need to turn off hazard lights/4 ways

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MikaBika

need to turn off hazard lights/4 ways

Post by MikaBika »

Hi Everyone,

I am new to scooters. Bought my first one few months ago. It is a used Buddy 50 2015. When I got it, I thought I would just take it to a bike place and have them fix whatever needed to be fixed, and I would be on my way.

Wrong. No bike place or even lawn mower place wants to touch a Genuine. Nearest dealer too many miles away.

I have been get getting help here and there, from friends. Will spare details. Finally got this rideable. I am all happy thinking I can finally get on this thing and learn how to ride it.

I turn the key this morning and my 4-ways, or hazard lights, turn on. The light switch seems to click around and the white button pops. But I cannot figure out how to turn off the 4 blinking lights. Mind you I did not even know I had hazard lights on this. I checked the manual. No mention.

The previous owner added blinker lights to the handle bars. The lower blinker lights in front of the bike do not work. A guy looked at the wiring and said whoever added the handle bar lights wired so it was either/or, the handle bar or the front blinkers.

Not sure if the additional lights gave this thing hazard/ 4 way capability or if the Buddy 50 always had it.

The 'wire guy' is very difficult to get in touch with. (That would be too easy.)

I am still learning how to handle and drive this. I am no condition to drive it 30 miles with constant blinking 4 ways to the nearest Genuine dealer. And no one I know has a trailer or the means to take it there for me. (Again, that would be to easy. Would have done it when I first got this).

Is there a trick to turning these off that is not in the manual?

Any ideas what I look for or do to fix this?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Mika
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

There's a switch on the right side of the handlebar
MikaBika

Post by MikaBika »

Awesome Pawsome!

THANK YOU!

Love those easy fixes!

There is a picture on page 16 of the manual, but the numbers are not described in the text. Totally did not "see" it. And me and mine were more like "what now with this thing" earlier, not thinking to look for another switch.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Mika
jd

Post by jd »

You don't tell us where you're located, but if it's in the United States, then the lower turn signals never worked, and the units on the handlebars are OEM equipment. The lower lights do not meet Federal standards due to their position, hence the need to add the handlebar-mounted ones before the Buddy could be sold in the United States.

There are many posts in Modern Buddy that discuss reconnecting the lower lights to work in concert with either the turn signals or the headlight. If you remove the front panel (which is very easy to do), you'll see that the bulbs, sockets and wiring are still there, but end at pigtails.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
MikaBika

Post by MikaBika »

Good information re the lights on here. Thank you!

Got my Picture and Location in :-)

Mika
Syd

Post by Syd »

Phoenix Metro, or one of the nicer places? :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

The hazard switch, and all the others, are common for most every motorcycle. So, I think you better:

1. Read Proficient Motorcycling - your local library should have a copy.
2. Sign up for your local Motorcycle Safety Course and get your motorcycle endorsement.

Don't let the fact that your scooter is 50cc make you think you're safer than the guy on the 1000cc race bike - you're both on the same road.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

JettaKnight wrote:The hazard switch, and all the others, are common for most every motorcycle. So, I think you better:

1. Read Proficient Motorcycling - your local library should have a copy.
2. Sign up for your local Motorcycle Safety Course and get your motorcycle endorsement.

Don't let the fact that your scooter is 50cc make you think you're safer than the guy on the 1000cc race bike - you're both on the same road.
The Buddy is the only scooter/motorcycle I've seen with hazards so far. Some older Kymcos have a headlight switch on the right control, but it's disabled in the US where your headlight has to be on at all times.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

dasscooter wrote: The Buddy is the only scooter/motorcycle I've seen with hazards so far.
Really?!

Huh, after looking around, it's kind of a mixed bag on what bikes have them.