Cooling vest in hot weather?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

Cooling vest in hot weather?

Post by EvilNerdLord »

who uses one?
how do you like it?
any recommendations for one to weat under a riding jacket?

post a pic if you can..

with the hot as hell summer coming on I was thinking of getting one.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I have one with sleeves that works pretty well. I generally use it when touring in summer but not when commuting.

It works as long as it is still moist. I have been known to stop at a fast food chain and shove it in the sink to dehydrate it.

If you use one you really can't worry about what you are going to look like after the ride. Running at 60 - 70 mph it's like having the AC on.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Syd

Post by Syd »

I've worn a couple; one that just covers the neck/shoulders and another full vest. Vest is better. Like BuddyRaton said, they only work when damp/wet.

I worked with a guy who used to soak his whole mesh jacket on the way to his bike. He said it would last most of his 25 mile commute.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I wear a wet balaclava under my helmet to keep a cool head.
I simply poor water down the back of my riding jacket (if I don't care about the shirt beneath).
I have a shirt with water absorbing "rolls" that is specifically made to absorb a lot of water and stay wet for an extended period of riding/driving.
All three of these work very well.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.