[NSR] Kymco Spade

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

az_slynch

[NSR] Kymco Spade

Post by az_slynch »

Dropped the gauntlet again today.

Took the Majesty by the local shop to replace the exhaust gaskets; was tired of listening to a popping muffler evey time I decelerated to a stop. Problem solved.

While I was there, I put a deposit on one of the first three Kymco Spades, due to arrive by month's end. Picked the rootbeer colored one. Next step is to order an uprated set of fork springs and a custom exhaust for it, the stocker is all sorts of fugly.

Being a 150cc, I wouldn't Loop it...Class III goes to 200cc and it wouldn't have a prayer against some of the modern LC machines like the Baby Burgman. No, this machine will be a fun little runabout and I'll stick to the K-Pipe for absurd things like endurance rides.

I'll post pics once it comes in.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congratulations! That bike looks like it will be a hoot to ride. Can't wait to hear your report.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Im curious to! They look pretty good from the pictures. Congrats!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Looks like a fun little bike. Can't wait for your report on it. Just to make it easier for some, I've posted some pictures of it, stock and modified. So how many bikes is it now, 12, 15...? Lol.
I actually like the 2018 Like. If I could afford it, I'd even consider the Xciting 400i.
Attachments
kymco-spade-mnnthbx-custom-3.jpg
kymco-spade-mnnthbx-custom-3.jpg (114.48 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Kymco Spade with custom parts from MNNTHBX
Kymco Spade with custom parts from MNNTHBX
kymco-spade-mnnthbx-custom-1.jpg (114.55 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Stock Kymco Spade
Stock Kymco Spade
kymco-spade-150-stock.jpg (128 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

babblefish wrote:So how many bikes is it now, 12, 15...? Lol.
Um, I'll have to count and get back to you on that. Seriously. I think I have seven mopeds, five motorcycles and at least eighteen scooters. Working on getting them all operational. It'd go quicker if I'd focus on fixing only my bikes.
babblefish wrote:I actually like the 2018 Like. If I could afford it, I'd even consider the Xciting 400i.
The Xciting looks pretty cool, but I'm pretty ambivalent on maxi scoots. I was hoping for the Downtown 350i, but it looks like we're getting the XTown 300i instead. Wasn't as interested in the XTown; the engine is the same low-power liquid-cooled 276cc 2V EFI mill they've had in the G-Dink/Yager 300i (that we never got here) for the last few years. Yamaha's new XMAX 300 looks far more interesting to me.

I've been needing (hah!) a stouter scoot for long distance touring with friends and running the Yager at WOT all day isn't healthy for it. I bought an '08 Majesty off of a friend who needed more money and fewer scooters (madness!). Been fixing all the mechanicals so it's up to snuff. Rides well now and recently made a 250-mile day trip with no issues. Doing a longer ride (~1800 miles) up to Utah and Colorado over Labor Day weekend. I have no doubt it will do well on the ride; just wondering if I'll bond with it enough to do the cosmetic work on it afterwards and go the distance with it.
Last edited by az_slynch on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Saw my Spade in the sheetmetal. It's a wee bugger! See attached image with it parked next to a new Buddy.

Already planning to replace the taillight, the blinkers and the mirrors...they're kinda cheesy. My aftermarket exhaust and uprated fork springs should arrive in about two weeks; according to the reply mail I received from MNNTHBX, I've apparently placed the first order for their custom Spade parts. Already looking at their catalog for the next bolt-ons and considering sending the wheels in for powdercoating in a more vibrant color.

Looking forward to plating it and getting a ride report in, but that will have to wait a bit. Doing that long ride over the Labor Day holiday and working on a clubmate's Xciting 250 (non-EFI) when I get back.
Attachments
Spade, as compared to a Buddy.
Spade, as compared to a Buddy.
IMG_27082017_183315.jpg (137.57 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I followed greg from mnnthbx down the tail of the dragon on my buddy at smokey mtn crawl 2016. Had a blast. They are spectacularly nice guys.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

So, is the new Kymco closer to the size of a Grom than to the size of the Sym Wolf? - And the answer would appear to be yes (primarily due to the small 12" wheels).
Attachments
th27HFKE1Y.jpg
th27HFKE1Y.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Last edited by Dooglas on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I don't need any more bikes, but I've been strongly considering this one.

