Stella (mostly) Across the Country!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Yalzin,
The heat will only get worse as you travel west, and the rest stops will get much farther apart. More hydration and cooling!

Loving the blog,
-Slashy
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

GoSlash27 wrote:Yalzin,
The heat will only get worse as you travel west, and the rest stops will get much farther apart. More hydration and cooling!

Loving the blog,
-Slashy
And more leaving earlier in the day!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Made it to Delta, UT. Slashy, I'm doing 6 and 50. Adventure!

Latest blog post is up, but I'm too lazy to edit the top post here. I'll do it sometime.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

424 miles from Delta, UT to Fallon, NV.

My butt hurts.

...not in a good way.

(no blog post, I'm going to sleep).

The end should be tomorrow!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Trip complete! I made it to my destination in Oakland/Emeryville around 5:30pm local time.

Pictures tomorrow. Blog posts tomorrow. Sleeps now.

That California Valley is a killer. I think I drove through >100*F for over two hours. Thank goodness for the camelpack and friends with tips on hydration (and a lot of rest stops!)

Thank you to everyone that has supported my adventure, with words, donations, and positive thoughts! You guys are the best, and really make me proud to be a member of this community!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Congrats and you got here just in time, our Summer will start soon...I hope. I'm getting tired of riding in 50 degree weather and in the wind and fog...
Anyway, hope you land a good job soon.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

Awesome! Glad you made it OK through that heat. Wish you could have made it a longer trip, but now you are on the west coast it will be much more fun to go on day trips.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Hip...hip...hurrah! Well, done. And thanks for the posts.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

So, Donna is currently in the SF Scooter Centre shop. Apparently she has a blown front shock (which will explain the wobbling at very slow speeds)

How exciting. Wonder when THAT occurred?
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Congratulations!

So now that you've had some time to rest and recuperate, what do you think? Would you do it again, or is once enough for a lifetime?

Best,
-Slashy
Syd

Post by Syd »

babblefish wrote:Congrats and you got here just in time, our Summer will start soon...I hope. I'm getting tired of riding in 50 degree weather and in the wind and fog...
Our summer is (finally!) on the out. I'm getting tired of riding in the 110s.

Well done Yalzin!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

GoSlash27 wrote:Congratulations!

So now that you've had some time to rest and recuperate, what do you think? Would you do it again, or is once enough for a lifetime?

Best,
-Slashy
I was thinking about that as I drove through the 105*F heat in the California Valley.

On Donna, I think it was a once in a lifetime thing. Perhaps on something bigger, but not on a Stella.

That's not to say the trip wasn't worth it, it VERY MUCH was! I'm very glad I did it, and have no regrets whatsoever. I've seen parts of the country I never thought I would, talked with many people I wouldn't have, and connected with quite a few scooter and motorcycle riders across the country!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Syd wrote:
babblefish wrote:Congrats and you got here just in time, our Summer will start soon...I hope. I'm getting tired of riding in 50 degree weather and in the wind and fog...

Well done Yalzin!
I bet! Driving through triple digits was easily the worst part of the trip. Not sure how you guys do it every year!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Yalzin wrote:
Syd wrote:

Well done Yalzin!
I bet! Driving through triple digits was easily the worst part of the trip. Not sure how you guys do it every year!
Until June, our hottest month, it's nice, even into the low 100's, because it's soo dry.

June through mid-September suck. June it can hit 118 (122 is the record). July through September is monsoon. Humidity rises, heat drops a little.

But mid-September through May is why we live here.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

No problem. :wink:
Attachments
heat.jpg
heat.jpg (22.12 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Where did you get the picture of me while I was driving in Nevada?!

(Except there were no cacti to lean against).

Anyway, I've added all of the posts except the last two (Fallon, NV --> Oakland, CA, and the final reflection thingy...which I'm waiting until I get Donna back from the SFSC).
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

ok, there we go. If you are the kind of person that likes to watch a show from start to finish, and not have to wait a week for the next installment like most people do, your prayers have been answered!

8 complete days listed, pictures uploaded, the narrative mostly complete. Just have to wait on the Scooter Shop to get back to me regarding the post-trip inspection.

Thanks for reading everyone. It has certainly been a blast speaking with you all about the trip, taking all of your suggestions into account, and exploring this beautiful country!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Got Donna back today from the shop. New rear tire (as expected), new front shock and the mystery oil leak solved.

Read all about it :)

http://stellartravels.bryanhoey.com/201 ... ntry-trip/