Genuine roughhouse upgrades

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Joshoakley15

Genuine roughhouse upgrades

Post by Joshoakley15 »

Hi im wondering for my 2016 genuine roughhouse if i got a "hopupkit" thats what my delaer calls it but it comes with high flow carb prima exhaust and a air filter how faat would my bike go with these upgrades
KooK

Post by KooK »

Probably not much at all. You need a bigger head.
Syd

Post by Syd »

And if you really want to go faster you need to change out the gearing, not just the jug.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

KooK wrote:Probably not much at all. You need a bigger head.
If it is a Roughnouse, the existing head should be usable. It's a 2-stroke, so the head only positions the spark plug and keeps the combustion in the cylinder.

To the OP, it sounds like you're new to scooter tuning. Has your scooter had the factory-fitted restriction removed already? Ask your dealer; if it hasn't been derestricted, remove the restrictor washer from the variator and the restriction from the exhaust...that's free speed with no risk.

The parts you are asking about will make your scooter thirstier and sound like outdoor power equipment. How fast if goes depends on how well you match the fuel-air mixture (via jetting changes and fuel needles) to keep the engine properly fed and how well the exhaust's tuning characteristics match up with the stock cylinder's porting. If this sounds like Greek, please find a good mechanic to help so you don't damage your new scooter.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
skipper20

Re: Genuine roughhouse upgrades

Post by skipper20 »

Joshoakley15 wrote:Hi im wondering for my 2016 genuine roughhouse if i got a "hopupkit" thats what my delaer calls it but it comes with high flow carb prima exhaust and a air filter how faat would my bike go with these upgrades
If you want to go noticeably faster without inducing poor performance in other areas such as reduced acceleration on hills, slower front end acceleration and increased fuel consumption, you need more horsepower. To get more horsepower you need a bigger engine. So, go back to your dealer and ask about the 72mm BBK kits that are frequently offered on eBay. Yes, they will void your warranty which is why you need your dealer's input. Hopefully your dealer will have a knowledgeable, competent and objective service department, such as Scoot-Over's here in Tucson, who will guide you through this rather complex and occasionally frustrating process. Good luck!

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson (till 3/30)
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
Mikestib1

The warranty issue

Post by Mikestib1 »

All I know is Scooterworks in Chicago, related to Genuine Scooter Co, sells a sport exhaust also which will not void the warranty. They also sell Prima and state it will void the warranty. I bought the sport exhaust, the recommended 90 main jet, plus the recommended 9g Dr Pulley sliders, and a 42 pilot jet. This will take your speed up to about 50 mph. The Prima exhaust will give you poor low to midrange performance. If you want better acceleration and a 55 mph top speed, the local Genuine dealer here says the Malossi 70cc big bore kit is the most reliable for daily riding, not talking racing here. Of course your warranty on the engine goes out the window. A forum member makes a good point that PGO scooters are well made and under stressed. I'm about ready to do the minor hop up and the BBK too. Because I'm a slave to hop ups, Hell I have a SMax 155 Yamaha. Why leave it alone when it's so easy to fool with it?
But do your homework on what components are reliable and will give you the performance in all round daily use. Damn I talk too much. Or just buy a bigger scooter
x
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe