Genuine Venture 50cc De-restrict

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

shanehmarcus

Genuine Venture 50cc De-restrict

Post by shanehmarcus »

Anyone have any idea how to de-restrict the Genuine Venture? I read that all it is is taking the de-restrictor chip on it? Anyone have any idea where it is or what to do?
Yalzin

Re: Genuine Venture 50cc De-restrict

Post by Yalzin »

shanehmarcus wrote:Anyone have any idea how to de-restrict the Genuine Venture? I read that all it is is taking the de-restrictor chip on it? Anyone have any idea where it is or what to do?
If I remember correctly, one of the restrictions is in the carburetor as well. When I worked at a Genuine dealer, we experimented with swapping different carbs (bigger) to see if it would help. I don't recall which one did, but that was one of the things we played with.

I think Genuine was working on that issue as well, so it might have been fixed?
gliendo

Post by gliendo »

waffling between a buddy50 and a venture, because of this. Not expecting unexpected speed (no replacement for displacement), but whatever scoot i end up with, I'd rather have it to its full potential.

If anyone has any insights, please share.

thanks!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

The Buddy 50 will probably be faster/have better acceleration before derestricting it and definitely faster/more power after. Unless price is the only real factor and you really want a 50cc scooter, go with the Buddy or a Roughhouse.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

cummingsjc wrote:The Buddy 50 will probably be faster/have better acceleration before derestricting it and definitely faster/more power after. Unless price is the only real factor and you really want a 50cc scooter, go with the Buddy or a Roughhouse.
A derestricted Roughhouse 50 will get you an honest 40 mph top speed. I would think this would be the same for a derestricted Buddy 50. Most, if not all Genuine dealers derestrict them before delivery.

Bill in Seattle
'12 Buddy 170i Oxford Green
'14 Hooligan 170i Matte Green
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

gliendo wrote:waffling between a buddy50 and a venture, because of this. Not expecting unexpected speed (no replacement for displacement), but whatever scoot i end up with, I'd rather have it to its full potential.
I wouldn't hesitate more than a few seconds on that decision. The Buddy 50 is a better built scooter. Genuine Scooters in the US has built its reputation on the reliability of the Buddy and other products built by PGO in Taiwan. The Venture is a product going in a different direction to reduce costs by sourcing a scooter built in mainland China. If you want a low cost Chinascoot, that is your call. But don't buy one thinking you are getting the reputation of the Buddy as you are not.

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Genuin ... re-50.html
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

gliendo wrote:waffling between a buddy50 and a venture, because of this. Not expecting unexpected speed (no replacement for displacement), but whatever scoot i end up with, I'd rather have it to its full potential.

thanks!
No waffling necessary. The Buddy 50 is miles ahead of the Venture in terms of fit, finish, power, performance, and (in my opinion) style.

I'd highly recommend going up to at least a 125 if you can get the motorcycle endorsement, but that's your call :)
gliendo

Post by gliendo »

Yalzin wrote:

thanks!
No waffling necessary. The Buddy 50 is miles ahead of the Venture in terms of fit, finish, power, performance, and (in my opinion) style.

I'd highly recommend going up to at least a 125 if you can get the motorcycle endorsement, but that's your call :)
Thanks everyone, did more research and yeah seems like a no brainer. i'm intrigued by the bigger wheels, but I think I'll be going Buddy. Just want something of a runaround.

thanks again.