170i Vibration

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

170i Vibration

Post by GregsBuddy »

Hello.
I've recently noticed that my 2015 170i with 10,500 miles has a significant vibration at idle. The handlebars and seat vibrate at engine speed and it's hurting my hands. When I pick up speed from idle and ride away the vibration is far less noticeable.
At 9,000 miles I replaced the belt/rollers/guides. Since the vibration is at engine speed, I wonder if the pulley might be loosening.
Anyone else had this issue?
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Does it vibrate when you're stopped at a light? Does it diminish when you apply the rear brake?
Last edited by DeeDee on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Any odd sound coming from the CVT cover? Any other rattles? Something's off balance, and I'd plan on opening up the cvt for inspection sooner rather than later, before something lets go.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Thanks for the posts.
It's not the normal vibration that is effected by holding the rear brake and having it increase.
No noise involved with the vibration.
I'm going to remove the drive belt cover when I get a chance and look for any issues with the front pulley.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

If all else checks out, check all the mounting hardware for the forks and steering stem.

If the bars and stem hardware is all secure, check the engine hanger mount hardware and bump stops for loose or damaged bits.

If that's all good, consider investing in a decent set of bar end weights. They can quash a lot of undesirable NVH. Look for something in the 100-200gr range.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

When was the last time you adjusted your valves? When mine need adjusting, my scooter vibrates more than normal at idle. But the vibration has never been so bad it hurt. That's weird.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

K1dude;
I adjusted them about 1,500 miles ago so I don't think that's the issue.
However, I'll keep your finding on file for posterior.