Heated Hand Grips - Buddy 17i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thatguy802

Heated Hand Grips - Buddy 17i

Post by thatguy802 »

Hi All,

First time poster here. So... has anyone put some heated grips on their Buddy 170i? Anything that you could recommend? Hard to install?

Thanks in advance!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I tried the regular Oxford heated grips and the stator did not provide enough juice to power them, even though Oxfords website confirmed they would work. There are also low consumption Oxford heated grips for scooter/moped applications but I have never tried them. I have Suzuki branded Oxfords on my Burgman 200 and they work pretty good on high, my wife's old Spyder had factory heated grips and they would melt your hands on high! There are several brands out there with different price points, so someone else may know of a brand that works. I had a Zuma 125 and installed regular Oxfords and when I stopped at a red light, the Zuma stalled!? When I went to restart it the starter would not bump over. The draw from the grips was to much in stop and go traffic and the grips ran my battery so low it would not re-start without a jump! I cut the left one off and gave the throttle side and controls to a friend for parts. And I DO NOT recommend Renthal grip glue for heated grips, the left one will spin on you! I used heavy duty rubber bond by 3M. Oh, and not hard to install, just read the directions twice before installing. Cable routing is very important.
Clydeo

Heated gloves

Post by Clydeo »

Instead of using heated gloves I use those little chemical glove warmers. I put a heating pad in each glove and my hands stay pretty warm for about 6-7 hours. Hippo Hands work well, too.
thatguy802

thanks!

Post by thatguy802 »

Thanks folks.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Heated gloves

Post by jrsjr »

Clydeo wrote:Instead of using heated gloves I use those little chemical glove warmers. I put a heating pad in each glove and my hands stay pretty warm for about 6-7 hours. Hippo Hands work well, too.
Me, too. I've been doing that for years. I bought a cheap pair of cotton gloves at a gas station and I put those on first, then the heater pack, then the leather gloves. It works great and keeps the heat source from direct contact with your skin so you don't feel like you are burning.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I don't know if the stator on the 170i is the same as what was on the 150, but I can't run my heated gloves (Gerbings) for an extended length of time. A short ride was OK when followed up with a Battery Tender session, but a long ride, even at sustained speed would slowly drain the battery down.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I tried Widdier wired heated gloves with the 125 Buddy and the stator barely powered them. The new lith-ion heated gloves look tempting, but the reviews are across the board from customers and Im not willing to take a $150+ gamble just so I can ride my Zuma 2 stroke in the cold. As has been discussed before, cold hands are the worst! I also tried bar muffs but when I went fast they would blow inward and partially pull in the brakes!