Dr Pulley and am not super impressed. I think I lost acceleration but maybe gained a little top speed. The acceleration is more linear.

I ordered some 10 grams rollers off eBay today and will report back when I install them. Acceleration is more important for me than top speed these days.

Anyway, what weight are you running in your scoot? How do you like them?
Last edited by personality on Thu May 21, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JettaKnight

Re: What weight variator sliders / rollers are you using?

Post by JettaKnight »

personality wrote:Just switched from stock on my 170i to 12 gram sliders from Dr Pulley and am not super impressed. I think I lost acceleration but maybe gained a little top speed.

I ordered some 10 grams rollers off eBay today and will report back when I install them. Acceleration is more important for me than top speed these days.

Anyway, what weight are you running in your scoot? How do you like them?
As I recall, I have half and half, maybe 12 & 14 sliders, staggered.

But, I also have a stiffer counterspring.
personality

Post by personality »

Test one: all dr. pulley 12g sliders
Impressions: Linear acceleration, but slower off the line than stock rollers
Top speed in the low-60's

Test two: 3 12g dr. pulley sliders & 3 10g rollers
Impressions: Fairly linear acceleration until around 40mph, when it suddenly feels like it drops into the power band and pulls well into the 50's (I want to achieve this but at lower speeds, like pulling like this starting at 10mph, and will sacrifice top speed to get there)
Top speed in the low-60's

Test three: All 10g rollers
Impressions: Hard to really say? I think it accelerates a little better at low speeds, but isn't super impressive off the line like through an intersection. Acceleration definitely feels smooth and linear, no really gaps or jumps.
Top speed achieved was around an indicated 60mph

FWIW, I'm 225lbs, so I'm not winning any top speed contests.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I switched from stock to 12g Dr. Pulley sliders. I was not impressed.

I lost both acceleration and top end. It climbed hills slower. Gas mileage increased though.

If I had a do-over, I'd try the 11g sliders or just go back to the stock rollers.
personality

Post by personality »

After riding around a bit more, including some with a passenger, I'm pretty happy with the acceleration with the 10g rollers. I may switch back to stock for a quick back to back test, but I'll probably stick with the 10g's.