Buddy 150 Kickstart spindle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dromedary

Buddy 150 Kickstart spindle

Post by dromedary »

I went for a while with a dead battery and used the kickstarter to start. Eventually I stripped the 'gear' on the spindle/bolt the nut screws on to secure the variator assembly.

Is it possible to JUST replace that spindle somehow or do I have to get back into the whole starter?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I beleve the part you are referring to is #26 in this diagram:

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddy125transmission

Its's referred to as " Rachet Kick Starter".
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
dromedary

Post by dromedary »

Thanks for the response. I thought it would be #26 too but the teeth on it are in good shape..might be considered 'female'(?). The bolt (male?) it sits on 'under' the nut and washer is 'geared' at the end like a sprocket(?) to mesh with the teeth of 26. It's THOSE teeth that are stripped. They're the ones at the end of the bolt. So it's the bolt itself (unfortunately) that needs to be replaced. Does that make sense?

It's not a huge deal. I just won't have a kickstart. But I'm doing some work on it so I figured I'd replace it if it's not too invasive.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

dromedary wrote:Thanks for the response. I thought it would be #26 too but the teeth on it are in good shape..might be considered 'female'(?). The bolt (male?) it sits on 'under' the nut and washer is 'geared' at the end like a sprocket(?) to mesh with the teeth of 26. It's THOSE teeth that are stripped. They're the ones at the end of the bolt. So it's the bolt itself (unfortunately) that needs to be replaced. Does that make sense?
Reading your description, it sounds like the splines on the crankshaft may be stripped. That is no bueno. If you take the nut, washer, ratchet and variator off, you'll see that the "bolt" is actually part of the crankshaft. I'm attaching an image for reference. Usually, the crankshaft material is stouter than that or the parts bolted to it. You'd want the cheaper, easier-to-replace bits to fail before the expensive, harder to replace bit to fail.

In your case, it might be worth removing all the parts affixed to the the spline and trying to clean the teeth of the spline out with a wire brush or small pick tool. If you're lucky, its not stripped and the matierial packed in it is from another, cheaper part.
Attachments
GY6 crankshaft.
GY6 crankshaft.
high-performance-stroker-crankshaft-150cc-gy6-engines-ncy_1.jpg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 692 times
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...