Buddy 150/170i vs Vespa 300 GTS

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MYSCTR

Buddy 150/170i vs Vespa 300 GTS

Post by MYSCTR »

We are looking for riders who ride or have experience on both a Buddy and the (newer) Vespa 300.
Looking at the Vespa site, they show top speed @ 80 mph and we have read from individual owners on forums they are more like 75 mph.

What have you experienced on yours? Have you used yours riding 2 up at highway speeds? If you don’t mind my asking, have you pushed it and what would you consider top speed on level ground without any major head or tailwind?

Would you consider the Vespa 300 a good every day commuter and still good for two up on weekends or extended road trips? We would have about 340 pounds (2 up) before any luggage. I could see us riding 300-500 miles in a weekend or even 1,000 miles over a 4-day weekend. Our last ‘day trip’ was 254 miles on our Buddy scoots.

See link in Scooter Gallery:
topic30162.html

We own and have ridden Buddy models 125/150/170i over the past several years and feel we actually lost just a bit of higher end performance when we stepped up to the 170i. This may have come partly from my riding a 150 with a big bore kit in it. We want to be sure the Vespa can handle the higher speeds comfortably with 2 up and gear without bogging down.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've ridden several 200/250's/300s (they're about the same really).

They're a lot more stable at faster speeds, owing to the bigger tires and frame.

A 300 would do for a normal commuter with some weekend trips. We have a scooter club that takes a multi-WEEK trip on their vespas almost annually.

However, also owning a mid-sized motorcycle, I'd say look at that too. "oh but I don't want to own a motorcycle...". That's a fair thought, but they are really built more for gobbling up those miles.

6 hours through windy hills or long stretches at 70mph is nothing on my CTX, even 2 up. The same trip with my wife and I on the bike is much more fatiguing after 2ish hours. The cost for a new 300 and a new CTX700 are not much different.

The 300 will get you to 75-80mph. 80 is really tops, and 2 up you're not likely to see it. If it's super windy you will hate your life (that's on anything but a huge cruiser usually though). We have taken a friend's 300 up into the mountains 2-up with some luggage.

All that being said, 55mph is my favorite speed. If you're not on crowded 75mph interstates where people go 95 all the time (while on the phone, eating soup and watching a movie....), you will be fine.

Maintenance is not cheap on the Vespa, but over time for any of the larger 2-wheelers you're looking at 10% of the cost of the bike in tires, filters, belts, etc. every 10-15k. They simply eat them up. So the $$ you save in gas goes to consumables.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Skully - all good thoughts and info. Good to know about the closeness between the Vespa's.

We do have a few HD rider friends that are trying to talk us into buying a Harley (mainly for road trips) yet having a scooter tends to keep me out of trouble. We had motorcycles many many years ago (before 33 years of marriage) and I just don't have the desire to go back there.

I don't expect to ride much more than 60-ish 2 up, yet want to know there is something left if needed yet also to know we are not riding WOT all the time.

The maintenance is what got us to buy our first Buddy... and then ten Buddy scooters later we are thinking it is time for a Vespa. The girls will keep their Buddy's and we do have an extra one here if I wanted to go our for a spin, yet having the Vespa would be my main commuter and any longer rides so the Mrs could sit a little closer (HA) and not have to be so focussed all the time.

Ok - the Honda CTX700DCT is an awesome bike! Just watched a review and test-drive. Very cool bike for sure.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

The Kymco People 300 is better than the GTS in every way except in the looks department. It's faster, cheaper/easier to maintain on top of longer maintenance intervals and it doesn't death wobble every time you slow to a stop. Out of everything I've ridden, I'd pick that as my maxi-scoot.

The GTS makes 21.2 hp and the Kymco makes 29.5. Not to mention you get a two year unlimited mile warranty. Yeah, I'd buy the Kymco.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have both a GTS 300 ABS and a Buddy 125 sitting in the garage. I like the Buddy for around town, but I have owned one or another model GTS for many years and believe it is far and away the best classic scooter on the road (I am not counting various large wheeled maxi-scooters as "classic scooters"). The power, weight, and liquid cooling of the GTS make it a great medium and long distance ride. The ABS/ASR puts it in a different class technologically than the Buddy. The fit and finish are lovely. If I could only own one scooter, the GTS would be it.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

MYSCTR wrote:
I don't expect to ride much more than 60-ish 2 up, yet want to know there is something left if needed yet also to know we are not riding WOT all the time.

Ok - the Honda CTX700DCT is an awesome bike! Just watched a review and test-drive. Very cool bike for sure.
the 300 should be fine for 60-ish 2-up! Sure, the HD folks will blast forward to 100mph all the time, but they're bigger bikes. It keeps me from buying a super fast bike. I'd use it.

I do wish the CTX had about 25 more ponies at times, but it's a ridiculously good commuter. the DCT makes it pretty manageable in traffic. Eventually I need to get my promised review of it done for Scooterfile.

Downside, it definitely is not a scooter, so sometimes when I ride it on our mountain rides I feel like a jerk. If we had a garage I'd love a 300!
Mikestib1

2 up on the highway

Post by Mikestib1 »

I own a 170i Buddy. Not good 2 up. Not good at 65 mph on the highway with its little 10" wheels that make it perfect in town. Owned a Kymco people Gt300i, great on the highway but cumbersome in the city, I've read the Yamaha Smax is cabable at both, if you aren't put off by the Sportbike styling.
To me it's function before fashion. I bought the Kymco new for $3400 plus tax and tags. Don't believe their list price which was $5400. Since I live in a small city and ride solo, the Buddy 170i is perfect. A small motorcycle like the Honda CB 300f might work unless you have to do a scooter.
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
Mikestib1

Cycletrader

Post by Mikestib1 »

Bought both the Buddy and the Kymco on their site. They were new but had been sitting in the dealer showroom about 2 years so they were ready to deal. Still had new warranty and did my own tax and title work. Dealers were 100 miles away and they even delivered both no charge. Or I would find a friend with a truck or rent a pickup and unload it with my friend. I'm retired so I always can find a way to get a great price, it's always hard to find one do it all motorcycle or scooter. Sometimes you need two. Luckily my wife knows If I'm happy , I'm more likely to do more chores without complaining. Now I have the 170i Buddy and a Honda CB 1100. The Honda was $6000 not $10000 as it was a leftover. The Buddy was $2600 not $3300 plus no freight or set up charges on either. Both dealers were eager to move them in the Fall,
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Have you considered one of the new Piaggio MP3 500s? If you are looking at Vespas you might try the MP3. It will do 2-up with no problem, get 90+ MPH if you wanted to go that fast, and is super stable at speed. I have been involved in the purchase of 5 MP3s over the last 5 years and I really have enjoyed riding them.

If I was in a Vespa dealership, I would definitely ask to take one for a test drive.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Dooglas & Skully - All good stuff - thanks for your input.

Mike - My kind of shopper

Not looking for a MP3, Kymco or Maxi scooters like Burgman although we did let two of them slip through our fingers a few years back.