COLD WEATHER RIDING

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MYSCTR

COLD WEATHER RIDING

Post by MYSCTR »

There was a post about where to post when riding in cold temps yet I don't see it here anymore. That said Wednesday was 31 degrees and showing a 22 degree 'feels like' (standing still) which was an effective 11-degree chill factor for my commute.

This morning was 21 degrees with a riding wind chill of -3 degrees for my commute this morning.

The 170i did awesome, is parked inside warehouse waiting to go home at 4PM with snow flurries. Well, I would call it a light dusting, but most coworkers are getting excited about the snow.

Should expect 22 degrees with a 7-degree standing 'feels like' and 18-19 mph north breeze. Whoop! Might have to find a longer ride home.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Even though I will take the truck if its silly cold (teens for me) if I know there is no ice threat I will still ride in. My commute is around 20 miles each way. I have heated grips but they are not the best. My co-workers are always like "OMG! You rode in today!?". We are either dedicated to riding as much as possible or slightly crazy!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The only time I stop riding is when it's raining (I have sport tires, no tread to speak of), but for the most part, the coldest it gets around here is upper 30's to low 40's. Luckily, my cold weather motorcycle jacket keeps me quite warm and the chin shield on my helmet helps a lot. Only problem I have is my glasses fogging up with the shield down.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
skipper20

Re: COLD WEATHER RIDING

Post by skipper20 »

MYSCTR wrote:There was a post about where to post when riding in cold temps yet I don't see it here anymore. That said Wednesday was 31 degrees and showing a 22 degree 'feels like' (standing still) which was an effective 11-degree chill factor for my commute.

This morning was 21 degrees with a riding wind chill of -3 degrees for my commute this morning.

The 170i did awesome, is parked inside warehouse waiting to go home at 4PM with snow flurries. Well, I would call it a light dusting, but most coworkers are getting excited about the snow.

Should expect 22 degrees with a 7-degree standing 'feels like' and 18-19 mph north breeze. Whoop! Might have to find a longer ride home.
52F at 9AM in Tucson right now so I have to decide if I'll wear my riding jacket with jeans or a sweat shirt with jeans. Either one I'll have my reflective safety vest on. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium :)
MYSCTR

Re: COLD WEATHER RIDING

Post by MYSCTR »

skipper20 wrote:
MYSCTR wrote:This morning was 21 degrees with a riding wind chill of -3 degrees for my commute this morning.

52F at 9AM in Tucson right now so I have to decide if I'll wear my riding jacket with jeans or a sweat shirt with jeans. Either one I'll have my reflective safety vest on. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium :)
And that is why Tucson has been a destination we want to visit with scooters for several years now - especially late fall/winter.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

sc00ter wrote:Even though I will take the truck if its silly cold (teens for me) if I know there is no ice threat I will still ride in. My commute is around 20 miles each way. I have heated grips but they are not the best. My co-workers are always like "OMG! You rode in today!?". We are either dedicated to riding as much as possible or slightly crazy!
I would have had a tough time if I had to ride 20+ miles rather then the 8 miles for my commute. Definitely would need better finger protection.

Funny, we get the same thing from co-workers.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I saw that PUIG makes clear hand guards for rocket bikes. I wish someone would make them for scooters. I have never understood why scooter designers dont incorporate hand protection into their designs. Decent wind protection combined with heated grips can make the ride a bit more tolerable on cold days. PUIG, make us Buddy owners clear hand guards, please!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

One thing I have learned is, not, repeat, not to leave my jacket in my unheated garage. It's difficult to stay warm if you start off cold.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Do you mean the Shrinky Dink?

http://carlislecycleandscooter.blogspot ... er-21.html

The event is up and running, we only have about 10 riders, join in. Post rides on the FB page here.

https://www.facebook.com/events/5808400 ... discussion
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?