Low idle and dies after carb cleaning

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Joejitsumd

Low idle and dies after carb cleaning

Post by Joejitsumd »

My wife’s 125 sat for a few months without being started. I want d to bring it back to life so I removed the carb and cleaned the jets. I put it all back together and put in new gas (it had a small amount of old gas still in the tank). Now, it starts but upon starting seems to have a high engine rev, then after 5 or so seconds it idles down very low and will die if I don’t use the throttle. I looked at the idle adjustment screw and even with it all the way in it doesn’t affect the idle. Does it sound like the problem is in how I hooked back the throttle cable or did I do something wrong messing with the carb? I hate to take it in but will if I can’t figure it out.

Joe
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

HI Joe, did you remove the diaphragm / vacuum slide when you cleaned the carb?
You should go to the extra trouble of completely draining the tank and replacing the fuel filter. Doesn't make sense to pump crap back into a clean carb.
Your problem could be an improperly seated diaphragm. It may look 100% correct, but still not be sealing completely.
Joejitsumd

Post by Joejitsumd »

I don’t think so. I know very little about this stuff but basically I detached and removed the carb, flipped it over and removed the bottom cover, removed the float and unscrewed the jets. I cleaned the jets and made sure all the holes were clear. I put everything back together and reattached. Now it idles low to off unless I use throttle.
Joejitsumd

Post by Joejitsumd »

I open the car back up and I noticed when I was putting it back together that the rubber gasket between the cover and the rest of the car was all stretched out and did not align with the tract. In fact I could not even get it to someone online. I’m guessing this may be the culprit? Can we buy those gaskets somewhere without having to take it in for someone else to do it?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Scooter Lounge carries parts. That piston/diaplragm assembly is part #3 on the diagram linked below.

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddy125carburetor

I would also drop ~$1.00 at your neighborhood music shop for a high E guitar string. You may need to clean the idle jet passages again.

Turn the mixture screw all the way in until it seats, counting the turns. Remove it fully, being careful to get the spring, tiny washer and tiny O-ring out. Remove the pilot jet and check all drillings in it with the guitar string.

Take the carburetor bosy and run the string down the idle jet orifice, it's the small single hole in carb venturi, on the end that plugs into the intake manifold.

Open the throttle slightly and note the grouping of three holes on the bottom of the venturi where the throttle plate rests when closed. You'll want to run the guitar string through these as well. It helps to use something to hold the throttle cam open while cleaning them.

Once all three openings are cleaned, use carb cleaner through the mixture screw housing and pilot jet housing to ensure that fluid emits from the idle and pilot orifices.

Reassemble your carb. When you reinstall the mixture screw, don't forget the spring, washer or O-ring.Turn the screw in intil it seats, then back it out by the number of turns you counted earlier.
Last edited by az_slynch on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

The gasket needs to be whole and in the tract. Also, if you changed the float height in anyway that may affect the idling.