OK to change oil filter at separate time from oil change?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

phenomenalworld

OK to change oil filter at separate time from oil change?

Post by phenomenalworld »

I'm new to my used 2012 Buddy 125. But I put 1000 miles on it pretty quick and, long story short, felt I had to change the oil right away at some point this week. So I did - yesterday, without a hitch. The bike only now has 2200 miles on it, but since I don't know the bike's history, and the the oil filter itself is very likely 6 years old, I figure it'd be good to change the filter too. But I didn't have access to a new one when I changed the oil. I ordered one online and it will arrive in two days. My question, which is born of ignorance of the exact nature of the relationship between the oil and the oil filter, is this: Is it OK and perfectly fine to change the filter 3-5 days after changing the oil. Will any thing/benefits be lost? Also, does anyone agree or disagree with my notion that I should change the oil filter since it is 6 years old, even though only 2200 miles on the bike? Thanks much!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

The only down side is cleaning up twice.

Knock yourself out. Oil filters are pretty cheap, so if it makes you sleep better, it's a good thing. It's probably a good thing anyways. 6 years and only 2200 miles? Poor thing was unloved.

You'll have to add some oil to make up for the loss left in the filter... well, that's something for every time you change the filter.

Oh, and welcome to Modern Buddy.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Personally I would just change the oil and the filter. You take the filter off without draining you have a nice mess.

If you don't think it had been changed for so long it's not gonna hurt to drain what's in there after is been run for a bit and get as much crud out of the system as possible.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Welcome to Modern Buddy!

Do be a little careful to torque that oil filter down snug. We've had some engines lost when those back themselves out and dump the engine oil. According to this thread from our tech library, the proper torque is 8 nm (5.9 ft-lbs in old money).
jd

Post by jd »

Definitely not worth it to create the mess to save, maybe, a quart of relatively inexpensive motor oil.

Just drain it, change the filter, add oil back in, and you're ready to go.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Some change the filter every other oil change. Some change the filter every oil change. Do what you're comfortable with.
phenomenalworld

yes jetta knight, the scooter was unloved, but i’m certainly making up for lost time with it now - loving this machine. and thanks for the warm welcome.

jrsjr, thanks for the warning. will duly keep it in mind.

i think i’m gonna mix al of your inputs together, balance the logics, and conclude that i’ll wait maybe another 500 miles, and then change both the oil and the filter together, thereby getting some run for my money/work on the new oil, and seems no-one is too concerned about a 6 year old filter, s’long as the mileage doesn’t exceed its expiration date (of 4000 miles).

so glad to know this forum exists. thanks a bunch.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I would change the filter as soon as possible. My concern would be that the filter is the original filter. Often when people don't ride their scooters that much they don't do the maintenance they should do. I would also be curious if they ever did the break-in service.

Also, you should be changing the oil at least every 2,000 miles, I like to do it every 1,500. You should change the filter at least every other oil change, so at least every 4,000. But those numbers are for a full broken in scooter.

When in doubt change them. Whenever I buy a used scooter the first thing I do is change the oil and filter so I know they're good.
phenomenalworld

Erik, I appreciate your point about equating a lack of riding the scooter with a lack of maintenance. Although I wish you didn't have such a good point as I'm now going to have to oblige the wisdom and get my hands dirty again. Moreover, I think I got away pretty easy using a regular ol' 17mm wrench on the oil-drain bolt (after lots of research initially shopping for 17mm ratchet wrench socket 'cuz that's what everybody online was saying is needed but which is not at all necessary). BUT the oil filter, unless I am wrong, (and considering jrsjr's talk of proper torque and the specs therein) is a more complicated affair - what is the easiest cheapest tool I need buy to change the oil filter? In case it's not obvious, I'm not automotive-tool-savvy, tho' I am learning quick because I had to remove all the outer plastics recently to custom paint this bad boy. I bought a 1/4" basic ratchet wrench set for that work, but I think I need something else for the filter??....
Thanks.
jd

Post by jd »

Some of the filters take a special Piaggio tool to get them off. Don’t bother. Just jam a sharp screwdriver into the side of it (a hammer helps) and use it as a lever to unscrew to the thing off. Put a pan underneath it to catch the oil drips.

Of course, this is a bad idea if you plan to use the oil filter again, but that would be an even WORSE idea. 😊
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
phenomenalworld

jd, this sharp screwdriver stab-and-separate technique sounds good for removing the filter, but i'm not sure it addresses it any way the issue of putting the new filter on and getting it squeezed up with the right torque.
jd

Post by jd »

VERY hand tight has always worked for me. Never had a problem with leakage.
phenomenalworld

Piece of cake! Bought $4.99 ratchet wrench at auto zone, and a 17 mm attachment for the hiflofiltro hf197 oil filter. Took 10 minutes to swap out the old and in with the new. I will keep an eye on any leak, but so far seems good. Will take it for a spin later today. Thanks for all your help, jd and others!
jd

Post by jd »

You're ready to go, Phenom. That's the most difficult thing you need to do to keep your Buddy running, and you've got it down to a simple procedure. Just put regular, 87 octane gasoline into it (don't even get into any conversations about using high octane fuel), and put 15W-40 oil into the crankcase. I like the Shell Rotella 15W-40 because it's solid stuff and is relatively economical if you get it by the 5 qt. bottle at Walmart.

The Hi-Flo filters are just fine. If you accidentally get stuck with one of the Piaggio ones, it will work OK but you'll curse at it when you need to get it off because of the funky end. Just use the "stab and twist" method to get it off and you're good.
phenomenalworld

jd, yep I'm feeling good about my relatively quick education and application on getting "the most difficult thing you need to do to keep your Buddy running" down pat. And to think I almost shelled out $65 to have it done by a mechanic. Wouldn't have learned a thing. Speaking of "shelled", I shelled out $6 for a quart of the Shell Rotella same as you recommend, is what I used (are you saying the same can be used for the crankcase?).

Not to trip into a high octane discussion, must say your advice of "regular, 87 octane gasoline" hits with some force, as all I know is what the previous owner told me (to use 89), and it's exciting to think I could be saving several a few dimes with the 87. I'll take your word as near gospel and back it up....with the quick googling I JUST did which verifies it's a hot if not heated topic, and what I took from a quick scan of threads is just what you say. More reason to celebrate!