(NBR) Vin verification question for CO "low power scoot

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mhardgrove

(NBR) Vin verification question for CO "low power scoot

Post by mhardgrove »

Sorry for the non buddy related questions, I am simply trying to learn the best way to go about purchasing my next 2 wheel transportation.

At the moment I am looking for mopeds over another scooter. Something that I can easily secure to a bikerack, as my Buddy (with front disk lock) was thrown into a vehicle and stolen. If the Buddy wasn't a damn theft magnet, I would buy another in a heartbeat and will once I own a place that has secure garage parking. For now, it's a bike rack, thus moped.

All the mopeds I am finding have no titles, none of the sellers thus far has a Colorado "low power scooter registration" on these either, which I see as a BIG red flag.

Is there any way to verify easily that what I am looking at isn't stolen? Most of these mopeds are from the mid to late 1970s, so I can understand something cheap like that being passed around, but I want to 100% verify it's not been reported stolen.

Thanks!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Am I missing something? You don't want to replace your Buddy with another Buddy because you think they are a "theft magnet". You have decided you would be better off with a classic moped, but are concerned that most of the ones you see for sale may be stolen. So, what do you expect to gain by owning a moped? Front wheel fits in bike rack? Why not a security cable for a Buddy?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

You do know that you can park a 50cc scoot (including a Buddy) on the sidewalk or in a bike rack in Denver, right?

Feel your pain. Loaned one of my Buddys to a friend and it was stolen right out of her parking garage.

Ive tried registering several 50cc scooters with titles from other states in CO and they don't even want to look at the Title and they don't want to issue a new one in Colorado.

Red flag, yes, but it seems hard to get a title for a 50 transferred even if you have.