Trouble starting Buddy 125 need help.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroeder

Trouble starting Buddy 125 need help.

Post by schroeder »

I have been having trouble starting this baby up. It turns over but will not start sometimes. Most times really. I had been kick starting it, but this is not always working either. Battery is fine. Once It starts and I ride it, it wants to stall out. But after about 5 minutes of running it everything seems fine. No more stalling when I stop. Thought it might be the automatic choke, but I am no mechanic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

How do you know the battery is fine? Did you test it with a multimeter? Also, how many miles on your scoot? What year? When was the last time the fuel system was checked and/or carburetor was cleaned? You might have a bad autocock under your fuel tank, bad vacuum pipe, or you may have to change your gas filters (in the fuel tank or in the fuel line). When was the last time you changed out your spark plug?
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Multimeter only shows the current voltage level. To really test a battery you need to measure the voltage under load. Harbor Freight has a Load Tester for under $20, I think I paid $16 for mine. With the small scooter battery you want to load it for about 3 seconds max.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Duplicate Post.
Last edited by cummingsjc on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I was referring to testing the battery while static, while starting the bike, while under load, and also to see if there is a parasitic drain. I apologize for not being more specific.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

battery on multimeter registers 13.3 and is less than a year old. no chance it is the choke?
Me? I ride for the bugs!