Oil change time vs mileage

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skippy

Oil change time vs mileage

Post by Skippy »

Hi, I bet this has already been covered before, but I'm wondering if I need to change the oil in my Buddy 125 if it's been a year even if I've driven it only 1,000 miles during that time.

My Buddy is 5 years old, but I've got only 1,700 miles on it. May of 2016, I changed the engine and gear oil at 700 miles and have put 1,000 miles on it since then. I ride it only to/from my local public transportation and maybe on weekends around town, hence the low miles.

Also, if I do need to change it, does it matter that the unused oil has been sitting in my garage during that year? Does it degrade in its original container on the shelf? Thanks.

Skip
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I've read that the contaminants oxidize & break down the oil over time so it's good to change it once a year, even if it hasn't been ridden a lot. I can't be certain that's true but just to be sure I change mine once a year. Oops, I reread your post, unused oil should be fine.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

New2Scoots wrote:I've read that the contaminants oxidize & break down the oil over time so it's good to change it once a year, even if it hasn't been ridden a lot.
Completely agree.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Change it every year if you don't get enough miles to make the distance interval. Oil is cheap comparatively.

Old unused oil is fine. Mine is usually several years old because I buy it in bulk when the price is right.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!