I have a Problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

I have a Problem

Post by EvilNerdLord »

After 6-7 years of constant pain from a fractured knee that didn't heal right (put the foot 14 degree out) I finally had my knee replacement and other than a 3 degree bend at the mid calf from a break (by a DUI back in '92)
everything is straight and even an actually pain free... :shock:
but...
Considering all this hell was from riding and I haven't ridden the scoot now in over 2 months prepping for this surgery I'm having doubts as to whether I want to ride any more (my Stella as a 2012 has just under 3k miles on it)

I really don't want to 'give it up' but the haunt of going through all this hell again if... :cry:

I know, I worry and over think to much... :roll:

any one been there, thought this too?
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Very understandable. Putting aside personal reservations for a moment, I think that I'd consult my doctor/surgeon regarding whether or not the knee replacement puts you at greater risk for a more serious injury in a situation that would not be as damaging to someone who had not had that surgery. Disregarding a full-blown contact accident, even something as simple as trying to avoid a tip-over if you're late getting your foot down in a sudden stop could have greater consequences. And even if the docs give you a green light, if you think you'll be riding permanently puckered-up from now on, I'd have to say it's probably time to hang it up.

For now, just take your time. Nobody's pressuring you to ride, and nobody can make a better decision than you. Unless, of course, you're married with children and everyone knows more than you do.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Id suggest filling the tank up with gas and stabil, tuck the scooter in a corner with a cover and a battery tender on it , and let it rest a while and just concentrate on the surgery and the rehab. In time you will know your capabilities and your desires, and after that, make your decision . Your scooter isn't going to lose a lot of resale value in a year if you decide to part with it then, but if you sell it now, and a year from now you regret it, it'll cost you more to replace it . Good luck on your recovery, I hope it goes well for you.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

That's a hard call. I've had a few scraps but nothing major. The worst being some road rash and a separated rib and shoulder injury that took a few months to heal. I've contemplated giving up the scoots and just going to a different hobby. I've been nearly there a few times. If I were you I wouldn't want to re injure myself either. My personal choice was to adjust my riding habits to try to be a bit safer. I'd take a few steps to reduce risk.

1)I ride with others. I like to ride with other riders because it makes me more visible. I don't like to ride with people who are careless though.

2) Increase your visibility. A neon vest, bright colored helmets are awesome, fog lights, underglow lights, reflective tape(you can get it in black)

3) Ride off peak. I don't ride during commuting hours, too busy, too many distracted or angry drivers.

4)Sell the stella. I owned a stella and I loved it for its style and the vintage look was universally respected by almost everyone. A buddy is just another "chinese scooter" to the average joe. But....the riding part. this weekend I switched bikes mid ride at a rally. I got off my z125 and hopped on a bone stock 2010 stella. The memories all came back. The right leaning balance, the upright steering angle, and the worst is the left pull under braking and modulating the brake pedal with ankle that doesn't like to "ankle". I felt after not riding for a couple of years that it wasnt the safest thing to do. All those things can be compensated for but a buddy is just a bit better in the braking department and the handling more predictable. I think it gives an extra margin of safety.

If I were you I would have a hard time giving up riding because it makes me feel good. Its a social hobby that gets me out of the house and into different circles.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
EricV

Post by EricV »

I'll give a different perspective. On the way to work one morning, just after turning onto a 4 lane busy road on my commute, I ended up stuck behind a slow pickup. I did a head check to see if the next lane was clear...

When I turned my head forward again, the pick up was nearly stopped in front of me. I was going 35 mph. I managed to lean far enough over to miss the truck. A rider behind me said my wheels were *under* the bumper of the truck as I went by it. I was unable to recover, leaning hard right into a left hand corner, and despite my best effort, went wide and hit the curb, tossing me off the bike.

Unfortunately, there was a steel light pole in my path. My left leg hit the pole and that snapped both Tib/Fib bones in my leg. Short story, they put a rod down the tibia for a few years and I healed pretty much ok, with a slight out of rotation foot from the surgeon not quite getting the bones back strait.

I rode to my second doctor appointment after being put in a walking cast. After buying a new bike, since the other one was totaled.

Thing happen on the street. We all have to manage our risks. There are many ways we do this. From when and how we ride, to the gear we wear and what types of roads we ride.

For about a year after the accident I really felt uncomfortable in high traffic situations. What made the most difference for me in regaining my confidence was taking a rider training course. It wasn't so much about riding as it was about getting a refresher in good habits and looking for hazards.

