Slider vs roller variator weights

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mikestib1

Slider vs roller variator weights

Post by Mikestib1 »

If I replace my roller weights with slider weights same gram weight will it improve acceleration and hill climbing? Buddy 170i is my main scooter and I live in the city hilly terrain. I'm sure someone has tried it. Thanks
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I went 1 gram lighter when I installed sliders in my 170i. If you want better mid range and hill climbing, look into moving one stiffer on the clutch springs. Didn't feel the need to do it on my Buddy, but made a world of difference on my Yamaha C3.
Mikestib1

Weight

Post by Mikestib1 »

I'm going to use 11g Koso sliders.
Mr Stiffy

Post by Mr Stiffy »

11g sliders
1500k spring
That should take care of the takeoff and hill climbing
If you want to have best of both worlds and add top end, get the dr pulley variator
Mikestib1

Sliders

Post by Mikestib1 »

I just bought a Cb1100 so ill do the sliders and the NCY exhaust. Not sure why the entire variator would need replacing plus I'm broke at the moment!
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Anyone know what the stock slider weights are on the 170I? I used to know because I put in Dr. Pulley weights of the same weight sometime last year or the year before. Can't remember the weight now & I can't find my old post mentioning it. Anyway I'm planning on going to a slightly heavier Dr. Pulley slider weight this time.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Mikestib1

Stock roller weight

Post by Mikestib1 »

11 grams. I replaced mine with Dr,Pulley same weight for better acceleration and maintaining speed on hills. Top speed unaffected.
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Thanks. Will try the 13 gram next. Maybe 12 if they make those.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X