replacing both tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

replacing both tires

Post by ucandoit »

Since I bought my 2008 used Buddy 125 (3 yrs. ago) I've done all the basic maintenance, like oil changes, valve adjustment, carb. cleaning, etc. But not anything more involved than that. I just took it out of winter storage, and got it started up and checked it over and discovered that the front tire now has some checking/cracking on one side. These are the original tires.
I'd like to get new tires at Scooterville in Minneapolis as they specialize in scooters, (esp. Genuine) but I'm 80 miles away. Please rate the difficulty in removing both wheels to take them in for new tires. My other option is to find a close motorcycle shop, but I'd rather have mechanics who work on scooters. Any suggestions? .
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

Any motorcycle store will be more than capable of changing tires. There is nothing specific or difficult about taking them off or on. The buddy is quite easy. You can do it yourself with a few basic tools and bring your wheels and new tires to any scooter or motorcycle shop. I think it cost me $20 to have them swap the tires. It took probably 15 minutes or so. If you bring the scoot to have them do the whole job for you, I'd call around and get the best price.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

It's pretty easy to do. If you can change your oil and filter, you should have no problem taking the wheels off. I would do the rear first, then do the front at another time. I think the fellow in the other thread ran into two problems. 1) took both wheels off at once 2) scooter already had a sheared exhaust bolt.
There are loads of knowledgeable members on this forum willing to help. I'm pretty sure if you spend 10 minutes searching Modern Buddy, you will find plenty of posts with pictures and detailed instruction. It really is not that hard. Go slow, follow the shop manual, check and re-check your work.

I would be real careful if you have a place do it that does not work on Genuine scooters on a regular basis. The shop near me charges $100 a shop hour. The kid changing tires makes $10.00 an hour. I'm pretty sure if you do the work yourself you will be more concerned with how it turns out than the kid making ten bucks an hour.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

DeeDee. I have the same feeling about shops that do not work on scooters on a regular basis.
I'll begin searching Modern Buddy for some tutorials and also Youtube. I will need to get a good torque wrench, too. I'm thinking of buying the Continental Zippy tires, but have no particularly reason for choosing them other than the reviews.
While I have the wheels off, is there any other components I should check on? Such as the rear drum brakes, or front brakes. I don't have to mess with shocks at all do I? Thank you.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I may have gotten lucky but I found a BIG rim/tire dealer for cars that mounts scooter tires for $20 each-with new valve stems, off the bike of course. They have a tire machine that goes down to 6 inch rims. They have never left a mark on the rims or damaged a tire-oh, and that $20 includes removing the old tires and disposal. I do write a small rotation arrow by the valve hole with a Sharpie so they dont mount a tire backwards, because I usually remove the old tires myself before I go there. Makes it easier to carry and I can inspect the rims for damage myself.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I like to remove the rear wheel with the big 15/16" axle nut. Once removed, sand the glaze off your brake shoes and clean the debri off with a chip brush. Clean the inside drum on your wheel with carb or brake cleaner and dry it.

When you remove your front caliper, use a composite or cedar shim to keep your brake pads apart for easier re-install. This would be a good time to inspect your front pads. If they need replaced, I would flush, fill and bleed the front brake system at this time.

I use a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. They go on sale all the time for $10.00. I don't think i would trust it for tightening down head bolts, but it's fine for everything else.

Plut a dab of blue loc-tite on your axle threads (both front and rear) and torque to specification.

All of this sounds a bit daunting, but it is not. Buddys are some of the best designed and engineered scooters you can buy. It's almost as if they thought of the poor slob trying to keep his scooter on the road when they designed it. (very easy to work on)
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

sc00ter wrote:I may have gotten lucky but I found a BIG rim/tire dealer for cars that mounts scooter tires for $20 each-with new valve stems, off the bike of course. They have a tire machine that goes down to 6 inch rims. They have never left a mark on the rims or damaged a tire-oh, and that $20 includes removing the old tires and disposal. I do write a small rotation arrow by the valve hole with a Sharpie so they dont mount a tire backwards, because I usually remove the old tires myself before I go there. Makes it easier to carry and I can inspect the rims for damage myself.
You spend $40.00 a set after you have already broken the bead and removed the old tires? I'm not sure I'd call that lucky.

