Prepping a Buddy 50 for winter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasong222

Prepping a Buddy 50 for winter

Post by jasong222 »

Hello-

Getting the Buddy ready for storage/winter. Many things I've read indicate a long checklist of things to do to store the bike for a couple months.

But the lady at my local shop with the crazy-well-respected repair guy says that as long as it's stored inside, not that much really has to be done with it. Actually, kinda, nothing- just store it. She did say that it'd be better if I could get in and start it every several weeks but that even that was just 'better, not deal breaking'.

Any thoughts?

(NYC, reasonably mild winters, temps can get down to 20-25 (-5 to -10) or so for a couple weeks during the peak, but usually more hover around 32 (0). Dry air, some snow that varies between a little and medium amount. (And again, I'm trying to find a place to store indoors.)

(And and- Got the scooter, my first to own, at the beginning of summer. Not riding as often anymore, so I have more time to log in and ask tons of newbie questions. Thanks for your patience, lol!)
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If it is stored inside, and will not be ran for 2 to 3 months, I would fill the tank and add 2 oz of seafoam. Run it for a couple of miles so the additive will get into the carb. I'd also put it on a trickle charger. Those small batteries don't like to sit idle for very long.
jasong222

Thanks!

Post by jasong222 »

DeeDee wrote:If it is stored inside, and will not be ran for 2 to 3 months, I would fill the tank and add 2 oz of seafoam. Run it for a couple of miles so the additive will get into the carb. I'd also put it on a trickle charger. Those small batteries don't like to sit idle for very long.
Thanks for the tips- I'll look in to both of those. Though they seem maybe a little on the 'better safe than sorry" end of the necessity scale (as opposed to absolutely necessary...)
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Personally, I don't do much in the way of 'winterising' my scooter. A shot of seafoam in the tank and my battery tender if it's to sit an extended period of time. Mine is kept in my attached, un-heated garage and I 'see' it daily. Will hook up the tender for a day and un-hook it for a week or so as the spirit moves me. That said, I prefer to keep it ready to go at a moment's notice as I pretty much ride year round as long as there's no snow and ice on the roads. (I rode to work just yesterday, it was 33F when I left the house, 65F when I headed home at the end of the day.)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jd

Post by jd »

Do the Seafoam. It's cheap insurance.

As for the battery tender, it will pay for itself in just a few years. Leaving one of these little batteries sitting all winter will shorten its life, and you'll end up spending more on a new battery than a cheap tender would have cost you. I learned the hard way. Save yourself the aggravation. This little guy is all you need and it will serve you well.

Don't forget that you can always remove the battery and put the tender on it wherever, in case the bike's parked location is not convenient to have a tender hanging from it.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I use Star*Tron in the gas of all my scooters before I put them down for the winter. I also keep Battery Tenders on them year round. I typically get 5-7 years out of my batteries which I attribute to this practice.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I bought this one on sale for $6.00 4 years ago:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic- ... 69955.html

Still going strong.