Craigslist seller not responding. Thoughts?!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jelee

Craigslist seller not responding. Thoughts?!

Post by jelee »

My beloved Buddy was stolen back in August and I've been on the hunt to replace it. About a week and a half ago, I came across a great deal on a 2006 Buddy that looks to be in great shape with low mileage via Craigslist.

I (and my dad) have each sent a few e-mails and the seller hasn't responded to either of us. Since I started inquiring, the ad has been updated so I know it's still available. The ad has no phone number but does show a general map of where the seller is located. I am in Chicago so it's not exactly scooter season at this point so it's not as if there's a huge market for it right now.

I've tried changing the subject of the e-mail, removing the Craigslist link and including my phone number to help prevent it from going into spam and to give the seller another way to contact me. But no such luck.

Any thoughts or ideas?! I'm getting so frustrated.
Syd

Post by Syd »

If the ad uses CL's email, it's probably gone into his spam folder. It happened to me.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Try posting an "ad" of your own in reference to the seller's. Ask him to either respond to your ad, or ask him to double-check his email/junk folder.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I would go to the general area and start knocking on everyone's door. I would just explain to everyone that someone on craigslist will not respond to your emails and that is why you are there.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ScooterDave wrote:I would go to the general area and start knocking on everyone's door. I would just explain to everyone that someone on craigslist will not respond to your emails and that is why you are there.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Or, instead of knocking on every door (funny!) you could keep on looking and consider it a "To good to be true" or "Wasn't meant to be" scooter.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

ScooterDave wrote:I would go to the general area and start knocking on everyone's door. I would just explain to everyone that someone on craigslist will not respond to your emails and that is why you are there.
Wow, that could be a lot of doors. And, based on my recent electioneering door belling experience, you're lucky to have 5 out of 20 people answer the door. Instead, I would go with Charlie55's suggestion: put an ad in CL's same category and same area section and say you'd like to get ahold of the guy selling the scooter as he's not answering your e-mails and you're a serious cash-in-hand buyer. I'll bet you'll get an answer the same day! On the other hand, it's possible the seller has experienced a sudden, serious medical situation and isn't capable of responding. Let's hope not.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Sometimes on craigslist, the seller is really selling something other than what his post says. He may be selling something other than the scooter.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

wheelbender6 wrote:Sometimes on craigslist, the seller is really selling something other than what his post says. He may be selling something other than the scooter.
Interesting theory. Are you suggesting that there may be code words within his description that a certain class of buyers are looking for and will respond to? Non-scooter buyers that is.

Bill in Seattle
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Yes. They sometimes are selling contraband.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Mikestib1

CL

Post by Mikestib1 »

Bet it was sold and the seller left it on the site
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
jelee

Post by jelee »

Thanks for all of your advice, everyone. This never-ending Craigslist saga has a happy ending!

After sending several e-mails with no response, I decided it was too good to be true and to let it go. My boyfriend sent one last e-mail and miraculously got a response. My dad met the guy yesterday, sealed the deal and took it home! It's a 2006 Buddy with about 1100 miles. I paid $700. Total steal. I haven't seen it in person but my dad says it looks fantastic. Just a little dirty from sitting for a while.
Attachments
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG (30.25 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Syd

Post by Syd »

You will probably need new tires, maybe a new belt too
MYSCTR

2006 OR 2016 ?

Post by MYSCTR »

jelee wrote:Thanks for all of your advice, everyone.
It's a 2006 Buddy with about 1100 miles. I paid $700. Total steal.
So is this a 2006 (first year Buddy with the smaller headlight) or a 2016 shown under your scooter model?

2016 Buddy 125

Either way this is a great deal! Be safe & enjoy!
Christophers

Re: 2006 OR 2016 ?

Post by Christophers »

MYSCTR wrote:
So is this a 2006 (first year Buddy with the smaller headlight) or a 2016 shown under your scooter model?

2016 Buddy 125

She says it's a 2006 in the post above... and in the original post.
(and looks like a 2006 in the pic.)
But we get your point :)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

jelee wrote:Thanks for all of your advice, everyone. This never-ending Craigslist saga has a happy ending!

After sending several e-mails with no response, I decided it was too good to be true and to let it go. My boyfriend sent one last e-mail and miraculously got a response. My dad met the guy yesterday, sealed the deal and took it home! It's a 2006 Buddy with about 1100 miles. I paid $700. Total steal. I haven't seen it in person but my dad says it looks fantastic. Just a little dirty from sitting for a while.
Nicely done! You might have some work ahead of you to make it tip-top, but at that price, who cares?

great deal.
jelee

Re: 2006 OR 2016 ?

Post by jelee »

Christophers wrote:
MYSCTR wrote:

2016 Buddy 125

She says it's a 2006 in the post above... and in the original post.
(and looks like a 2006 in the pic.)
But we get your point :)
Oops. Guess I need to change that. The one I just bought is a 2006 to replace my 2016 that got stolen last year.
jelee

Post by jelee »

skully93 wrote:
jelee wrote:Thanks for all of your advice, everyone. This never-ending Craigslist saga has a happy ending!

Nicely done! You might have some work ahead of you to make it tip-top, but at that price, who cares?

great deal.
Thanks! I'm thrilled. I think the seller just really wanted it off his hands. It looks and seems to run great but I plan to take it to Scooterworks in the spring to be sure.