I'm back in business!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

I'm back in business!

Post by skipper20 »

At 85 y.o. I thought my scootering days were over. I had owned and enjoyed over the years (but not at the same time) a Buddy 125, Blackjack 150, 2 Buddy 170is, Hooligan 170i and sandwiched in-between, a Roughhouse 50 Sport. Sold the last one a year ago and retired to the sidelines with the moniker "Member Emeritus".
I missed scootering badly. So, after a lot of soul searching and online research, I jumped back in and bought myself a 1984 Honda Gyro NN50 scooter. See http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Gyro/Gyro.html for a picture and details. I have the red version. Sadly, not a Genuine product but it's what I needed - 3 wheels and a body that leans in the turns. Genuine never made anything like it. Piaggio did with 2 wheels up front but way too big for me. Most importantly, is the Gyro's 50cc engine and top speed of 30 mph which keeps me confined to the streets and back roads of my part of town. I have a route on a back road to my local coffee shop and supermarket away from the busy streets and speeding cars and trucks.
It's nice to be back.

Bill in Seattle
1984 Honda Gyro NN50 :)
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

The little back roads to our favorite places are fun and relaxing and enjoyable. Your situation is a good reminder that there are many levels of scootering. Welcome back. Who wants to take a car when a fun scooter is available.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle. Have fun.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Wow, that is a cool, niche machine! Where did you find it, how long did it take, and how is parts availability?
Syd

Post by Syd »

The Gyro and the Urban Express are the scooters I'd want - if my legs were a foot shorter!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Bill,
You made a good choice.. Here is a photos of my Gyros.. the blue one needs an original front basket to be complete. The red one with no basket runs fine, but is my parts scooter.. please let me know if you need any parts for yours..
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I hope I am still scooting when I'm 85, skipper20. Keep on truckin!
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
skully93

Post by skully93 »

awesome! have fun!
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

tenders wrote:Wow, that is a cool, niche machine! Where did you find it, how long did it take, and how is parts availability?
I found it on Seattle Craig's List. The price was on the high side but it had been on CL for a month or more so the seller was in a mood to sell. We reached a mutually agreeable price which included delivery to my house about 35 miles south of his. I didn't have the ability to transport a 3 wheeler. I am now converting my utility trailer to do so. The scooter is in very nice, above average condition, both mechanically and cosmetically. Starts on the first push of the start button (no kick start), warms up fast and runs near perfect. It's a pleasure to ride. I especially like the parking brake feature. When I go to park and I'm completely stopped and upright, I move a large lever on the steering column down to the "Park" position. This locks the scooter fully upright so there's no center stand or side stand to contend with. Just hop off like Bob's your uncle. So far I haven't needed any parts and yes, some of them are hard to come by but there is some commonality with the Honda Spree and other Honda 50cc 2T scooters of the 80s. It has the original tires and at 35 years of age, they're badly weather cracked. I have replacements ordered. Like I said, it's a pleasure to ride and for my age, most likely the perfect motor scooter. I'm happy that I was able to find it.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda NN50 Gyro, red
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Way to go Skipper......keep us posted.

fried okra
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Skipper, you rock! You're perseverance is a true inspiration.