Buddy 170i acceleration disappointing

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mikestib1

Buddy 170i acceleration disappointing

Post by Mikestib1 »

Granted I only have 400 miles on mine, but it is ridden in the city with a lot of stop and go riding, no constant speed riding and about 40 10 mile rides so I assume the engine is broken in. Never wide open throttle. Top speed is fine but acceleration is a little disappointing. I weigh 175 pounds. I've owned several 150cc Chinese scooters that seem as quick up to 40 mph. Does anyone know the stock roller weights value? I would like to replace mine with lighter ones for acceleration and hills. 55 mph top speed is fine real mph not bmph!. I never take a passenger or ride on high speed roads. Don't want to go too light on the weights and be revving the engine to death at 40 mph indicated. If I knew what came in it stock, I would probably go 10 or 15 percent lighter. Bought the 170 for the fuel injection not for speed. Have read it's not as quick as the Buddy 125 from a stop. If you have a 170 and have changed the roller weights I could use your help. Please no theory, just actual experience.
I have changed the oil and filter and as it starts immediately, idles perfectly,and runs well it is not a matter of valve adjustment, but I plan to adjust the valves at 1500 miles and a valve adjustment is not a 300 km service requirement. I use Castrol Actevo Xtra 10w40 semi synthetic oil. Thanks for your help
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

If you're not riding it with full throttle yet you're not experiencing the scooter's best acceleration. The torque converter transmission allows you to rev the engine to its peak power band and leave it there while it shifts continuously as the scooter accelerates. It's one of the things that makes modern auto scooters so much fun to ride. Sounds like you're not there yet.
Mikestib1

Full throttle

Post by Mikestib1 »

Full throttle gives me plenty of speed on level grades and room to accelerate. Up to 40 mph from a stop there is no difference in speed at the end of 2 blocks wide open or 3/4 throttle. I'm going to 11g slider weights for acceleration.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Our buddies started to loosen up @ 2k miles. At 17k miles, it feels fluid compared to a new one that feels 'stiff' (though my shocks are worn).

Just put some miles on it. After the 600 mile service, ride it a little harder and some WOT. Beforehand, be a little nicer to it.
Mikestib1

Miles til engine is broken in

Post by Mikestib1 »

I find it surprising a Buddy four stroke engine for the piston, rings, and bearings takes 3 times more miles than my past Triumph, Honda, Yamaha, and Suzukis I have owned from new. It's more likely the 170 makes only a little more power than the 125. If I'm not mistaken 11.2 vs 9.8. The 125 is quick for its engine size. The 170 has fuel injection and the benefit of quick starting in any climate, not affected by altitude, and less susceptible to fuel gumming up a carburetor. It's not very peppy for the 170cc engine size. I plan to go to 11g sliders and a NCY exhaust for better acceleration and hills