Groms are awesome, but this is more my style and has a few more horses/5th gear.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

az_slynch wrote:
babblefish wrote:So how many bikes is it now, 12, 15...? Lol.
Um, I'll have to count and get back to you on that. Seriously. I think I have seven mopeds, five motorcycles and at least eighteen scooters. Working on getting them all operational. It'd go quicker if I'd focus on fixing only my bikes.
babblefish wrote:I actually like the 2018 Like. If I could afford it, I'd even consider the Xciting 400i.
The Xciting looks pretty cool, but I'm pretty ambivalent on maxi scoots. I was hoping for the Downtown 350i, but it looks like we're getting the XTown 300i instead. Wasn't as interested in the XTown; the engine is the same low-power liquid-cooled 276cc 2V EFI mill they've had in the G-Dink/Yager 300i (that we never got here) for the last few years. Yamaha's new XMAX 300 looks far more interesting to me.

I've been needing (hah!) a stouter scoot for long distance touring with friends and running the Yager at WOT all day isn't healthy for it. I bought an '09 Majesty off of a friend who needed more money and fewer scooters (madness!). Been fixing all the mechanicals so it's up to snuff. Rides well now and recently made a 250-mile day trip with no issues. Doing a longer ride (~1800 miles) up to Utah and Colorado over Labor Day weekend. I have no doubt it will do well on the ride; just wondering if I'll bond with it enough to do the cosmetic work on it afterwards and go the distance with it.
Is there a surplus Kymco Yager 200i in that inventory by any chance?

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Buddy Oxford Green
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

That brown color is sharp! I to like the Grom and the ZPro but like the retro look much better. Kymco did good on the design. Waiting to see what you do to it down the road!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Picked up my Spade tonight. Already modded it before riding it; replaced the giant OE turn signals with a set of more proportionately-sized BikeMaster signals. Hey, they're made in Taiwan too, so keeping it to the mother country.

I authorized the PDI on Tuesday and took it for a 1-mile jaunt on the dealer's plate. When it picked it up today, it had 24 miles on it and the mechanics and regulars couldn't stop raving about it and wanted to know when the modding parts would be delivered. Sheesh, good thing I dont mind sharing my toys!

From an mechanical perspective, this bike uses a true clutch and a 1-down, 4-up shift pattern. It's a 150cc, 4-valve fuel-injected, air cooled motor that makes 12+ horsepower. It runs on 12" 5-spoke wheels and has a 220mm dual-piston disc brake up front and a mechanically actuated drum out back for braking. Upshifts are effortless, but downshifts are a bit fiddly and require concerted effort...a different shift lever might address that.

The controls are common to Kymco scooters and mount 10mm mirror stems. The analog tach is actually useful. The digital speedometer is easy to read and has an odometer, trip meter and oil change mileage minder. The signal minder indicators are separated and intuitive, as are the other function lights. The flasher relay is located under the seat, but is loud enough to let the rider know that it's activated. The most obvious missing bit is the gas gauge, which surprises me. Even though the markedly cheaper K-Pipe has a tiny dash, it still had a gas gauge, tach, clock and gear-indicator included (along with the neutral indicator). I guess sacrifices had to be made for EFI and the Spade appears to be a Taiwan Kymco, so the assembly costs were likely higher.

Build quality looks good overall, though some items like the blinkers and taillight look like afterthoughts. The ride is solid and predictable and the seat is remarkablly comfortable.

The Spade shines when putting it though it's paces. The engine feels fantastic in the small frame and is geared tightly enough to provide spirited acceleration. Handling is very nimble and the chassis is very composed despite it's diminutive stature. I had no problem zipping up to 60mph and out-accelerating drivers who felt threatened by the presence of this mini-moto. I'm sure it will get better as the engine loosens up and I would bet that it could touch 70mph with a minor regear.

I'm helping a friend pick up a TMax this weekend, but I may try to keep all miles to the Spade next week if the temps aren't too bad. I may also have to go find a few Groms and Z125s to compare with. With over 12hp on tap and an extra gear, the Spade may be a formidable adversary to a heavily modified Grom!

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

skipper20 wrote:
Is there a surplus Kymco Yager 200i in that inventory by any chance?

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Buddy Oxford Green
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
I believe so. I'll tune it this Fall, you can take it for an extended cruise and see if it's right for you.

Syd

Post by Syd »

You're going to have to up the number of scoots you own before you have a problem!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Syd wrote:You're going to have to up the number of scoots you own before you have a problem!
Amigo, we're way past problem at this point... :wink: