Hooligan Exhaust Upgrade Recommendation

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BigShark

Hooligan Exhaust Upgrade Recommendation

Post by BigShark »

I have a 2016 Hooligan, and looking for an upgraded exhaust. I'm sure it will not give a 10% power boost or anything, so I am madly looking for a great sound and great looks. If it increased power, even better.

What exhaust would you recommend?
I have seen NCY and Prima. Anyone have experience with these?
Does the bike need a remapping after the exhaust is added to get the greatest benefit?
Is there also an intake upgrade that anyone would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Aftermarket exhausts for 4-stroke scooters seldom add appreciable power; just a bit more noise and maybe a bit less restriction. Scooterworks and NCY are both offering the same pipe, so not much of a choice there.

Intake can be addressed with a drop-in Simota filter. They're like K&N, only with blue oil. I may have one someplace, but you can find one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-High-Flo ... Ew&vxp=mtr

You probably wouldn't need a remap.

I've wondered if an A8 cam would give a mild power bump. Bought one to try in a fellow scooterist's Hooligan, but he has retired from riding and sold the scoot. The A8 was a very minor profile upgrade from stock so I think the EFI would have tolerated it.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

An aftermarket pipe will usually make your scoot feel more responsive if rejetted (but the Hooligan and Buddy 170 are EFI).
-I live near the salt water and my prima pipe shows no corrosion. My wife's Buddy has the stock exhaust and its looking pretty rusty.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI