New to me, Used Roughhouse

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

koneill

New to me, Used Roughhouse

Post by koneill »

Hello everybody, back in the day I had a 2007 Roughhouse. Sadly had to sell a year later but I am back at it with a 2016 Roughhouse! Excited to get riding again.

My question is about speed, more specifically, uphill speed. I am a big rider (6'5", 220 lbs). When riding on level ground, I can get to 40-45 mph, and above on downhills). Going uphill is a bit more difficult. Sometimes it can go up a hill at 20 mph but more often then not, it struggles and may be going 10-15 mph. Is this because of my size or does this have to do with something scooter related?

thanks for your help!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Let's see, 6'5", 220 lb rider on a 50cc scooter making 4.8 hp, 3.8 ft/lb of torque at sea level trying to climb up a hill...hmm, I would say the little guy is giving it all she's got, Captain, lol. And what's the elevation of Littleton, CO? 5350 feet or so?
Though it's possible to hop-up the engine in your Roughhouse, have you ever considered a bigger scooter? Something with fuel injection to handle the higher elevation.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You can de-restrict it and rejet. That would allow you to hit the bottom of the hill at a higher speed. Its just not going to climb like a bigger engine can climb.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

How steep a hill are we talking about? If you are topping out at 45 (indicated on the speedo) and it's able to hold an idle just fine, then you probably have a healthy top end. But if the variator components are due for replacement (belt, rollers, clean/grease the rear pulley cam), you will definitely lose some hill climbing ability.

That being said, if we're talking mountains here, you may need to consider hopping it up or looking into a larger bike.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Why not consider a Hooligan? Lots more power and fuel injection.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

There's no replacement for displacement. You need a bigger engine.

I have a Buddy 125 that struggles to do 40 mph on a few of the hills around my neighborhood. And I only live at 400 feet and weigh 155 pounds. I'm 6 feet tall.

Fortunately, the Buddy 125 is the same size as the Buddy 50. So I still have a tiny scooter, just more power in the same small package.

I personally would suggest a 200cc or more for someone your size and weight. Especially if you think you might occasionally ride 2-up. The problem is finding a scooter that will fit someone that's 6'5". I can't believe you fit on a Roughhouse.
koneill

Post by koneill »

sometimes it will struggle on a hill that is only a few degrees from level. i'm just using it to putz around my immediate area with an occasional longer ride so not really interested in a more powerful scooter. I may have to look into the variator components.

thaks
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

koneill wrote:sometimes it will struggle on a hill that is only a few degrees from level. i'm just using it to putz around my immediate area with an occasional longer ride so not really interested in a more powerful scooter. I may have to look into the variator components.

thaks
At your height and weight, you're totally miscast on a 50cc scooter. To those around you, you probably look like a 16 year old trying to ride a 6 year old's tricycle. Get real and get a bigger scooter.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro Red
'86 Honda Gyro S Red
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

skipper20 wrote:
koneill wrote:sometimes it will struggle on a hill that is only a few degrees from level. i'm just using it to putz around my immediate area with an occasional longer ride so not really interested in a more powerful scooter. I may have to look into the variator components.

thaks
At your height and weight, you're totally miscast on a 50cc scooter. To those around you, you probably look like a 16 year old trying to ride a 6 year old's tricycle. Get real and get a bigger scooter.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro Red
'86 Honda Gyro S Red
In retrospect, my comments above were insensitive and inappropriate. If koneill is still on this forum, I'd like to offer an apology. You have every right to enjoy what you've purchased and to learn more about it by asking questions about its performance. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Bill in Seattle
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

This will help in the power department:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Malossi-72cc-B ... Sw-89ZQXIT
You may need to rejet the carb if you install this though.
Attachments
malossi (1).jpg
malossi (1).jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.