New Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

exmayor

New Buddy 125

Post by exmayor »

Just put a deposit on a 2013 new never titled White 125 that I will take delivery of when we return from our winter home. We have a great dealer in Madison and i am really looking forward to having it. Thanks to all the wonderful information on the site the decision was easy. The one question I have for 125 owners is regarding tires. I have seen some posts about larger rear tires. From what I can find the rear rim is a little wider and since the weight bias is toward the rear it makes sense to stager. I a, considering heidenau k61s and can't find a conversion between 3.50-10 and metric sizing like 110/80-10 thanks. Rick
Syd

Post by Syd »

You should check the condition of those tires, mayor, looking for cracks.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
paracer

Post by paracer »

If you are keeping the bike stock or perhaps adding a pipe or opened up intake, the stock tire size is fine.

If you are doing more, like a big bore kit, then you may want to upsize to a 13/70-10. This will give you a taller tire which will pick up a little more top end speed.
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

I was planning to change them before I ride it. I am really particular about tires and maintenance. Have developed a pre ride check (lights, tire pressure and brakes) that has helped keep me rubber side down over the past 30 years of road riding.
Since it is a new bike with the 2 yr warranty I won't be doing any changes to the motor. I may play around clutch springs and variatior weights after I ride it some and see how it is in stock form. Other than tires I will change forks and rear shock to ncy units and add a braided steel front brake line
Last edited by exmayor on Thu May 11, 2017 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Here is a chart comparing tire height:

2.50x10 : 2.5"W x ?"T
2.75x10 : 2.8"W x 15.6"T
3.00x10 : 3.0"W x 16.5"T
80/90/10 : 3.1"W x 15.7"T
90/90/10 : 3.5"W x 16.4"T
3.50x10 : 3.5"W x 16.5"T
100/80/10 : 3.9"W x 16.3"T
100/90/10 : 3.9"W x 17.1"T
4.00x10 : 4.0"W x 18"T
110/80/10 : 4.3"W x 16.9"T
120/70/10 : 4.7"W x 16.6"T
120/90/10 : 4.7"W x 18.5"T
130/70/10 : 5.1"W x 17.2"T
130/90/10 : 5.1"W x 19.2"T

I ran a rear 130/70-10 on my 170i. I didn't really notice much of a ride difference, but it sure wore out quickly.
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

Dee Dee thank you for the chart
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

Dee Dee thank you for the chart
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

I am continuing to sort thru the things I want to do when I pick it up in April I am looking at the prima smoked windscreen and will be using it with the crg barend mirrors I have now. In looking at the install instructions it appears that there are two risers that screw into the mirror locations and that the stock mirrors hold the mounting brackets down. My plan is to use button head stainless screws for that purpose but I have been unable to find a left hand thread for that purpose. I know think I could run a 8mm right hand tap thru the left hand threads and blue loctite the bolt in. I have had success with this in the past. For any of you with this windscreen. I'd the riser steel or alloy.
I know barends are not normal but between my previous bikes ('66 Troimph 500 & 02 Monster 620). I have ridden about 30k miles using barend mirrors so it is really a trust thing for me.

Thanks

Rick
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I believe the risers on that are zinc coated steel.
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

Thanks
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

DeeDee the chart is awesome.

Having the height, width, and sizes is very useful.
The red ones are faster.
jimmu

Post by jimmu »

Would the 130/70-10 tire help with the prima pipe right side clearance? I hate scraping that pipe on turns!
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

jimmu wrote:Would the 130/70-10 tire help with the prima pipe right side clearance? I hate scraping that pipe on turns!
Maybe combined with the adjustable rear shock which will help with the tire clearance too (depending how much weight you will be carrying). The shock can get you more left in the rear plus the 130/70-10 will get you more height as you are squeezing the tire which will push it up on the stock Buddy rim. We are riding this set up again after having it on our last Buddy. We like the way it handles.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You're only raising the rear end 3/8" of an inch if you switch to the 130/70-10.
Your stock shock is 280mm. Do like MYSCTR says and look at a beefier rear shock, Maybe 290 or 295mm tall.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

DeeDee wrote:You're only raising the rear end 3/8" of an inch if you switch to the 130/70-10.
DeeDee - Does the height include the actual tire mounted on a 5" wide rim or does this account for the tire being 'squeezed' on the 4" wide Buddy rim?

130/70/10 : 5.1"W x 17.2"T

This came up a few years ago and i believe the net height for the actual tire size plus the 'squeezing' netted a taller measurement although I do not have a clue how much. All I know is i like the ride, the way it handles and allows the Buddy to roll into and around corners. I'm thinking it will be higher than 3/8" once mounted on the Buddy rim.

I am a few weeks from switching to a new tire (same size) and can measure what it is IRL once it is mounted and has 28 psi. Could be interesting. We just switched to Michelin S1's.
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

Be cautious about raising the rear of the scooter too much. Raising the rear changes the rake on the front end and quickens the steering. A small change in rear height can make a drastic change in handeling
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Agreed on the handling change. You could swap both and get it even again or stick with that the O.E.M. uses. That being said its not like its a 150+ horse power rocket bike.
jimmu

Post by jimmu »

I've already switched to an OEM sized aftermarket shock. Just trying to figure out how to not kill this exhaust while making right turns.
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

If the shock has adjustable preload compress the spring a little. Also, is there an easy way to shorten the hanger on the exhaust to lift it closer to the bottom of the scooter. I won't have my Buddy until we return to Madison in April but in most of the pictures I have seen of the prima exhaust it seems to be quite low and toward the outside of the scooter so there may be some room for improvement with a little bending and adjusting
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats on the new Buddy! I still think that a Buddy 125 is the best bang for the buck in a smaller displacement scooter!

I would suggest staying stock for a while including tire size. Ride it and break it in. It is surprising how much better the 125 gets with some miles.

It usually takes 800 to 1,00 miles for the motor to really get settled in. You will have a good feel for the handling by that time too. It will give you a better idea of what you want to do to it and what you want to get out of it.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

I picked up my Buddy 3 weeks ago today. After a couple of beautiful Wisconsin spring days we have had sixteen days of rain. I have been getting in a little riding including .a 50 mile run on Sunday
So far I am really happy with the scooter. I have only ridden motorcycles. For the last 50 years and the quickness was a real pleasant surprise when I was in my 40's I raced bikes on the velodrome and the quick handeling is a lot like a track bike.
With the weight carried so low it feels planted in turns.
The first 50 miles or so it seemed I needed to give a lot of throttle and then the clutch would grab and the scoot would jump forward. At 250 miles it no longer seems like that but that may be a result me getting a better feel for it.
My dealer installed the NCY adjustable shock and new 3.50-10 Zippy 1s
When the NCY disk is back in stock I'll change the fork and rotor and pu a braided steel front line on.
I fired up the dead lights removed the DOT blinkers installed led bulbs in the indicators with a new flasher,installed the brake modulator, shortened the rear fender, took off the stock mirrors and grips and installed my CRG barends and some grips I hav left over from my old monster. Also sanded and sprayed black the passenger foot pads and the muffler heat shield.
I'll post some pics when we get a nice sunny day.