200 mile first service

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mikestib1

200 mile first service

Post by Mikestib1 »

Seems ridiculously low mileage. Hard to believe an oil and filter and gear oil change is necessary until 500 miles on a 4 stroke. Guess I need to get it done for the warranty to be valid. I'm waiting to 300 miles. Maybe the oil they use at assembly is vegetable oil! What's up with Genuine? Don't expect much comment as it is what it is. And Genuine makes the rules
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

As far as I know, 500 miles is OK and won't affect the warranty. Unless they changed it since I got mine in 2007.
Last edited by Tazio on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

This is service for the Buddy 170, correct?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The Genuine Dealer here in Denver, tells you to bring it in at 500 miles. I've had a 125 and 170i, 500 miles is when I did the first service on both.
Mikestib1

Owners manual engine break in and periodic maintenance

Post by Mikestib1 »

The manual I have covers Buddy models 50 thru 170i all 4 strokes show oil and filter change and gear oil change at 300 km or 200 miles. I'll get it done at 300 miles at the dealer and do the next one at 1800 miles and keep my receipts. Genuine not the dealer determines the service intervals. I bought my 170i new and want to keep the warranty and roadside assistance in affect.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

No one has ever reported on this site, a warranty eligibility issue based on whether the first service was done at 200 miles, or 350 miles, or 500 miles. I'd talk it over with your dealer and act accordingly. The modern Vespas all call for first service at 600 miles, which makes me lean toward several hundred miles before a complete service. I have noticed a few owners post that they have changed the engine oil at 200 and then had a complete service done at 500 miles including another oil change. Oil is cheap so that is a way to be doubly careful. Modern machining tolerances and less common use of "break-in" oils makes this a less critical decision than it might once have been.