Traffic Light question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Traffic Light question

Post by JJScoot »

What do you guys do when you're the only one at a traffic light and can't trip the sensor? A couple of times I've just had to turn right and circle back after waiting for a long time.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Ideally, you wait for someone else to show up to help trip the light. Otherwise, you can try turning right and then make a U-turn or after a while carefully running the light if no one is coming. I don't know if explaining to a cop that you sat through several cycles of the light might get you out of a ticket, but hopefully if you are careful and observant this won't be an issue.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Check your state's statutes; 'running' a red light that won't change for you could be allowed under certain circumstances.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I wait until it is safe and then ride right on through. It is legal where I live. I've gotten to know some of the lights my scooter will not trigger. Check your DMV motorcycle section about this situation. It should be mentioned.

There are roads that are simply too dangerous to cross without help from a light and in those situations I turn around and take another route. I'm not going to wait all day for a car to come trigger the light for me.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

This is from the MN DMV: "Motorcyclists are provided with an affirmative defense when proceeding through an unchanging red light that has shown red for an unreasonable time if no vehicle or pedestrian is approaching the street. 169.06 subd. 9"
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

Here what. I was able to find. http://www.businessinsider.com/motorcyc ... es-2013-11
Itjismlwgan in Wisconsin. I do however keep a copy of the section of the code that I covered with clear packing tape in with my registration and insurance. Not all officers are aware of the code.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Yup, what they said^^ Pennsylvania (the only state I have experience in) just modified the MVC so that motorcycles can run red lights if they wont change, after waiting some quantity of time.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Kansas allows running the light after waiting thru 1 cycle w/o you getting a turn signal.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

pcsguy88 wrote:Kansas allows running the light after waiting thru 1 cycle w/o you getting a turn signal.
I believe Calif is the same, or at least that's what I do anyway.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Does anyone know the best place to be on the magnetic sensors? In the middle of the box? Crossing the front or rear line? Directly above one of the side lines (this is what I do when I'm thinking about it)?
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

pcsguy88,
Directly above the edge of the box. swinging your kickstand a couple times also helps. I had a couple lights that used to annoy me until I started doing this. Now they switch reliably.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/r ... 108/02.cfm
^ Tha science

Best,
-Slashy
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

cummingsjc wrote:This was an interesting article: http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/how ... ts-legally
This list is somewhat out of date. The Oregon legislature adopted a "dead red" law in 2015. It allows riders to proceed at a red light if the signal "fails" to turn green after a "one full cycle." You are, of course, only allowed to proceed if and when it is safe for you to do so.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Ok thanks everyone. I found this more updated list that allows "dead light" running- I never knew this was a thing. Alas, Florida is not in the list.

Arkansas
California
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Washington
Wisconsin
Virginia
Remous

Post by Remous »

JJScoot wrote:Ok thanks everyone. I found this more updated list that allows "dead light" running- I never knew this was a thing. Alas, Florida is not in the list.

Arkansas
California
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Minnesota
Missouri
Nevada
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Washington
Wisconsin
Virginia
Add Pennsylvania to the list.. last year they added if the light malfunctions you can go through the red light, as long as you treat it as a stop sign.

I always go through this red light on the way to work. It's at 4am and there is never any cars coming. Of course one morning as soon as I went through it I saw flashing lights behind me.

Right away I told the officer about the law that was just passed and he said it is for MALFUNCTIONING lights. I said well that is a malfunctioning light, it stays on red forever even when there are no cars coming. And his response was it is not a malfunctioning light, it just takes forever to turn red. Lol whatever. He was cool though and let me off the hook.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

One of my motorcycle forums mentioned this & said to look for a groove cut into the road in a rectangular shape. At a traffic light you're in the middle of the rectangle. Sometimes you'll see X shaped grooves at the corners. They mentioned to roll across the front groove to trip the sensor, though sometimes the groove is in the crosswalk & I have to roll forward & back a couple of feet. Some say to roll over the X if there's one. Seems to work most of the time on my scooters but rarely on my motorcycle. Might be because the higher ground clearance on the motorcycle, more metal but higher up. I've seen devices that bolt underneath bikes designed to trip sensors, some claim they work & others claim they're useless. Not sure if all areas use the same type sensors so I don't know if everyone has seen these grooves. I have run a few dead lights before that have cameras & haven't gotten a ticket.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

People who drive Saturn's (less magnetic signature because of the door panels being plastic) and other small cars sometimes put hard drive magnets on the bottom of their cars, or suspended by fishing line. No idea if it works or if it's a placebo thing. If you have trouble with this frequently it might be worth a shot.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

PhillyKick wrote:People who drive Saturn's (less magnetic signature because of the door panels being plastic) and other small cars sometimes put hard drive magnets on the bottom of their cars, or suspended by fishing line. No idea if it works or if it's a placebo thing. If you have trouble with this frequently it might be worth a shot.
I wouldn't bother. The sensor works by inducing eddy current in metal that passes near it. Magnets have no effect on it.
Best,
-Slashy
Syd

Post by Syd »

GoSlash27 wrote:
PhillyKick wrote:People who drive Saturn's (less magnetic signature because of the door panels being plastic) and other small cars sometimes put hard drive magnets on the bottom of their cars, or suspended by fishing line. No idea if it works or if it's a placebo thing. If you have trouble with this frequently it might be worth a shot.
I wouldn't bother. The sensor works by inducing eddy current in metal that passes near it. Magnets have no effect on it.
Best,
-Slashy
What GoSlash said. Put pieces of those hard drive magnets on all your screwdrivers to help pick up bits.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

GoSlash27 wrote:
Best,
-Slashy
Exactly right. But if you do decide to try it, avoid manhole covers as you tend to lose some top end once you've accumulated 4 or 5.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Charlie55, great avatar. I bought that album when it first came out. Got every album Jethro Tull made which I later replaced with CDs that I still listen too. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread, back to the topic again.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I carefully run recalcitrant red lights.
It can become very hot sitting in the sun waiting for someone in a car to come trip the sensor.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

New2Scoots wrote:Charlie55, great avatar. I bought that album when it first came out. Got every album Jethro Tull made which I later replaced with CDs that I still listen too. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread, back to the topic again.
Offtopic: I'm with you. I have a pristine album cover of it hanging on my wall, opened so I can read the comic inside as I walk by.

On-topic: If you're doing this right, there's probably nobody around to hit you or give you a ticket in the first place.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

I tried putting my kickstand down right in the sensor but no luck. I'll try in the corners and see if that works tomorrow.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

JJScoot wrote:I tried putting my kickstand down right in the sensor but no luck. I'll try in the corners and see if that works tomorrow.
JJScoot,
It should be at the edge of the sensor (along the side of the box) and you should swing the kickstand a couple times. The sensor looks for a change in reluctance.

Best,
-Slashy
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

GoSlash27 wrote:
JJScoot wrote:I tried putting my kickstand down right in the sensor but no luck. I'll try in the corners and see if that works tomorrow.
JJScoot,
It should be at the edge of the sensor (along the side of the box) and you should swing the kickstand a couple times. The sensor looks for a change in reluctance.

Best,
-Slashy
Gotcha- I meant ON the sensor itself, not IN the sensor box. I will try up and down a couple of times. Working late today and didnt ride in due to threat of rain.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Before I 'run a dead light' I first try to pull up so the scoot is actually over the coil (you can see the outline cut in the pavement) and I put both feet down and roll forward and back my leg length through at least 1-2 cycles for it detect me, then f* it, I'm going if I can.

The sensor is effectively a big metal detector, first I try to get it's attention...then, well... :roll:
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)