Breaking the bead and removing the old tire is the hard part. Installing the new tire is 5 minutes more. In addition to proper rotation, you should match up the small red dot on the side wall with the valve stem. This is the lightest part of the tire.
A bead breaker can be made out of a couple of scrap 2X4's. You can buy a quality set of tire spoons off Ebay for under $15.00. Youtube videos are free.
I used to take my tires into have mounted on the rim. I found I can do it myself in less time it takes me to get to the tire shop and back.
Do it one time, and you have more than paid for the tire spoons.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Breaking the bead is easy, and once the bead is broken I just cut the bead with bolt cutters. Tire comes right off. Takes a whopping minute a wheel. Its a system we learned at the motorcycle shop I worked at. Come spring time and the middle of summer the tire machine is BUSY, and in and out saves time and money. Note that Michelin tires for scooters dont have the dot. They come pre-balanced and the small diameter does not require it anyways. And the tire guys know what lines up as they do it for a living and if they are not sure they look it up. I do run other brands once in awhile that have the dots. INSTALLING tires SUCKS as we have discussed before! After wrestling the last set of tires on a Vino 50cc 2 stroke the $20 a tire is worth every penny!
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Thank you for all the details. That helps a lot. I will for sure sand the glaze off the drum brake pads and clean it up. Do I need a new gasket when I reinstall the exhaust into the engine with the two bolts?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

No need to replace the gasket. Just be sure there is one there. As mentioned before, a dab of anti-seize on the exhaust studs would be a good idea. You can buy those little packets at the auto parts store usually near the counter for a dollar or so.
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

Have your tires mounted at a shop that can balance your wheels once the new tires are on. It will run much smoother at higher speeds, guaranteed. You can't balance your own wheels. Saving money is a great idea, but riding a scooter at 55mph that's trying to shake itself apart is not.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If you line up the orange dot with the valve stem, that is all the balancing you need on a 10" scooter tire. They don't come balanced from Genuine. There is no need.
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

Wrong, wrong,wrong. Took a bad shake out of my Kymco SuperEight 150 by balancing the front, did the same with my Blackjack, foolish to not balance the wheels that are your connection to the road. Maybe the 30mph rental mopeds can get away with it, but at 55-60 it's foolish.
MYSCTR

REAR BUDDY WHEEL VIDEOS

Post by MYSCTR »

Just a quick simple solution for removing the rear wheel on your Buddy (model won't matter) as an option to buying the 15/16" axle wrench.

Removal Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsmJQ8EGnc

Installation Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsctmVtYV5E

Included removal/installation of the Prima pipe.

75,000 miles on 10 Genuine Buddy scoots and we have never had a tire 'balanced'.
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

Sounds like you need to try it sometime
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

That's the great thing about living in a free country. An individual is free to piss their money away as they see fit. You don't think PGO would balance these out the door if it was needed?
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Thank you for all the suggestions and info. and discussion. I watched the two videos showing removal of the rear wheel and reinstall without removing that big center nut. Good videos. I need to decide if I want to remove that nut to examine the hub and brakes? The scooter has 6000 miles on it. What would you suggest?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Your rear brake pads have a very long life span. They do need to be cleaned on occasion to stop them from squealing. As a rule I always remove the axle nut and clean the rear pads when doing a tire change. What happens if you put on a new tire by removing the 5 small bolts, and your rear brakes start squealing like a pig 1,000 miles from now. Plus I prefer to remove 1 instead of 5. Same applies to variator work. When the CVT case is open I always clean and de-glaze the clutch pads unless I know it has been done recently.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ucandoit wrote: I need to decide if I want to remove that nut to examine the hub and brakes? The scooter has 6000 miles on it. What would you suggest?
My original rear brake pads were still decent at 9k of hard riding. I'm coming up on 18k, so I might do the front ones again when they need it. The pads aren't bad for both, and you can save them if they look OK.

Really they're cheap enough that if you bought them every set of tires it wouldn't be terrible, but drums last a good long time, and the fronts are good for 8-10k. Considering so few people even put that on these little bikes, pretty awesome.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Thank you. It does sounds as though the brakes last a long time. DeeDee. Is there any reason that you suggested, earlier, that I do the rear tire first? Thank you.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ucandoit wrote:Thank you. It does sounds as though the brakes last a long time. DeeDee. Is there any reason that you suggested, earlier, that I do the rear tire first? Thank you.
If nothing else, as the drive wheel they wear a lot faster. Because of the muffler, it's just a few more steps.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

What he said.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Regarding the discussion about balancing a scooter tire or not. I just watched a Youtube video of a motorcycle tire change. He lined the orange dot up with the valve, but also, after seating the bead, he squirted some ceramic dust into the tire. Supposedly it helps balance the tire as it rotates. I'd never heard of that before.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Are you sure it was ceramic "dust"? I'd think you are referring to dynabeads or some other brand of ceramic or glass beads used as a dynamic method of balancing. Some people like them, and some don't.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Yes, it is a "dust ". It's a good video of removing and mounting a motorcycle tire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q8CNv6QZJ0