Genuine electric scooter on the way?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dooglas

Genuine electric scooter on the way?

Post by Dooglas »

According to this article, Genuine Scooters will become the US importer for retail sales of NIU Revel electric scooters.

https://electrek.co/2019/06/08/niu-elec ... sales-usa/
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

They had two of them at Amerivespa this year. They look nice.

wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The spec is close to that of the CSC City Slicker at a lower price. The CSC City Slicker has sold well.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

As nice as those might be, they'll probably not sell well in San Francisco. Here we have a company called "Scoot" that has their electric scooters all over the city available for rent for really cheap. I see them all over the place. They used to offer this little car (smaller than a Smart car) for rent too but I think they discontinued that. Darn, and I opened an account with them just so that I could try out one of those things.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Cheaper and faster than the Vespa e-scooter, and pretty nice looking to. I "might" be interested in one but I've gotten spoiled by e-bicycles. I can ride on the sidewalk, blast red lights and do other dumb bicycle things like not have to wear a helmet. Quick story: Im riding my e-bicycle to work and pass a road bike rider. He's all decked out in roadie gear and I have on a sun hat and sneakers with street clothes. He does a double take as I pass him, Im on the sidewalk. Every time he almost catches me, I slip away doing dumb things. He finally catches up and tries to follow me under an underpass. I dont care about mud, water, drops off curbs, bumps, cracks-I ride hard. He almost goes down from a big crack in the concrete! He said I was a bad bicycle example thru panted breath at the red light. I told him I come from a bmx background and didnt care.
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

As a long time e-biker and longer scooter rider I must say that it is people like you that will get ebikes banned from city centers. Riding at speed on sidewalks is an appallingly selfish and dangerous act that shows complete disregard for those that use our sidewalks: pedestrians.

And in what way does a BMX background excuse you from complying with basic common sense laws? Is there an ASSHOLE exemption?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

sc00ter wrote:Cheaper and faster than the Vespa e-scooter, and pretty nice looking to. I "might" be interested in one but I've gotten spoiled by e-bicycles. I can ride on the sidewalk, blast red lights and do other dumb bicycle things like not have to wear a helmet. Quick story: Im riding my e-bicycle to work and pass a road bike rider. He's all decked out in roadie gear and I have on a sun hat and sneakers with street clothes. He does a double take as I pass him, Im on the sidewalk. Every time he almost catches me, I slip away doing dumb things. He finally catches up and tries to follow me under an underpass. I dont care about mud, water, drops off curbs, bumps, cracks-I ride hard. He almost goes down from a big crack in the concrete! He said I was a bad bicycle example thru panted breath at the red light. I told him I come from a bmx background and didnt care.
If blasting red lights means you're running red lights in addition to not wearing a helmet, and using sidewalks to ride hard on (aren't they for pedestrians?), I'm on the side of the road bike rider.

Bill in Seattle
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:If blasting red lights means you're running red lights in addition to not wearing a helmet, and using sidewalks to ride hard on (aren't they for pedestrians?), I'm on the side of the road bike rider.
Ditto!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I don't think sc00ter rides like a juvenile delinquent hooligan all the time. He just got a little excited
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

E-bikes already get enough undeserved bad rap and have been banned from many places. The last thing we need is more inconsiderate people adding fuel to the fire.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
iwannascoot

Rental scoots

Post by iwannascoot »

Here in Atlanta they have a bunch of electric little scooters like the Razor type. They are everywhere. You just pick one up wherever you happen to be and leave it when you're done. I don't know how the rent works since I rarely go into Atlanta.

The point is, there have been so many fatalities on these things from getting hit by cars that you can no longer use them at night and they want to outlaw them completely. They are very popular and lots of people use them.
OBX Dan

Re: Rental scoots

Post by OBX Dan »

iwannascoot wrote:Here in Atlanta they have a bunch of electric little scooters like the Razor type. They are everywhere. You just pick one up wherever you happen to be and leave it when you're done. I don't know how the rent works since I rarely go into Atlanta.

The point is, there have been so many fatalities on these things from getting hit by cars that you can no longer use them at night and they want to outlaw them completely. They are very popular and lots of people use them.
Darwin's Law.
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

I don’t understand why they are not just considered to be litter: junk left abandoned on the sidewalk..... Whenever it’s not inconvenient, I pitch them into the dumpster, just like any other trash left lying on the sidewalks. It’s called being a good citizen.