The other thing I did was to stop commuting on the bike. Commute times are the highest traffic times with the most zoned out drivers that are mostly taking the exact same route every day and are paying the least amount of attention, doing the most negative multitasking while driving and putting the least amount of thought into their driving.

If you love riding the scooter, don't give it up because of the risks, but instead choose ways to manage those risks.

I have about 500k miles of riding. Mostly motorcycles, but scooters too. I rode a Sym 150 all around Egypt, including major cities like Alexandria and Cairo. Intense doesn't begin to describe those cities!

I personally believe that conspicuity is a myth. Being seen doesn't mean people won't still do dumb things that threaten your safety. I've seen a driver pull right out in front of a fire truck. They screamed "I didn't see you" over and over when they got out of the car. 30 ton, bright red, strobes, headlights, siren and horn all going, they still "didn't see" the fire truck. :shock:

What chance would I have on a scooter of that driver seeing me? I'd say zero. Therefor, it's up to me to see THEM. Only I am responsible for my safety. I can't trust anyone else with that responsibility.

I have had people look right at me, make eye contact, then change lanes into me. We are not a threat to people in cars. Their subconscious mind often ignores us before their conscious mind can acknowledge our presence. No amount of lights or bright colors will change this. Some drivers, the most dangerous ones, will never see you.

Go take a MSF Basic Rider course. If you ask up front, they will probably let you use your scooter. It's about $100 and usually done Fri eveing, Sat and Sun. You may be surprised at the bad habits you have picked up over the years and the new concepts and ideas you learn. Regardless of how you feel at the end of the course, nearly all riders will be riding smarter and better afterwards. They offer other courses as well. Returning rider, Intermediate rider and some places offer Advanced rider courses too. Pick what you feel meets your needs.

Then see how you feel. If you still feel uncomfortable riding the scooter, then you can make that decision knowing you are making it because it's right for you, not because of any lingering fears. "what if" should not rule your decisions. Life is hazardous. But we pretty much manage to get through it anyway. :D
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

As I put distance from the surgery and both pain and physical condition gets closer to 'normal' I am finding that maybe I will keep riding. I just cant push back into it before I feel ready.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

EvilNerdLord wrote:As I put distance from the surgery and both pain and physical condition gets closer to 'normal' I am finding that maybe I will keep riding. I just cant push back into it before I feel ready.
Good for you. When you feel ready, go for it. But think seriously about getting rid of that Stella with its manual transmission. I had a brief fling with a vintage Vespa P200E several years ago and found that shifting manually was distracting. You need to be able to fully concentrate on the road and what's happening ahead and around you and not have to think about should I up shift or downshift. Get a Buddy or a Hooligan and let the CVT do the thinking.

Bill in Seattle who just turned 84 and is still riding
'12 Buddy 170i Oxford Green
'14 Hooligan 170i Matte Green
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Even though I've laid a bike down at least two dozen times in the 40+ years I've been riding, none have resulted in serious injury to myself. Though I must admit, most of those crashes occurred while riding off-road and motocross, only a couple involved asphalt. A few involved trees moving in front of me and things like that. Lol. Anyway, even though I never broke anything, some of the scrapes and bruises made walking difficult for a while, but as soon as I was able, I went right back to riding because it's something that gets into your blood like an addiction. Some of those crashes are still haunting me now, in the form of bad knees. There are days when I have trouble getting up and down stairs or walking without a limp, but I keep riding. I think I will until I'm six feet under...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

skipper20 wrote:
EvilNerdLord wrote:As I put distance from the surgery and both pain and physical condition gets closer to 'normal' I am finding that maybe I will keep riding. I just cant push back into it before I feel ready.
Good for you. When you feel ready, go for it. But think seriously about getting rid of that Stella with its manual transmission. I had a brief fling with a vintage Vespa P200E several years ago and found that shifting manually was distracting. You need to be able to fully concentrate on the road and what's happening ahead and around you and not have to think about should I up shift or downshift. Get a Buddy or a Hooligan and let the CVT do the thinking.

Bill in Seattle who just turned 84 and is still riding
'12 Buddy 170i Oxford Green
'14 Hooligan 170i Matte Green
thought about that too
but there is SOMETHING about the manual shift I can't seem to want to give up. Once I got the 'hang of it' it feels odd NOT clutch and twisting.

I think I will give it an auto a second look.
psymple

Post by psymple »

I broke my neck, became a quadriplegic, fought my ass off to walk again and now, the only bit of 'man' fun I get to have is riding my 2 buddys. With my injury I couldn't handle a 'real' bike and I absolutely love the scooters!! In fact, glad I can't handle a bigger bike to avoid bigger troubles... take it for a ride...enjoy the journey!!