Charging a buddy through USB port?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddy801

Charging a buddy through USB port?

Post by buddy801 »

Hey everybody, this might be a stupid question, but i can't find anything on the forum. I bought a 2014 buddy 125, and i want to get a battery tender jr. After looking on some of the forums i saw that you could attach the battery tender jr through the cigarette lighter, after looking on my scooter all i have is a USB port where i could charge a phone. I know i could do it the normal way with connecting the tender directly to the battery, but if i could do through the USB like the cigarette lighter it would be easier.

Is it possible to charge the scooter's battery through the USB port?
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

USB is 5.1 volts output, not the 12 to 13 volts a charger would put out. Do the newer scooters have a USB and no lighter socket? My Blackjack has the lighter only.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

The newer Buddy scooters listed on Genuine's homepage list a USB port to charge your mobile device vice a DC port; however, I don't know when they made the switch.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The USB port is a 5V output only, do not attempt to plug a battery charger into this or you'll damage the 5V regulator circuit. The battery tender should come with a pigtail that gets connected directly to the battery, allowing one to plug/unplug the tender.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey buddy801, Welcome to Modern Buddy! That's actually a really good question you've asked but the others are right about not trying to pump power back to the battery through the USB.

Again, Welcome to Modern Buddy!
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I would never consider it. Buy a charger that has a SAE quick connect. Connect pigtail to battery, that way, you can use quite a few different chargers.