Performance Improvements - Let's be Realistic

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Performance Improvements - Let's be Realistic

Post by skipper20 »

First off - a big Shout Out to list member az_slynch of Tucson for his unselfish guidance, advice and help towards improving my 2015 170i Hooligan's performance. I keep the scooter here in Tucson for when I'm a winter visitor. He even personally delivered performance parts to the local Genuine dealer, Scoot Over, for the Hooligan. Thanks again for this personal service. Thanks also for letting me test ride your Kymco Yager. It is indeed one fine scooter!

This is what has been done so far:

1. Removed stock muffler and replaced with Hooligan performance muffler purchased from Scooterworks. Reset the ECU to compensate for the improved air flow.

2. Replaced stock air filter with Simota performance air filter.

3. Replaced stock rollers with heavier 13g Dr. Pulley sliders.

4. Replaced original contra spring with heavier 1000 rpm contra spring.

My original objective was to improve top end speed by at least 5 mph with no loss in hill climbing or mid-range acceleration. In retrospect, this was not realistic. After doing the above improvements, my hill climbing, mid range acceleration as well as take off acceleration are still within acceptable limits but top speed is up only 2 mph. I think this is realistic. Let's not kid ourselves. If we want to go much faster, we need more horsepower. To get more horse power we need a bigger engine. And a bigger engine means a bigger scooter. It's that simple. Yes, you can make a smaller scooter noticeably faster than what its stock engine was originally designed for but there's trade-offs. If you gain big at one end you're going to lose big at another end. There's no getting away with it. Based on my experience to date, keeping everything in proper balance means modest improvements only. So, I'm satisfied with where I'm at. I'm OK with 62 mph top end GPS confirmed up from 60 mph top end with no loss of benefits on hills, acceleration and fuel mileage. If I want to go faster than 62 I'll get a bigger scooter designed to go faster than 62. It's that simple.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson (till 3/30)
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sorry you didn't get 'exactly' what you wanted, but with Scoot Over and az_slynch involved I doubt you could do any better.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Good job az_slynch for helping out a fellow scooterist!

Um, my Blur 180 which started life as a 150 can easily sustain 70 MPH, GPS. I've hit 75 on level ground. Other than the FI, I think my engine is based on the Hooligans' engine. The Hooligan gets it's displacement increase from a 150 to a 170 by using a bigger bore cylinder. Try going to a longer stroke crank for a little more displacement, but more importantly, more torque to take full advantage of heavier rollers/sliders.
With all that being said, I don't really ride very often at top speed anyway; 13" wheels on a small scooter can be a little scary on the Freeway.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Mikestib1

Going faster

Post by Mikestib1 »

I loved my Buddy 170i, but after replacing the exhaust and the rollers, bit the bullet and bought a Yamaha S max. It's heavier but makes 15hp versus 11 and does 72 mph. Luckily I could buy a Rough house too for the city. If 125cc two strokes were legal, I could only need one scooter.
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Every scooter is the scooter it is! This is especially true for modern TNG scooters. Performance is pretty high out of the box. Improvements can be made, but return may not be worth the work and coin!

There's nothing wrong with that!

I still have my 06 Buddy 125 that I kitted several years ago to 161. This thing is fun to ride! I take it out when it is a local ride, not too fast, short trips, but is still quick and flickable!

My Blur 220 i is a Blur. It truly is a sport scooter. I just rode it over 100 miles today on city streets. What a freaking blast! There is no comparison for Urban jamming on a scooter. Acceleration is OK...top end is lacking for a 220cc scooter. But between 25 and 55 mph with those brakes and that suspension. Daym I love that ride!

Each has it's own personality and features. The hard part is choosing the "perfect" scooter. It doesn't exist! That;s why you NEED more than one!

Don't even get me started on vintage 2TS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL